Line Up V Dungdee

Paukea

In response to the Street... it obviously was not dreadful, we came from behind to win the game! A gutsy performance if not a great one. Given confidence has been low let’s see what happens next. Get some perspective and give credit for some great effort today and a much improved performance from the last couple of games.

• Like 1

Long way to go yet but the commitment and effort that has been missing was there today and that is a good starting point. Earlier and better subs from the manager helped massively.Barton better if not great in a deeper role. Edwards can be heidless but massive, massive effort from him , ran his heart out..The back four looks fragile but got better as the game went on. Lots of arguing between them ,did devine push Turnbull? Turbull looks awful awkward in that position but id stick with it for now.

We need this attitude and commitment every week and its Archies job to ensure that. Think we carried a bit of luck today but its true that the harder you work the luckier you get.

Last word to Thomas the cat. I LOVE YOU ,DEEPLY.

• Like 2

Quick thoughts before I head out.

It was ugly as hell but that is what we hopefully need to kick start our season.

Starting XI was too easy for Dundee, high balls to Sammon was food and drink to O'Dea, Meekings etc.

Don't really like to single players out but Sammon was hopeless. His attitude terrible.

The difference Doolan and Storey made when they came on was night and day.

The defence were very shaky all day but hopefully the win will give them their confidence back.

Thought the game passed McCarthy by a bit, doesn't look fit enough.

Lawless I think deserves great credit for the way he stuck to his task at left wing back. The Dundee right back was excellent and Stevie handled him well. He showed a great attitude throughout.

Doolan's composure for the winner was brilliant, put it on a plate for Storey.

Overall though, none of us would be celebrating this win if it wasn't for Tomas Cerny. His penalty save was a turning point but his save at 1-1 could potentially be a season changer.

It wasn't brilliant but it's 3 points and something to work on.

Enjoy your beers!

• Like 1

Scenes.

That was a game we should never have won but, hell, on occasions too numerous to recall these particular tables have been turned in a direction opposed to our interests. I much prefer it this way.

I agree with much of what King Kenny has said above. Lawless, while not flawless at wing-back, did a job and gave it everything. We looked shaky at the back and I'm concerned that teams are actively seeking to capitalise on Keown's lack of height. On this occasion Moussa continually gravitated towards Niall, particularly in the first half. When we switched to a back three this seemed to be less of an issue. McCarthy was a bit lost at times, positionally, and looked heavy-legged, perhaps because he hasn't played much recently due to a development league ban. And McGinn had a game to forget. Getting back to the positives though, I thought Barton had a decent game, despite the protestations of fellow fans who seem to think he should run like a 100 metre sprinter. Also, Spittal and Doolan looked sharp when they came on. Storey needs to get his head up at times though. Finally, big Tam Cerny was obviously immense. A penalty save and what looked from the JHS like an incredible double save in the second half.

If we can keep hoovering up points with scrappy performances such as this, while we await the return of players from injury, I'll take it. Mon the Jags.

• Like 1

What exactly is the off-side rule regarding a player being "active" particularly in the second phase - must admit I might just agree with McCann's (inadvertent?) pun regarding "Miles being miles offside" - seems a rather easily mis-interpreted rule - not that tonight is any time to be complaining about it.

On the downside for Dundee - how many times did their players wave imaginary cards in order to try to get Thistle players booked? I thought that particular action was now outlawed and should result in an actual booking for the perpitrator of the silly hand wave. :yellow_card:

What a difference from last week. Much more movement off the ball in the centre of the park, much faster movement of the ball, plenty of 50:50 balls won, and most of the mistakes made were made when attacking at pace. This win should make a big difference to the confidence of both the team and the management. A good performance at Hamilton on Tuesday - even a well fought draw, will put the dismal performances against Motherwell and Kilmarnock in perspective.

Wow. That game had almost everything. Here's my thoughts.

First Half

Atrocious. Dreadful. Soul destroying. Our formation was not working. There were big gaps between midfield and attack and also midfield and defence. Our midfield was not there. Felt sorry for Sammon as there was nothing for him. Leitch-Smith was ripping us apart. Keown was getting targeted in the air and Kamara and Moussa were a handful. Cerny was lucky not to be sent off with the rule change but his save was great.

Second Half

Fair play to Archie for making some quick substitutions. The formation worked better with Lawless doing not bad as LWB. We showed some fight and some passes were made. Erskine and McCarthy were rightly taken off as they were poor. Storey and Spittal really livened things up and Dools cross was nice and calm for the winner.

We got lucky. It was ugly and end to end stuff. If it had been a draw I would have been happy but a win was superb. Dundee must feel cheated. That O'Dea is a walloper. Good support from he North Stand today!

Obviously glad we won but if you think that was anything other than dreadful you're kidding yourself.

Don't understand this attitude. It's like you want to be negative just to fight your corner. This is football. If your team wins in the last minute then you go mental and to hell with the performance. We have a good team but have had terrible results.

If there's one thing we needed it's a break. We got one. Smile.

• Like 4

Wow. That game had almost everything. Here's my thoughts.

First Half

Atrocious. Dreadful. Soul destroying. Our formation was not working. There were big gaps between midfield and attack and also midfield and defence. Our midfield was not there. Felt sorry for Sammon as there was nothing for him. Leitch-Smith was ripping us apart. Keown was getting targeted in the air and Kamara and Moussa were a handful. Cerny was lucky not to be sent off with the rule change but his save was great.

Second Half

Fair play to Archie for making some quick substitutions. The formation worked better with Lawless doing not bad as LWB. We showed some fight and some passes were made. Erskine and McCarthy were rightly taken off as they were poor. Storey and Spittal really livened things up and Dools cross was nice and calm for the winner.

We got lucky. It was ugly and end to end stuff. If it had been a draw I would have been happy but a win was superb. Dundee must feel cheated. That O'Dea is a walloper. Good support from he North Stand today!

Erskine was playing well and linking up with McGinn, McCarthy was scrapping for everything in the midfield and made a few good passes so I disagree.

• Like 3

Archie, tactical genius.

Saw it wasn't working, formation and 3 changes. Can't remember seeing Archie and especially Shaggy so animated on the bench during a game, also nice to see Kenny Arthur nipping the 4th officials ear during the second half.

Confidence and communication was hugely improved compared to last week and we're as good as any team in the bottom six.

Yeah there a few guys still need a kick up the arse but from here we move on and go for 3 points at NDP and we jump above Hamilton.

If you're not going on Tuesday you should, get behind the team make yourself heard, and get there early cause the turnstiles at NDP are a nightmare

• Like 1

I genuinely thought after we went 1-0 down and lost the penalty that was that. Glad I was wrong.

Also I will admit to being wrong last week, I thought Archie had lost the dressing room but today showed that they will fight for him. I still think he takes too long to make decisions however today he was like a man possessed. I am hoping he continues to prove me wrong and keep his job, I am glad I got over last weeks anger and went today and not only that I am glad I stuck with it today.

Congratulations to the team on winning and hopefully they follow it up with a victory against Hamilton.

Archie, keep proving me wrong please. And I will happily admit I am wrong time and time again this season.

• Like 1

Definitely, just at the time I thought we should've took off Barton for Storey instead of McCarthy and Lawless off for Spittal instead of taking off Erskine.

Yeh, don't think anyone would've been surprised if that had happened. I thought at the time McCarthy was our best outfield player but that in reality is faint praise.

What's unarguable is the substitutions (and who knows the timing as well) were the game changers. Being bottom of the league it was hardly surprising how shaky we were. I was tho' rather surprised just how fragile Dundee were when the game turned against them.

Erskine was playing well and linking up with McGinn, McCarthy was scrapping for everything in the midfield and made a few good passes so I disagree.

It's all about opinions! I was struggling with the formation. Was McCarthy playing wide right in midfield 4-4-2? Anyone could have been subbed and no one would have complained. Barton was another I would support but him and Edwards were not working.