Motherwell 13/12/17

Auld Jag

Because up until now, or at least up until the next couple of games. There's been no one else to play there.

Osman out

Bannigan out

McCarthy out

Fraser not yet fit

Woods not yet fit

He's playing his 6th and 7th choice centre midfielders. Because there's no one else

6th and 7th choice, you sure?

The lack of a left back is a massive issue. It limits us in so many ways. Then we could go to a back 4, push Devine or even try Milan (strange signing) as a defensive midfielder to protect the back 2 and allow Barton and Edwards to push on knowing there is cover. Turnbull has to try to cover whoever is on the left as they are not a defender.

Can McGinn not go to the left and put Milan in at right back. At least then we have a defender over there.

Ach, what do I know...

6th and 7th choice, you sure?

The lack of a left back is a massive issue. It limits us in so many ways. Then we could go to a back 4, push Devine or even try Milan (strange signing) as a defensive midfielder to protect the back 2 and allow Barton and Edwards to push on knowing there is cover. Turnbull has to try to cover whoever is on the left as they are not a defender.

Can McGinn not go to the left and put Milan in at right back. At least then we have a defender over there.

Ach, what do I know...

When we did That, everyone was wanting McGinn back over to the right and anyone on the left.

Motherwell will out-muscle the midfield and punish us if we don't start on the front foot. I believe we have the poorest scoring record for early goals by some distance and the early tactics seem to involve a bit of "let's see what happens".

Tonight's results were not bad for us, but only become really useful if we actually earn some points by our own efforts.

Yesterday was 46 years since the 8-3, it will not be repeated tomorrow evening!!!!!!!

Edited by JeanieD

Motherwell will out-muscle the midfield

They are very clever at getting away with fouls all over the pitch.

I'll be on the look out for their favourite foul that's never punished, where our player jumps up for a header and they don't jump but nudge the player while he's in the air.

Extremely dangerous but somehow never punished.

We've got the players, just not necessarily in the right position. We've also got to give our opposition credit for adapting their game to play us - I'm a big Archie fan & think we should stick with him, but too often we show too much respect & sit off very average players in other teams.

SO...

Needs a shake up - nobody here would be able to whine too much about Archie (players a different matter) if he changes things for tonight against a very ordinary Motherwell team who will be without key players.

Here's my XI with my half baked 'plan' (waiting on coffee machine to heat up...)

Cerny

Keown Barton Devine

Fraser

McGinn Lawless

Spittal

Storey Erskine

Doolan

This is basically a 'get into them' selection, no point in trying to defend deep when we are a little threadbare in that department. Fraser & Spittal both got a pass in them, as does Barton (if the other 2 can help him so he doesn't need to tackle), pace & skill on the wings (well, pace for Storey - him & Dools can change a bit, maybe even an OVERLAP?!?) and we'll score a few goals, 3 points, thanks very much.

• Like 2

Because up until now, or at least up until the next couple of games. There's been no one else to play there.

Osman out

Bannigan out

McCarthy out

Fraser not yet fit

Woods not yet fit

He's playing his 6th and 7th choice centre midfielders. Because there's no one else.

Stay with me here...

Say you ran a kitchen. Brought in a kitchen porter who had shown promise as a chef. You stuck him on the dishes to get him used to the kitchen. But he dropped plates. He was slow. Dishes didn't get washed. But once you got him cooking food. He was a joy to watch and he won awards as a chef.

Now you know the guy can't wash dishes. But what a chef.

A few weeks later your KP goes off sick. His cover goes off sick too. The only guy you've got is this star chef. Now youve got three other chefs. None with the same flare but theyre solid. So you stick him on the sink. You know he's going to break dishes and sure enough he does. But he's the only guy you can put in there.

Come the end of the shift. You can't turn round and slate the guy for smashing plates!!!

Barton is that star chef you had to put back on the sink for a few shifts.

As a former kitchen porter in the old Black Bull Hotel in Mingavie (remember that?), I never regarded myself as a KP. I thought that name was reserved for nuts and Kevin Pietersen, not to mention the King's Pawn in chess.

Edited by partickthedog
  • Like 1

Massive decisions for Archie to make tonight.Hope he can get it right tonight for the sake of the team , the fans and himself. First thing he must do is pick a team that can compete with the physicality of Motherwell. Lets get right behind the team for the whole match.

1-0 to Thistle and Barton will probably score given the abuse he's taken on here :clapping:

Everyone should sing the Archie song on repeat till the final whistle to show our solidarity for our under performing team. Maybe a short change to the Doolan song inbetween when he scores the winner. This is the kind of game tonight where we need to win. They have key players out too so we cant use our usual injury woes as an excuse.

If we get beat then we might have to make up a song for Jack Ross on Saturday........

I want to see the players fired up for this one. Get in the opposition’s face and press them back at every opportunity. Motherwell will be missing key players so we have to focus on winning this game. I’m sure the players could do with a win bonus too on the run up to Christmas.

C’mon Thistle, get intae them :fan:

I really hope Archie is prepared to be brave tonight and change the formula that has clearly not been working with Barton and Edwards in the deeper central midfield roles.

Whilst we played our best football last season with Barton as sweeper in a 3-5-2, our current lack of wing backs mean that a flat back 4 is more realistic, and I would give it a go with :

Cerny

Nitriansky (looks fine defensively and should suit a back 4)

Keown (would drop him if we had a left back and move Turnbull centrally)

Devine

Turnbull (despite looking badly out of position at times versus Killie)

Spittal (wide right looks his natural position)

McGinn (can't be worse than Barton or Edwards there - who else ? Paton's switch to central midfield worked)

Woods (either him or Fraser - gone with experience - can sit to the left of McGinn)

Erskine (played much of his career wide left midfield)

Edwards (much better using his energy to support a striker)

Nisbet (give the boy a chance !)

Doolan can then be effective off the bench.

No place for Lawless, who I think is too lightweight / too much of a luxury at the moment.

I'm sure this won't happen, but I hope for Archie's sake he doesn't' persist with the central midfield duo.

Woods, Sammon and Storey in, Dools, Erskine and Lawless out. Looks like a team designed to be solid with two up top.

If we were capable of playing well for 90 minutes I'd be shocked by this.

Dools, Erskine and Lawless are all impact players and would be great to be able to bring them on in the second half with the score still 0-0.

Time will tell but I think this may be the idea.

It seems we're hoping to make a 20 minute game of it and grab it at the end.

Makes sense as we don't seem capable of playing well for longer than that at this time.