Martin Woods

javeajag

Don’t think anyone could have predicted so may players being injured, Osman in particular plus Brannigan having to get his knee (?) tweaked again, and maybe Fraser was expected back a little earlier, plus arguably Barton and Edwards being inconsistent (depending on your point of view)...

During the summer my hope was for defenders and attackers and not midfielders.

Well presumably we tried to sign midfielders in the summer? Ones that were actually targeted by the club, which obviously did not include this chap.

Do you disagree? Do you not think we targeted and tried to sign midfielders in the summer?

Apologies if I'm wrong (put it down to an age thingy) but all talk in the summer was about us signing central defender(s), another striker and a wide attacker. I was at the Training Day Q & A and Archie didn't surprise us with the areas targeted. Obviously subsequent injuries to full backs required attention but nowhere have I read anything about central midfielders been targeted. I've not got the stamina to read relevant threads but I doubt you'll find many posts suggesting that signing a central midfielder was a priority and as I say Archie more or less confirmed that at the Q &A. Going with Osman, Barton, McCarthy, Edwards, Bannigan and later, Fraser looked a lot healthier than other areas in the squad.

Well presumably we tried to sign midfielders in the summer? Ones that were actually targeted by the club, which obviously did not include this chap.

Do you disagree? Do you not think we targeted and tried to sign midfielders in the summer?

I don't think a need for midfielders was mentioned during the summer - defenders and strikers were. My own personal feeling was that we needed backup for Osman. But even so, identifying and targeting someone is totally different from attracting them to and signing them for the club.

I think this is simple ....

We have lots of injuries

They are to full backs and midfielders

As a result we have another midfielder playing full back

We are for both reasons short in midfield

So the club try to sign an available midfielder

Seems sensible and shows the board trying to help the manager

• Like 4

Forgetting whether he was a target or not, in our current predicament we do need a midfielder who is available now, not in January. Martin Woods fits the bill and is proven in this league.At 31, it probably wouldn't be a long contract, but if the gaffer thinks he can get upto speed then I recall that he had a bit of dig about him (something we are lacking), but also got involved up front. Given the current situation, I would welcome this signing if it happens

Forgetting whether he was a target or not, in our current predicament we do need a midfielder who is available now, not in January. Martin Woods fits the bill and is proven in this league.At 31, it probably wouldn't be a long contract, but if the gaffer thinks he can get upto speed then I recall that he had a bit of dig about him (something we are lacking), but also got involved up front. Given the current situation, I would welcome this signing if it happens

Agree