Partick Thistle Vs Aberdeen Saturday 26 August

jagfox

Quite a few thoughts beginning on our lineup for this match so might as well get this thread started.

Our record against the Dons has been pretty damn poor since we came back up to the top flight. Another team we show a little too much respect too? Obviously they are a decent outfit, especially over the last couple of seasons.

So far Archibald it's a tough ask to get the right balance between defence and attack. I'd be inclined to go for a 3-5-2/ 5-3-2 but with Barton dawdling and Booth potentially missing out I'd stick with a more narrow formation.

At the back Elliott, Keown and Turnbull haven't done much wrong to date. Christie might have to switch sides though. Devine could come in on the right to make a back five but Milan looked decent on the ball yesterday so I'd go for him at right back, with Elliott on the left.

As suggested elsewhere Bannigan in for Barton is worth a shout as Stuart can get us moving from the back. Osman in the middle to break up the (opposition) play. Both need to move the ball a bit quicker when going forward and try and not cede possession too easily.

In front of them we have a number of possibilities. Edwards energy and running tends to work better against the likes of Aberdeen so I'd have him in to provide cover for Milan and close down from the right hand side. On the left I'd give Storey a go against his former charges and he'll add some pace going forward.

In the middle it's either Erskine or Lawless. I'd go for the former as he's more of a playmaker in my eyes and will hopefully enjoy having more than just Doolan as a go to option.

Up front I'll go with Conor Sammon who can bring his fellow attackers into play and has shown up pretty well for me at an early stage.

TL; DR?

Cerny

Tribiansky Keown Turnbull Elliott

Osman © Bannigan

Edwards Erskine Storey

Sammon

Scully, Devine, Barton, Lawless, Doolan, Nisbet, McCarthy, Lamont

Edited by jagfox

Elliott is not a left back. Charlie Christie will murder him next Saturday if he is fielded there.

Just our luck that Penrice gets loaned on the Friday and Callum gets done the next day.

Need to find a balance further forward. All four of Kris, Conor, Myles and Blair cannot play at the same time.

Edited by Barney Rubble

Archie has to become more positive in these matches, especially with the strength of our squad now.

Sammon and Doolan up front, with Storey and Erskine supporting going forward, Osman and Bannigan in defensive midfield with a back four of Milan, Turnbull, McKeown and Elliot. Ever reliable Cerny in goal!

There is no point in having 4/5 forwards, and not changing our formation to at least have two higher forwards on the pitch.

Barton needs a rest. He is far to cumbersome and lazy on the ball, does not try to win the ball back when he is caught out, not acceptable.

Unfortunately, just like Sean Welsh last year, opposition teams have figured out that this type of player has to be targeted and closed down to gain the ball.

Is it just me who perceives that over the last season or so, we always end the match with the line up we should have started with?

In other words we seem to start more reserved and negative, rather than going for the win from the start.

Rant over!

Elliott is not a left back. Charlie Christie will murder him next Saturday if he is fielded there.

Just our luck that Penrice gets loaned on the Friday and Callum gets done the next day.

Need to find a balance further forward. All four of Kris, Conor, Myles and Blair cannot play at the same time.

I'd fancy Elliot's chances if he's marking Charlie Christie!

Archie has to become more positive in these matches, especially with the strength of our squad now.

Sammon and Doolan up front, with Storey and Erskine supporting going forward, Osman and Bannigan in defensive midfield with a back four of Milan, Turnbull, McKeown and Elliot. Ever reliable Cerny in goal!

There is no point in having 4/5 forwards, and not changing our formation to at least have two higher forwards on the pitch.

Barton needs a rest. He is far to cumbersome and lazy on the ball, does not try to win the ball back when he is caught out, not acceptable.

Unfortunately, just like Sean Welsh last year, opposition teams have figured out that this type of player has to be targeted and closed down to gain the ball.

Is it just me who perceives that over the last season or so, we always end the match with the line up we should have started with?

In other words we seem to start more reserved and negative, rather than going for the win from the start.

Rant over!

McKeown?

Were doing well tonight, we've had charlie christie, mckeown and us to start with 12 men. I hope they dont start with wayne rooney as he is usually a handful however we might get some joy down the wings as gabby logan is their weak link.

I 100% agree with thin and thin, in tae them from the first whistle and have the game won by half time

• Like 2

Were doing well tonight, we've had charlie christie, mckeown and us to start with 12 men. I hope they dont start with wayne rooney as he is usually a handful however we might get some joy down the wings as gabby logan is their weak link.

I 100% agree with thin and thin, in tae them from the first whistle and have the game won by half time

:lol:

Good to have a bit of humour on here once in a while!

• Like 1

Aye, and yon burt Reynolds is never a defender .

Cerny

Nitriansky - Keown - Turnbull - Elliott

Osman - Bannigan

Spittal - Erskine - Lawless

Storey

Scully, Devine, Barton, McCarthy, Edwards, Doolan, Sammon.

That's a good lineup the only changes I would make are Doolan in for Storey and Edwards in for either Bannigan or Osman as that midfield looks a bit slow.