Jags V Saints 01/02/2017

Lindau

First half was a good performance but just couldnt get a goal. Their keeper made a brilliant stop from Keown. 2nd half st johnstone just sat in and we lost our flow and never really looked like scoring.

Ref was as shocking as ever. Time wasting by St Johnstone, taking ages to blow his whistle after fouls and 50/50 decisions where both players at it seem to go saints way. Few other decision in the last few minutes were shocking including one which to me look like the saints player through himself at Lawless and missed nut somehow got a free kick.Elliot sending off was probably correct but it should never have come to that as the saints player sat on the ball and the ref never got him to move.

Stupid by Elliot but in my opinion should have been replaced by Dumbaya at some point in the second half as he never tried once to take on his man and hit the by-line.

Well that was one of the worst games of football I have ever witnessed, That lot must be horrific to play against. Constant time wasting and that carry on in the corner in the last three minutes beggared belief. Might be proved wrong but Christie looked as if he was trying to get the ball from between the St Johnstone players legs to get the free kick taken quickly. The whole experience was depressing tonight. Dreadful crowd, no atmosphere, very little singing in the North, shocking performance, pitiful game. Only pass marks I can give is to Barton and Cerny had nothing to do. That was probably the worst game I have seen Lawless play in a jags jersey and there were a few not far behind him! Absolute shocker of a goal to give away a near 400 minute shut out record. I really do hate St Johnstone but in saying that we were our own worst enemies tonight. The whole team looked as if it had been struck by a flu virus, so poor was the performance and effort!

Edited by Lindau

I can agree that the second half was truly dreadful as we resorted to their style of high ball play and head tennis.

However, I thought we were great in the first half and played them off the park for about 35 of the 45 minutes.

Did Cerny even have a save to make at all?

It's the lack of a predatory striker that is killing us.

• Like 1

I think Archie's tactical ineptitude when it comes to attacking was shown tonight. Defence apart from the goal was fine, but we have nothing going forward. The prevailing attitude is "just put it wide and see what happens." Can't cross and can't cut inside, so we make do with a few passes in the corner before losing it. Arguably our best chances came when we played through the middle, but we do it so rarely.

Sickening second half. Got the hump!

• Like 2

Could have been a couple up before gifting the goal. Never looked like scoring after.

What was the game plan in the last 20 mins or so? Hoof it into the box to that great threat in the air.... I mean if you are going to do that you need to throw Liam or Adam (who was honking tonight) into the box.

We are trying to walk the ball into the net, threading the eye of the needle around the box. It gets far too congested, breaks down or goes out wide for a cross to hit the first defender.

Erskine - rotten

Lawless - rotten

Edwards - fell right out the game

Doolan - love the guy but doesn't look a threat at the minute.

That's our forward threat and none of them played well.

And don't start me on St Johnstone, their gamesmanship would get football stopped.

Azeez and Amoo up front tells its own story. We could still be playing and wouldn't score a goal.

Shocking lack of creativity in the 2nd half and too many players not demanding the ball.

Wayward passes, hoofball and poor tackling.

I'm guessing it's back to basics in training the next couple of days.

Edited by Big Col
  • Like 1

Made too many, thankfully uncharacteristic, errors for mine. Strolled it like he was too good for the game yet made basic mistakes especially with his passing.

Still think he was our best player but that ain't saying much to be honest. Other than Booths error that game had 0-0 written all over. Two very poor sides on the night. The failure to get a striker in when it's clear than we needed one, could come back to haunt us come the end of the season

Absolutely terrible game of football played by both sides. And people wonder why the crowds in Scottish football are terrible.

Only player that got pass marks for me was Edwards. Erskine, lawless and Doolan the three worst performers. Dools doesn't look like he's ever gonna score again.

All the talk of top 6 and we produce that at home against a poor St Johnstone side. Absolute shambles.

• Like 1

Dreadful advert for football and similar to the game on Saturday (fairly solid at the back and creating a couple of chances without taking them - the only difference was gifting Saintees a goal as they didn't look like scoring)

We do seem to struggle against teams who play anti football. We had the whole of the second half to get a result and didn't looking like scoring.

Much as I hate teams doing what Saintees did, I would have been delighted if we had fluked a goal then hung on for the win. I am however becoming increasingly less inclined to fork out to watch what is presented as entertainment.

The sooner we get back to 352 with Barton at the centre of the back three the better. Thought we did ok first half with Clark making two excellent saves. The goal was a disaster from Booth and really it was the only way Saints were going to score. Second half was an absolute disgrace, guys like Erskine, Lawless and Doolan were so bad it was beyond belief. Looked a stonewall penalty, no wonder the boy was raging.

That was a game of two halves...the first half was a reasonably entertaining match and the second half was an eye-bleeding atrocity.

We played some decent stuff in the first half and made some reasonable openings. Some excellent long passes switching the play, particularly from Welsh with Elliot running strongly and getting crosses into the box. Not for the first time we failed to score when we were on top and then gave them a gift goal from Booth's error.

At half time I was again wondering why St Johnstone have been so successful over the last few seasons - they are well organised and don't make mistakes but are a dour functional side. However, in the second half, they really played to their strengths - cynical fouls to break up the play, endless head-tennis and throw-ins and choreographed time-wasting. They picked up 3 points with having to trouble themselves with actually creating a chance.

We were hopeless in the second half and allowed the game to be strangled without us looking likely to score. Christie reverted to his normal form - completely unable to take on the defender on the outside and get in a cross. Despite going to three at the back, our full backs were far less of an attacking threat - Booth looked rattled after his mistake and seemed reluctant to get forward. Erskine had one of his off-nights and Lawless was poor...Barton & Edwards had some good touches but gave the ball away far too often...Osman was not a positive substitution.

There were times when it was like watching in slow motion as the St Johnstone player furthest from the ball walked slowly over to take throw ins. There were 4 minutes of added time...the entire time was played out within a few yards of the corner flag, 100 yards from their goal. I didn't know Elliot had been sent off until I heard Archie's interview on the way home but I would hardly condemn him for losing the plot.

I would stop going to football matches if teams had the same negative approach as St Johnstone.

• Like 1

What St Johnstone do to football matches is a disgrace! And people wonder why their manager doesn't get a gig down south?

They are awful to watch and with our lack of guile we could never pick our way past the equivalence of ten dustbins in the second half. If that is what Scottish football has become I might not be going back much in the future.

Every coming together of players it was always us who got punished as well.

What a miserable night!

• Like 1

What a miserable night!

We are just in to the second month of 2017 but that has to be the understatement of the year. The whole stadium was dead tonight (God knows what Martin Keown thought of it all) The only time the support made any effort tonight was at the end, with that carry on in the corner in front of the NS and at the final whistle with McLean and MasterPates giving it large to the supporters.

Edited by Lindau

We played well till they scored. Was it Booth or Lindsay that erred?

After that there was predictably a brick wall we could not penetrate. They are not a football team. They should be slaughtered for disservice to the beautiful game. Home games against them should be closed doors so we don't have to watch them.

If edwards had scored we would have won easily.

Earlier firhill game was similar and we should not have played both etskine and lawless against such negative opponents.

Our 3 attackers need a rocket though. They just kept conceding possession. Thought rewards was top man though he has to learn when to deliver a pass after reaching a good position.

I don't blame christie as every fan would have acted in the same frustrated manner. However his athletisism could not compensate for his lack of delivery. Muzzy should have been on at ht.

Have just seen the goal again on SSN. My God I thought it was bad from the NS but it's 100 times worse. What on earth was Callum thinking. No complaints about Christie after seeing it again. I obviously missed his wee kick. Just thought he was trying to get the ball off the guy, but he does have a dig at him!

Edited by Lindau