Partick Thistle Vs Aberdeen Saturday 26 August

jagfox

I'm sure when he goes home tonight Bobby Madden will think he had a good game as he got the major decisions right but he seems to be one of the few refs to relish getting booed. The man's an arrogant ass.

I'm genuinely not getting this - what did he get majorly wrong today?

I'd be more concerned about our defence who can't defend, and Banzo who if he isn't doing his best to get a card, is doing his best to find a way to **** it up anyway.

I'm genuinely not getting this - what did he get majorly wrong today?

I'd be more concerned about our defence who can't defend, and Banzo who if he isn't doing his best to get a card, is doing his best to find a way to **** it up anyway.

i thought the one where Banzo slipped with no Dons players around him and we get a free kick was up there for worst ref decision ever!

Aberdeen have far better players. Wright and Christie should perhaps be in the Scotland squad instead of the same old failures who will fail again next week.

We struggled to contain but fought valiantly, attackingly and skillfully. I thought 2nd half that they dominated the midfield and we couldn't provide Erskine and Spittal who looked dangerous with quality possession. I'm concerned about Banzo. He could do with a couple of games for under 20's for full match fitness. The midfield has been our weak link. Is Welshy still available? Are Lamont and McCarthy ready?

I was amazed that Barton was retained for so long as McCarthy has looked great with limited opportunity. Should gave been a double midfield change on 55 mins. I appreciate Edwards lack of creativity but he is the only mid who closes down and has some pace. He should always start against superior teams.

Distraught about result but well entertained and we probably should've secured a point. Let's face it, this was preferable to 0-1.

• Like 2

If we want to be taken seriously as a Top-6 club, we need to do a little better than 1 point out of a possible 30. Hamilton have started the season really well which wasn't expected. Even at an early stage, that puts pressure on us.

Ross County after the international break is really an important game. In order for us to get out of this abysmal run of form, Archibald and his players need to stop being a bunch of absolute beta-males, take some bloody responsibility on the pitch, defender ten times better, and stop making excuses like "it's been a tough start to the season", or "we have a lot of players out." This is a hangover from last season where we lost 5 in a row, and it doesn't seem to have gotten any better. Lets just call balls and strikes here, most managers who lose 9 on the spin would be under tremendous pressure and rightly so. I think we have the players to turn it around, and I have faith that Archie can do what he always does, but this is our worst start to a league campaign in how many decades?

Doubt that I was alone, in looking at the fixture list and assuming that we would be doing well to have any points on the board, before September? Obviously, I hoped for one or two,but did I genuinely expect any, not really.

We have had an even worse start to this season than we have had in recent seasons. However, we are all,getting a wee bit above ourselves, if we think we are an ai 'top,six club'. As the saying goes one swallow does not make a summer.

Personally, I thought today marked,a significant advance on the absolutely dire performance in Perth last week. Like everyone else I was gutted at our failure to take anything from today's game . And am certainly don't fall into the category of a 'happy clapper', but we've really just got to roll our sleeves up and start closing games out.

• Like 2

Doubt that I was alone, in looking at the fixture list and assuming that we would be doing well to have any points on the board, before September? Obviously, I hoped for one or two,but did I genuinely expect any, not really.

We have had an even worse start to this season than we have had in recent seasons. However, we are all,getting a wee bit above ourselves, if we think we are an ai 'top,six club'. As the saying goes one swallow does not make a summer.

Personally, I thought today marked,a significant advance on the absolutely dire performance in Perth last week. Like everyone else I was gutted at our failure to take anything from today's game . And am certainly don't fall into the category of a 'happy clapper', but we've really just got to roll our sleeves up and start closing games out.

So - realistically and not attempting to be an ******* - where exactly do you see us taking points this season?

And your verdict on the Thistle defence?

I thought the defence played well today, Keown and Turnbull were solid (apart from being split at the first goal), Christie was Christie and Milan did well considering its his first start. They were playing against some of the best forwards in recent SPFL history.

The central midfield on the other hand were poor and offered little cover - we missed Abdul. I thought Aberdeen shaded it although a couple of their fans were saying we are the best side they have faced this year.

I thought Madden was appalling today, although to be fair he got two big decisions right, the penalty (which I've seen back several times) and the red card. All round though he was terrible and the joyous hug for Scott Wright when he went off was ridiculous from a guy under the cosh from the home support.

All that said, think that is Madden's first time back at Firhill since his cancer - great to see him back after overcoming what was probably a horrific experience for him and his family.

Final word on the penalty - stonewaller and stupid shove from Banzo...but a shove identical to that which Biton got away with the other week

Can't believe Barton lasted the game. Another match where he continually gave the ball away in dangerous positions, getting the ball stuck under his feet. As a team we need to push out away from the box and close players down to prevent the type of ball in that led to the last goal.

Going to agree with you about Barton, he's undoubtedly got ability but he's never a midfield player, doesn't like a tackle and no genuine pace about him.

He's definitely best in a back 3 which he played with great effect last season , if that's not the way Archie wants his team set out he shouldn't be a first choice midfielder as the ball is given away far too often by him .

Know this is going to polarise opinion, but Sean Welsh is missed out there from last season , our best run of results last season was when Welsh was involved and playing well.

Thought it was bizarre he wasn't offered some sort of deal , especially as Bannigan is trying to get back to full fitness after his injury problems and also Gary Fraser who has been injured long term.

Could see the logic in it if it was going to help the pathway for McCarthy, Mark Lamont etc to get games but just my opinion that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Things I learned from today. Ref was abysmal although got big decisions correct. For the penalty it was a stonewaller, but to be fair to Bannigan he had been wound up about 10 seconds earlier when the Dons player grabbed both his feet with his arms and made Banzo fall, right infront of the ref too. Should have been a free kick and then no penalty would have occurred.

Secondly, the defending was poor from crossed balls from both teams, pretty shocking to be honest.

Thirdly, I gave Connor a little bit of a hard time today, and the one time he heard it, he won the ball and then won us a throw in, he turned around and stared and I applauded his efforts. To be fair he wasn't the worst and is playing out of position but at times his work rate is poor. He proved me wrong that once and generally got into good areas going forward but i feel he is a bit lost on the wing.

Point #4 is about Cerny, Tomas has been outstanding for us but his distribution when we want to counter fast or punt the ball up the park is awful. He can't kick the ball to the half way line, presumably to do with his injury but it seriously limits us in options and involves in us having to absorb a lot more pressure when building from the back.

Point #5 The Midfield today was rather bizarre. Spittal although great at set pieces was largely a passenger, Banzo cost us the penalty, Barton stood off their player for the third, although it was a cracking finish, and Barton also got caught trying to do fancy footwork...

Further to this once Edwards came on he seemed to be playing defensive mid, and Barton was the more advanced midfielder, surely the sensible thing would have been to swap them?

Point #6 Archies substitutions were all reactive after losing goals, and the last two subs were laughable, they got all of 4 mins on the park.

Last but not least, overall I was impressed by the majority of the team, including Sammon despite falling off the radar in last 15mins (wasnt the only one) the failures again were mostly individual errors, which just seems to be deja vu!

I reckon we need to be looking at getting at least 12 pts from first 12 games to be in the mix with the group that will fight from 5th-12th place until the end of the season!

Know this is going to polarise opinion, but Sean Welsh is missed out there from last season , our best run of results last season was when Welsh was involved and playing well.

Thought it was bizarre he wasn't offered some sort of deal , especially as Bannigan is trying to get back to full fitness after his injury problems and also Gary Fraser who has been injured long term.

Could see the logic in it if it was going to help the pathway for McCarthy, Mark Lamont etc to get games but just my opinion that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Absolutely spot on. Baffling that Fraser got a deal to sit in the stand all season while Welsh got the bump.

Things I learned from today. Ref was abysmal although got big decisions correct. For the penalty it was a stonewaller, but to be fair to Bannigan he had been wound up about 10 seconds earlier when the Dons player grabbed both his feet with his arms and made Banzo fall, right infront of the ref too. Should have been a free kick and then no penalty would have occurred.

My apologies for the selective quote of an otherwise sound analysis, but how on earth does Banzo getting wound up ten seconds before justify his idiocy less that two minutes before half-time?

Our midfield is pathetically weak, Too much emphasis on defensive play. Too slow in moving the ball from defence to attack, Most of them are injury prone and obviously not fit.

This has been the case for too many seasons now.

We need tacklers and bullying types with some leadership qualities.

It is consistently nullifying all the other good work being done throughout the rest of the team.

• Like 1

I'm still not sure what to make of that game...Aberdeen were quicker & slicker and far more of an attacking threat than when I have seen them previously and I don't think Thistle played that well individually or collectively...but getting a point would not have been completely undeserved.

There must have been at least 20 games at Firhill since we were promoted where we have outplayed the opposition in the first half but failed to capitalise on our superiority so it was a nice change to be 2-1 ahead by scoring from our only serious attacks as we approached half time. At the time, I thought it looked a soft penalty but a stupid one to give away with a challenge on a player going nowhere who had already shown that he falls down easily. There were numerous other clear pushes throughout the game where no fouls were given...May bear-hugged Keown in the penalty area at a corner...Logan blatantly pulled back Sammon but wasn't booked...so if it all evens up over the season, we must be due a few decisions soon.

Cerny again looked a fine keeper with a brilliant save from Christie's miscued hook shot. My first look at the new signings, Nitriansky is a Czech version of Gary Miller and Turnbull a solid defender. Difficult to assess Spittal as he was on the far side both halves - two goals from his corners but otherwise did nothing particularly good or bad. Sammon was ok apart from being a bit half-hearted at challenging for high balls and giving space and time to Logan in the lead up to the winning goal...we have lost a lot of similar goals from this area - Motherwell and Inverness last season.I don't think I will grow to love Sammon particularly if our tactics are to fire long high diagonal balls to him on the wing.

Towards the end of last season after Sean Welsh was out injured, I had concerns about our midfield. Ryan Edwards has lots of energy but not much expertise, Osman has laboured with injuries, will Gary Fraser ever be fit? Banzo was a quality player but will he too be diminished by injury? We did fall out of the game today when he was substituted.

And Barton? He had the "Wow" factor in a 3-man defence but my view was that he was an average midfielder. He was more liability than asset today - repeatedly caught in possession - he doesn't have the quick feet and strength for a SPFL midfielder.

Bobby Madden added to the entertainment value with an eccentric display highlighted by his warm handshake and hug to Scott Wright(who looks a player) when he should have booked him for time-wasting. Rather galling that he blew the final whistle when we had a corner.

The most vociferous critics of our team/manager are our absent fans. What is it about watching matches on the telly that fires them up so much?

It's amusing, isn't it? They want consistent top six finishes, they demand better defenders, they demand that Archie improves - just don't expect them to turn up to Firhill anytime soon. Incredible arrogance and delusion.

I have to laugh at the usual suspects using our poor run of form towards the end of last season as a stick to beat Archie with by adding them on to our games so far this season, giving us the '9 straight defeats' statistic.

You can be sure that the same posters would still be on here with the knives out had we won our last ten games of last season before losing our first four of this season.

Some pretty pathetic excuses for supporters on here.

• Like 1