Sign in to follow this  
Thistle88

Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

On 6/16/2022 at 7:53 PM, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Seemingly he was a disruptive influence in our relegation season under Archie. Apparently the reason he didn't get a new deal.

I’m usually sceptical about rumours. But seemingly this could be the case. 

21 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

:thinking:

Could the clue be in his surname?

Remember the BBC website used to call him Lawleff 

1 hour ago, sandy said:

I’m usually sceptical about rumours. But seemingly this could be the case. 

Absolute nonsense, that’s why he’s back at Firhill with Archie as one of his coaches ! 

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Absolute nonsense, that’s why he’s back at Firhill with Archie as one of his coaches ! 

You may be right. Presumably it was McCall rather than Archie that made the move for him? 

12 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

What a lot of nonsense people talk in this forum , a football team is no different from any other business/ team and is made up of different characters .

Stevie’s flaws have been well documented ( gambling ) but that shouldn’t lead to a character assassination against him.

If Stevie Lawless gets the right players round about him and he replicates his Livi form with goals and assists, he’ll be a huge asset for us .

I agree with what you're saying.

Actually I also feel very uncomfortable discussing any addiction (or excesses that can lead to or appear as addiction) on a fans forum. The old adage "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" most certainly applies.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, sandy said:

Remember the BBC website used to call him Lawleff 

And, at least in US media, his pals Doohlan and Erskene….:blink:

Just now, ChiThistle said:

And, at least in US media, his pals Doohlan and Erskene….:blink:

Yes here too, nightmare eh?!

4 minutes ago, madcapmilkdrinker said:

When was Anton Dowds signing announced? Thoughts? 

Month or so ago, his PCA was announced.  Big target, great signing IMO.

To: Those of you who witnessed the match v Alloa last night-How did ‘trialist’ Aiden Fitzpatrick shape up?

I thought he was a really good prospect before he was transferred to Norwich. He maybe should have stayed at Thistle longer, to continue the ‘learning curve’. But, he seems to have descended the ‘slippery pole’ at speed and perhaps his confidence took a battering. It’s happened to young players before, jumping too soon for the bigger money and better league. But, there’s much bigger expectations at such clubs and a high degree of ‘wastage’. 

27 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

To: Those of you who witnessed the match v Alloa last night-How did ‘trialist’ Aiden Fitzpatrick shape up?

Nothing really to add to my comments in the "Alloa Away Tonight" thread.

I see I have received quite a few pelters for my views about the signing of Stevie Lawless.

I have not responded to these not because I am avoiding the criticism but because I have not been able to access the website.

So my response and last word about Lawless is set out below.

Firstly I accept I should not have used the phrase "as a person" and therefore acknowledge this was clumsy and inappropriate. I meant to focus on his character.

Secondly I have acknowledged SL as a very good football player and often wondered why the form he showed in the SPFL at Livingston wasn't produced when at Firhill and in particular  during our top 6 season. It would have been impossible to keep any player playing the way SL did at Livingston out of any team.

As far as his character is concerned we don't need to know people personally to assess and therefore have opinions about character. We form opinions based on observation and their actions. With regard to SL there was the gambling issue, the situation at Motherwell and  other more general, perhaps even trivial, behaviours which suggested he wasn't, latterly committed to PTFC. I am not saying he was solely responsible for the above as I have always believed there are two sides to every story.

Putting all this together I have reservations about resigning him and clearly I am not the only one to think this.  However I will say that if he focuses on his football and plays to his potential then this could be a good signing and I will be happy to admit this.

However in the meantime I will reserve the right to be sceptical and will observe,  assess and wait to see how things develop.  

I don't intend to say anymore about SL  other than that I respect the views and  acknowledge the rights of his supporters to disagree with my opinions. I hope resigning him works out well for all parties because as a life long fan I don't want any player or the team/club to fail.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, exiledjag said:

I see I have received quite a few pelters for my views about the signing of Stevie Lawless.

I have not responded to these not because I am avoiding the criticism but because I have not been able to access the website.

So my response and last word about Lawless is set out below.

Firstly I accept I should not have used the phrase "as a person" and therefore acknowledge this was clumsy and inappropriate. I meant to focus on his character.

Secondly I have acknowledged SL as a very good football player and often wondered why the form he showed in the SPFL at Livingston wasn't produced when at Firhill and in particular  during our top 6 season. It would have been impossible to keep any player playing the way SL did at Livingston out of any team.

As far as his character is concerned we don't need to know people personally to assess and therefore have opinions about character. We form opinions based on observation and their actions. With regard to SL there was the gambling issue, the situation at Motherwell and  other more general, perhaps even trivial, behaviours which suggested he wasn't, latterly committed to PTFC. I am not saying he was solely responsible for the above as I have always believed there are two sides to every story.

Putting all this together I have reservations about resigning him and clearly I am not the only one to think this.  However I will say that if he focuses on his football and plays to his potential then this could be a good signing and I will be happy to admit this.

However in the meantime I will reserve the right to be sceptical and will observe,  assess and wait to see how things develop.  

I don't intend to say anymore about SL  other than that I respect the views and  acknowledge the rights of his supporters to disagree with my opinions. I hope resigning him works out well for all parties because as a life long fan I don't want any player or the team/club to fail.

You’re entitled to your view and finally, no one knows for certain how ANY new signing will turn out. On the question of gambling, this can certainly get way out of hand for some-don’t know about SL. I knew someone who this happened to and they eventually received a  custodial sentence, for misappropriation of funds, to fund their habit. (They were decent in every other way). Hence there is a ‘Gamblers’ Anonymous’ just as there is an ‘Alcoholics Anonymous’-they’re both highly ‘addictive’ and reason, sense, morality and personal responsibility can disappear with both-for some. Let’s hope Steve, for his own sake, can make a positive difference for the Jags and…’himself’ …with this fresh start!

from David Vize on Twitter …

Partick Thistle are now the favourites to sign former Rangers and Ayr full back, James Maxwell.

3 minutes ago, SteppsJag said:

Sena off to Hartlepool Utd. Good luck to the lad.

Paul Hartley was on the radio at the weekend saying he needed a lot of players and would inevitably be looking at Scottish league players because that's what he knows.

Hope it works out for him.

I just heard possibly Euan Murray from Killie. If him & Maxwell are true then that’s a lot of defenders 

20 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I just heard possibly Euan Murray from Killie. If him & Maxwell are true then that’s a lot of defenders 

Maxwell also plays in midfield 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, SteppsJag said:

Sena off to Hartlepool Utd. Good luck to the lad.

A lovely young guy, very humble and been through so much in his young life already.

if anyone deserves to be successful in football then it’s Sena.  Hope he does great at Hartlepool 

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, jaggy said:

That’s being reported on Twitter as well