Jags V Saints 01/02/2017

Lindau

Have just seen the goal again on SSN. My God I thought it was bad from the NS but it's 100 times worse. What on earth was Callum thinking. No complaints about Christie after seeing it again. I obviously missed his wee kick. Just thought he was trying to get the ball off the guy, but he does have a dig at him!

I've no doubt that Booth will be the most disappointed Jags player. There's no doubt that he saw the St J player; he just miscalculated his header. He's been one of the most solid performers this season, and hopefully will put this behind him sooner than later.

He lost us at best a point. The rest of the team also lost us one, or more.

• Like 2

I've no doubt that Booth will be the most disappointed Jags player. There's no doubt that he saw the St J player; he just miscalculated his header. He's been one of the most solid performers this season, and hopefully will put this behind him sooner than later.

No, I totally agree Jagger. He has been one of the most consistent players over the last few seasons. It was just so out of character for him. I really think it did affect him as he was pretty anonymous in the 2nd half. He will bounce back.

What are the rules regarding what warming up substitutes can wear and where they can stand?

As far as I'm concerned, I found the St J subs distracting on several occasions when play was on wing as they were wearing white bibs on top of blue track suit tops, the same colours as the strips their team was playing in.

Also, at the Elliot sending off, the three subs were standing on the line in effect spectating around the corner flag and then became involved in the incident, moaning at the referee.

What are the rules regarding what warming up substitutes can wear and where they can stand?

As far as I'm concerned, I found the St J subs distracting on several occasions when play was on wing as they were wearing white bibs on top of blue track suit tops, the same colours as the strips their team was playing in.

Also, at the Elliot sending off, the three subs were standing on the line in effect spectating around the corner flag and then became involved in the incident, moaning at the referee.

It would be interesting to know if those are "tricks" that St J use regularly.

That second half reminded me of the game up at Dingwall when we missed out on the top six thingy. Like County then St Johnstone's game plan was simply to hang on to a one goal lead caused thru a defensive error. Difference last night being St J would probably have taken a draw. Even at that, like County last season, I don't particularly think their tactics of killing off the game for the last 45 mins were that smart. They did succeed so I can't put up a strong argument but even we're capable of scoring a fluke goal. Others will disagree but I don't believe I could watch the Jags win like that on a regular basis. I'd certainly welcome it now and again but I doubt I'd be buying a season ticket and/or traveling to most away games.

Don't feel Booth should be made to carry the can. He's a tidy defender that rarely causes any panic when on the ball. Even earlier in the season when the defence were leaking goals most of the games were lost/drawn primarily thru either not taking our scoring chances or not creating enough opportunities to score. Another reason for laying off Booth is just about every outfield player was found wanting. The ten starting and the three subs all had poor games. In fact Booth was maybe one of the better of the failures last night.

Can't even blame the inept ref for the result tho' he did add to what was already a dismal spectacle. If ever there was a match where the whole team was at fault then last night was a fine example. So many players were under performing I find it difficult to criticise the management re the tactics as such or the substitutions. Why they were so poor is of course a different matter.

btw I wonder if we'll appeal the sending off. If only to buy some time till Muzzy is up to 90 mins. Now where's that Ziggy fella, now that we might need him?

• Like 1

Easily said with hindsight, but I said it last night before kickoff. I think Archie put the wrong team out. I know Erskine, Lawless and Edwards have been playing well, but there's not a natural wide player among those 3. The only width was from the full backs, and they had no wide runner in front of them. We narrowed the game, forced ourselves to go long, and that can only suit a 'football' team such as St Johnstone.

I don't understand any Jags fan who attended last night not condemning St J.

No,I wouldnt go if Thistle played like that regularly. I want us to play football.I can take incompetence but not outright negativity and ante-football.

Wont stop me going to Perth where we can avenge this outrage.And get it right up them.

Easily said with hindsight, but I said it last night before kickoff. I think Archie put the wrong team out. I know Erskine, Lawless and Edwards have been playing well, but there's not a natural wide player among those 3. The only width was from the full backs, and they had no wide runner in front of them. We narrowed the game, forced ourselves to go long, and that can only suit a 'football' team such as St Johnstone.

All valid points. We did tho' win playing narrow at McDiarmid but that was in a 3-5-2.

It's virtually impossible to field Erskine and Lawless in anywhere near their best positions and have a proper balanced side. If we can get Wee Stevie over onto the right wing it's not so bad. That's why I'm hoping this Banton fella is quality.

• Like 2

I think Archie's tactical ineptitude when it comes to attacking was shown tonight. Defence apart from the goal was fine, but we have nothing going forward. The prevailing attitude is "just put it wide and see what happens." Can't cross and can't cut inside, so we make do with a few passes in the corner before losing it. Arguably our best chances came when we played through the middle, but we do it so rarely.

Sickening second half. Got the hump!

Since coming into the top division, the team has stopped taking the ball through the centre, which was how Erskine and Lawless used to score. In possession against a packed defence, there's always the possibility of a foul in or near the box, if not a shot, but our set-pieces are generally poorly taken. (Sorry, Welsh!) The current tactics seem to be to float in high crosses. Against the tall centre-backs common in Scottish football or alert goalkeepers, most of those attempts will not only fail but also concede possession, making a counter-attack more likely.

Yeah, I'd agree it was a definite red although I also thought that the St Johnstone player should have been booked for obstructing the ball/time wasting?

I also agree with much of what's ben said on here, St Johnsone are a total anti-football side, results wise that's been a success however I can't see how anyone would choose to watch that every week and their football style sums up what's wrong with much of the Scottish game.

Really can't understand the indignant views towards St Johnstone's tactics. Sure it isn't pleasing on the eye but if we had some of their professional ability /nous to close out matches I can think of a few earlier fixtures that would see us comfortably sitting in a top six position looking up rather than down. Like everything in life there needs to be a balance struck and regrettably for me when it comes to game management many of our squad are sadly lacking. An example being whilst everyone points the finger at Booth for a schoolboy error not seen many accusations towards Edwards for his ludicrous foul that lead to the ball being dropped into our box to create the mayhem, there was no need for him to make that challenge.

• Like 2

Really can't understand the indignant views towards St Johnstone's tactics. Sure it isn't pleasing on the eye but if we had some of their professional ability /nous to close out matches I can think of a few earlier fixtures that would see us comfortably sitting in a top six position looking up rather than down. Like everything in life there needs to be a balance struck and regrettably for me when it comes to game management many of our squad are sadly lacking. An example being whilst everyone points the finger at Booth for a schoolboy error not seen many accusations towards Edwards for his ludicrous foul that lead to the ball being dropped into our box to create the mayhem, there was no need for him to make that challenge.

Exactly, not a lot of eye catching football played by the Jags last night or in the previous two league games which finished 0-0 I believe?

while Edwards is good I'm not convinced he is quite as great as some make out. While Barton has been a great signing it's clear neither played well last night and I can't help but think if Welsh had missed Edwards chance or caused the free kick or made a number of misplaced passes like Barton did he would have got absolute dogs abuse.

• Like 2

Third Lanark,

I think Ryan puts an enormous amount of effort into his game. His work rate is phenomenal. The St Johnstone game saw him fall into the trap that they set. Let him attack and then surround him with three players. There is really no pass, nor shot, on for him then. Perhaps passing the ball, hopefully to another Thistle player, before he gets closed down? Just a thought.

Seemed to me that Barton had some amazing passes to wide players. And, otherwise didn't do a lot wrong. Few mistakes, but everyone made them. It was that sort of night.

Looking forward, I would like to see Mustapha getting some game time, if it will not set back his recovery.

I would also like, perhaps because I bought three Doolan 100 scarves, that we don't take him off. He had a couple of good attempts in the first half, and taking him off was one of Archie's odder decisions. Perhaps he see's things in training that we don't see, but frankly, the substitutions were inexplicable to me.

Just to add,

And I am firmly in the 'Alan Archibald' camp. Think a lot of us North Standers are.

Also, I quite like Sean Welsh.

Edited by douglas clark

I've had to leave it a couple of days before putting my thoughts on virtual paper, such was my frustration with the spectacle that assaulted our eyes on Wednesday evening. In the first half I thought we played relatively well, despite appearing slightly jittery at times. We were creating chances while limiting them to the odd foray into our box. When we conceded I was relatively calm, naively thinking we had enough to overturn the deficit. Then St Johnstone proceeded to absolutely ruin the game. I won't criticise opposition teams for playing a direct style of football. We should be good enough to overcome such tactics and at the end of the day it's up to the opposition fans, who have to watch such eye-vomit every week, to decide if they're willing to sacrifice aesthetics on the altar of top-six 'respectability'. However... what I do object to is time-wasting. None of us pay to see St Johnstone players use every trick in the book to restrict the amount of time the ball is in play. They must have started time-wasting in around the 50th minute. Imagine you were in the cinema and the projectionist decided to randomly chop sections out of the film, replacing them instead with scenes of 22 people standing in a field looking bored. You would rightly complain.

Ultimately this proved immaterial, as we could have been playing for another 45 minutes and wouldn’t have been any closer to scoring. Unfortunately we played right into their hands and started thrashing high-balls towards Azeez and Amoo. This was the only likely outcome of Archie’s substitutions, which I assume were motivated by the perception that we were being out-muscled. Osman provided some cover for the then back three, admittedly, but both Azeez and Amoo looked hesitant, bereft of confidence and utterly incapable of ruffling the St Johnstone back line. All the substitutions served to do, therefore, was strip creativity from the team, as we gradually morphed into the enemy.