Caldwell joining Hibs????

Grubber8468

No knowledge on this whatsoever but given his experience with Martinez, I'm assuming Maloney is one of those coaches that's tactically astute and brimming with new ideas.  It's also probably fair to assume his man management and other important managerial skills will be at best, untested. So he clearly wants an assistant adept in man management etc. Ouch!

• Haha 1

"If it is Maloney, he's a quiet kind of guy," added Hughes on BBC Sportsound. "But you need that personality and if it's not you doing that, you need a number two that can laugh at himself, get a bit of fun, and knows the game and is a good coach.

I have lifted the above from the BBC website where John Hughes discusses the possibility of Gary Caldwell being the Hibs Number 2. Answers on a Powerpoint as to whether you think Gary Cheerful Caldwell may fulfil any or all of the stated criteria:

1) Can laugh at himself

2) Can get a bit of fun

3) Knows the game (presumably football)

4) Is a good coach

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, partickthedog said:

"If it is Maloney, he's a quiet kind of guy," added Hughes on BBC Sportsound. "But you need that personality and if it's not you doing that, you need a number two that can laugh at himself, get a bit of fun, and knows the game and is a good coach.

I have lifted the above from the BBC website where John Hughes discusses the possibility of Gary Caldwell being the Hibs Number 2. Answers on a Powerpoint as to whether you think Gary Cheerful Caldwell may fulfil any or all of the stated criteria:

1) Can laugh at himself

2) Can get a bit of fun

3) Knows the game (presumably football)

4) Is a good coach

1 - No (but everyone else does)

2 - No (signings are funny - Hawkins on a two year deal)

3 - No (team selection and tactics would suggest he doesnt)

4 - Definitely a No (have consulted Chesterfield & Wigan FCs)

Great signing for Hibs though if they go for Mahoney and Caldwell!

Maybe a sobering thought but for all managers (including our own ) trying to manage expectations during these challenging times is difficult. Its a passionate game but there are other more important issues. Let's enjoy our team and see where we are in a few months time. Like last year maybe just may be a good surprise is in store. 

5 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

What ? There is a chance we might get rid of McCall ?

Keep teeing them up !!!

That may happen. If it does it would mean we never made the play offs. I'd prefer to think we have a great second half of the season which would mean he is likely to be in situe....would make me smile anyhow. Surely your not hoping for the team to implode so that mccall does go.....? 

18 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

That may happen. If it does it would mean we never made the play offs. I'd prefer to think we have a great second half of the season which would mean he is likely to be in situe....would make me smile anyhow. Surely your not hoping for the team to implode so that mccall does go.....? 

Of course not. I want Thistle to be winning everything and to have 11 Thistle players selected to start for Scotland when we win the World Cup.

I would rather that there was no implosion and that it is better to remove him before it inevitably happens under his tenure.

1 hour ago, dl1971 said:

This is what I am hoping for - a great second half to the season!

I don't think we are too far away from having a decent squad.  A couple of astute signings in January adding some 'bite and physical presence' to the midfield would be positive. Also giving  Turner a run of games in a  central midfield role and if this proves to be successful it could  at the least get us into the play-offs! 

8 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

This is what I am hoping for - a great second half to the season!

I don't think we are too far away from having a decent squad.  A couple of astute signings in January adding some 'bite and physical presence' to the midfield would be positive. Also giving  Turner a run of games in a  central midfield role and if this proves to be successful it could  at the least get us into the play-offs! 

Unfortunatley,  11 Thistle players selected to start for Scotland when we win the World Cup is more likely than McCall dropping either Banzo or Doc from the midfield.

I don't know why, these 2 should on paper be one of the strongest midfield pairings, but playing them together just doesn't work (a bit like Lampard and Gerrard). I just don't see McCall ever accepting this and breaking up the pairing. Drop one of them and replace with Turner, bring in a proper holding midfielder (á la Paton or Osman) and a right winger to balance Tiffoney, so a 4-5-1, would probably be my way forward, but that will never happen under McCall. I'm concerned that we might not end up 5th if one of the bottom sides were to get a run. Some big games coming up. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Unfortunatley,  11 Thistle players selected to start for Scotland when we win the World Cup is more likely than McCall dropping either Banzo or Doc from the midfield.

I don't know why, these 2 should on paper be one of the strongest midfield pairings, but playing them together just doesn't work (a bit like Lampard and Gerrard). I just don't see McCall ever accepting this and breaking up the pairing. Drop one of them and replace with Turner, bring in a proper holding midfielder (á la Paton or Osman) and a right winger to balance Tiffoney, so a 4-5-1, would probably be my way forward, but that will never happen under McCall. I'm concerned that we might not end up 5th if one of the bottom sides were to get a run. Some big games coming up. 

All of this. He just can't see past Docherty and Bannigan to the detriment of the team. He is utterly wasting Turner's talents to accommodate those two. We are coming up to 2 huge games and lose them, we will be caught in between top four and bottom five puddling about achieving less than McCall publicly expects. I have no trust in McCall's abilities to improve this squad. He does sign decent looking players, but doesn't know how to use them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

All of this. He just can't see past Docherty and Bannigan to the detriment of the team. He is utterly wasting Turner's talents to accommodate those two. We are coming up to 2 huge games and lose them, we will be caught in between top four and bottom five puddling about achieving less than McCall publicly expects. I have no trust in McCall's abilities to improve this squad. He does sign decent looking players, but doesn't know how to use them.

I'd also say that Banzo and Doc are good enough players that should work. I would also put it down to McCall's system/instructions that means that it doesn't.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, exiledjag said:

1 - No (but everyone else does)

2 - No (signings are funny - Hawkins on a two year deal)

3 - No (team selection and tactics would suggest he doesnt)

4 - Definitely a No (have consulted Chesterfield & Wigan FCs)

Great signing for Hibs though if they go for Mahoney and Caldwell!

Harkins on a 2 year deal was the moment I knew Caldwell had lost the plot. What was he thinking?!