Line Up V Dungdee

Paukea

I am sure Dundee have benefitted from dodgy decisions. I reckon a couple of their players could have had red cards yesterday for two footed tackles

Not saying we were great. But I definitely reckon we had two more abject performances this month alone.

Agree. What's so obvious tho' is, irrespective of performances, with poor results piling up so have the nerves and lack of confidence. With that in mind it's easy to view yesterday as just as poor as the previous two games. Felt we were marginally better and it was individual nervy errors rather than teamwork that let us down.

Disnae know the rules

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36047575

To be fair to McCann he shook hands with every player and all our coaching staff at the end

I noticed that too on the TV, fair play to McCann for that. The goal was onside but the rule is a bit strange as Storey clearly had an advantage in the second phase. Don’t care though, we deserve a break

For a game that had two teams who were relatively shite. It had everything and was quite entertaining in parts. Well, in an end to end, last ditch, wild tackling, ridiculous misses sort of entertainment.

Word on the street was we were going 4 at the back with Turnbull returning. It turned out to be a return to the back 5 set up with Lawless as wing back. Well, in a not crossing the half way line, man marking the winger, staying in line with your centre half's, wing back role.

The fact we won you could say it worked, but man on man, I don't think Lawless actually won the ball off his man once and was skinned quite a few times. But I take my hat off to him. He stuck rigidly to the task. His head never went down. His only attacking involvement I can remember resulted in the winner.

Inside him, Turnbull is a cracking centre half and should be a first pick. Keown isn't repeating last season's form and looks lost at times. In a back 5 Devine is a cool calm collected leader.

Outside them McGinn had a poor game, but such was the complete shambles of formation in front of him he was covering the whole right flank. His delivery was bloody stinking at times though.

In the midfield we added McCarthy, but it didn't really improve things. He seemed unfit, the game passed him by and at times it felt like he was actually just literally shadowing Barton or Edwards. When either lost possession, he was nowhere near the first pass as he was still standing about 2 yards behind Barton or Edwards. I asked early in the first half, how early can you sub a young lad without denting his confidence. The change wasn't too far away.

At times our midfield seemed missing. Barton was dropping deep into a 6. Edwards supporting Erskime and Sammon meant there was a bloody great hole in the middle of the park for their centre half's to charge into. And keep going and going.

Erskine was trying way too hard. Maybe he got a fckin roasting off Archie after Saturday. But if you try the same flick over and over and it's still not working you need to try something else.

Up top Sammon was a handful. Won his fair share of long balls and the ones he lost, he did enough to make sure the defenders header wasn't an easy clean one. But he was totally isolated and had no support at all.

Introducing Spittal allowed us to start winning second balls and get the game played in their half. Along with the introduction of Doolan and Storey it changed the game for us.

As wins go, I'll bloody take that. It wasn't pretty but it was needed and gives is something to build on.

Lastly. What can be said about Tam Cerny that hasn't been said before. The guy is a hero.

Away from the game, it was great to see Archie out in the technical area for so much of the game. The boo boys must be over the moon. What a difference it made.

On the plus side. How much quieter it is when we win. Doesn't seem to be so many folk posting nonsense just to keep the negatively going. It's like there's a small group who actually want to see us fail, just so their yearly Archie Out pish can finally be proven right.

• Like 3

If football was fair then we would not have won yesterday? As all football supporters know football is anything but! Over the last few years Dundee have been the recipients of Fortuna’s gaze on numerous occasions on their visits to Firhilll and it would be a bit rich, but not entirely surprising for their Manager to express incredulity at the outcome?

We however should welcome it with open arms as the gaze of fortune has often been turned away from us in the past.

Away from the game, it was great to see Archie out in the technical area for so much of the game. The boo boys must be over the moon. What a difference it made.

On the plus side. How much quieter it is when we win. Doesn't seem to be so many folk posting nonsense just to keep the negatively going. It's like there's a small group who actually want to see us fail, just so their yearly Archie Out pish can finally be proven right.

This.

• Like 1

If any actual Thistle supporter wants Thistle to fail then they aren't true fans. I vent my frustrations and concerns about Thistle because I care abut them. We all have different opinions on how success can be achieved and Wether we put them over on here in a way that other posters disagree with makes the forum the beauty that it is. And so as I don't disappoint some on her, in my opinion, the jury is still out on Archie.

• Like 1

No matter what Archie has been a great manager for the club, its all about opinions although I don't agree that the jury's out, so far he's improved every season including promotion and working with one of the lowest budgets in the league. If he fails over the next four seasons then his record would be tainted but so far there's really no argument or case to answer. He's proven beyond doubt to be a success

Edited by sb1876

The Sunday Mail match report lists the teams as;

Partick Thistle- Cerny, Nitriansky, Devine, Keown, McGinn, Edwards, Barton, Spittal, Erskine, Storey, Doolan. Subs, McCarthy, Sammon.

Dundee- McDonald, Greer, Broadfoot, Findlay, O'Donnell, McKenzie, Power, Jones, Taylor, Boyd, Frizzell. Subs, Thomas, Waters, Erwin.

A total disgrace and an indication of how much they care about Clubs and fans outwith the OF.

The Sunday Mail match report lists the teams as;

Partick Thistle- Cerny, Nitriansky, Devine, Keown, McGinn, Edwards, Barton, Spittal, Erskine, Storey, Doolan. Subs, McCarthy, Sammon.

Dundee- McDonald, Greer, Broadfoot, Findlay, O'Donnell, McKenzie, Power, Jones, Taylor, Boyd, Frizzell. Subs, Thomas, Waters, Erwin.

A total disgrace and an indication of how much they care about Clubs and fans outwith the OF.

Also we were chanting "You don't what you are doing" against Archie according to Anthony Haggerty. Things like this don't do the the press any favours.

Was anything said about him being out of the squad?

When asked about his injury Stuart said that he needed (or already had, I can't recall) minor surgery to clean out a "floating chip" in his knee.

He said that it had been bothering him for some time now but was kinda vague about when he would be ready to return....although reading between the lines he did make it sound it might be sooner rather than later.

Thought the fans on the whole were great yesterday.

Would have been very easy to get on the players backs after the start but that wasn't the case. Plenty of encouragement and the North Stand were in good voice.

The usual few were shouting their displeasure at every move but they do that when we're 3-0 up as well :-)

Surely it was aimed at the referee's inconsistent decisions!

Yes, definitely. There were 2 specific instances which provoked the chanting directed at the referee. One was a very clear deliberate handball by Dundee in the first half, which it seemed impossible for the referee and both assistants to miss. This led to an attack that almost resulted in a goal for Dundee. I cannot remember the details of the second instance.

Still think there is case for us working on a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 formation as an interim default while we are missing Osman, Booth and Elliot. Set up to frustrate, contain and hit on the break. Feel our way into the game then use what we have off the bench to tailor our attack.

I appreciate the style Archie wants to instil, but it's proving hard to assert ourselves with so many out. "Rope-a-dope" does not mean abandoning your principles, rather just picking your moment to show your hand. Last three games we have been pretty dopey and on the ropes but not by design. It's arguable we showed more fight and determination yesterday, that we were able to assert ourselves better, but it's surely not debatable that we rode our luck a bit before delivering the sucker punches.

That said...

The game is 90mins.

The season is 38 games....

25u30i9.jpg

Archie's army is marching on,

Partick Thistle are for ever and ever.

Never give up.

• Like 2

When asked about his injury Stuart said that he needed (or already had, I can't recall) minor surgery to clean out a "floating chip" in his knee.

He said that it had been bothering him for some time now but was kinda vague about when he would be ready to return....although reading between the lines he did make it sound it might be sooner rather than later.

He said that he should be back 4 to 6 weeks after surgery - but wasn't clear whether he'd already had the surgery or not....