Raith Rovers at Firhill

Albert's Ghost

5 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Absolutely. He needs to make better use of the ball going forward - and work harder at closing down defenders - something that Tiffoney has added to his game. Looks as if he needs to shed a few pounds too. Unless he improves he’s always going to on the bench watching Tiffoney. 

Watched Fitzy when he came on yesterday, blowing out his arse after 10 mins 

Agree with you , needs to get fitter and work harder for the team .

He’s an undoubted talent , hopefully he doesn’t waste it .

Overall, I really enjoyed yesterday’s game. We were far from perfect, but I still think we deserved to win. On another day, Banzo’s suicidal back pas could have and indeed probably should have cost us the three points. As it totally changed the momentum of the the game and Rovers deserve a lot of credit for their response.

Still your unlikely ever to get the perfect performance and if that’s what  your after I humbly suggest that Firhill is probably not the ground and Thistle certainly not the team I would follow to see that.

With the obvious exception of away at Queens Park, I’m relatively sanguine about the start that we’ve made. We really have to try and stop gifting our opponents easy goals and I expect the double header against Arbroath to be a decent test of that facet of our game. Last season, Arbroath frankly bullied us home and away and  surely the Manager knows what we’ll face in both games and adapt his tactics accordingly.

11 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

Docherty is crucial to our shape these days.

Much more so than Bannigan, however much it may go against the grain to admit it.

Not sure I quite agree but maybe we're coming from the same place. Really think it's very difficult to leave out Turner, but to include him one of the McKinnon, Bannigan & Docherty trio has to drop out. Think most will agree that Col looks the least expendable. At the same time I don't believe we'd get the best out of him if he had to drop back to a more defensive holding role. A position he'd be drawn into if one from Doc or Banzo are benched. 

Imo Bannigan was the best player on the field during the 2nd half v ICT. What I don't know is whether the absence of Docherty was coincidental or not. It was tho' a game where we were happy to stand off ICT and get behind the ball, so ball winning tackling wasn't exactly a priority. And ball winning in midfield is really something we're not the greatest at. If Docherty was more like say David Rowson then we'd simply be picking/rotating any two from Turner, Bannigan & McKinnon to play alongside him. 

The fact that Docherty doesn't quite have it to be an effective lone defensive mid means we need the likes of Bannigan to pick up so many loose balls. Banzo being left sided also helps the overall shape of the team. Rather a long winded post just to emphasise a selection problem. Play Turner and we get more creativity in attack but that creates difficulties in the more defensive areas in midfield.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

There’s a heap of talent this year. And we have strength in reserve.

It’s up to McCall now. He has to use, especially the forward players properly and also game manage as he did yesterday with the introduction of Muirhead. Favouritism should not have a place. 

I love Banzo but he’s not worth a place nowadays. And I couldn’t believe Smith came on instead of Weston. Maybe he’s a good pro but he’s had so many chances without contributing anything. 

We took 3 deserved points because we defended well and were the better team, without our stars playing brilliantly. 

Holt motm for me but a hard fought win which augurs well.

11 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

I love Banzo but he’s not worth a place nowadays.

Difficult decisions coming up for McCall.  I was pleased when Banzo was dropped for QP - but we lost.  I was disappointed when he was re-instated for ICT - but we won, and Banzo was brilliant.  Despite picking up a silly booking early on.  But he had a stinker yesterday, not just the gifted goal, and was hooked.  I love Banzo too but he needs benched.

Edited by Albert's Ghost
to add the booking bit

1 hour ago, Weebaw1 said:

There’s a heap of talent this year. And we have strength in reserve.

It’s up to McCall now. He has to use, especially the forward players properly and also game manage as he did yesterday with the introduction of Muirhead. Favouritism should not have a place. 

I love Banzo but he’s not worth a place nowadays. And I couldn’t believe Smith came on instead of Weston. Maybe he’s a good pro but he’s had so many chances without contributing anything. 

We took 3 deserved points because we defended well and were the better team, without our stars playing brilliantly. 

Holt motm for me but a hard fought win which augurs well.

I am not sure why anyone came on at that point in the game, unless McKinnon was gubbed. Making subs adds time and we wanted the game finished as soon as possible.

51 minutes ago, belfastjag said:

We really should have put them to the sword as per ICT. It's great to have such a strong bench. So many options. Our first visit to the JL stand and it may be our new home. Grandson loved it. I'm off home now, next match October.

You have to give the JL support credit. They gave Tunji encouragement pretty much the whole game. It was great to hear.

28 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Definitely handball in the second half. Referee motions that his arms are by his side but nowadays defenders are taught to put their hands behind their back. Also Turner's shot was definitely on target so he has used his arm to gain an advantage.

I did see a list of penalty awards per team in Scotland over I think the last 10 seasons on twitter. Wish I had grabbed it at the time but if correct it showed we in the bottom 10 of the 42 clubs in being awarded penalties. Not sure if anyone else has the numbers but if true we should really be trying to find out why

5 minutes ago, laukat said:

I did see a list of penalty awards per team in Scotland over I think the last 10 seasons on twitter. Wish I had grabbed it at the time but if correct it showed we in the bottom 10 of the 42 clubs in being awarded penalties. Not sure if anyone else has the numbers but if true we should really be trying to find out why

Logically the better the team in the division the more penalty awards their likely to receive. Also I suppose the bigger more vociferous supported clubs may also be a factor. Maybe that clueless ref would've been swayed into giving a penalty if there'd been a crowd of Jags fans behind the goal? Taking these factors into consideration, if it's over 10 seasons, it's not surprising we're in the bottom half re penalty awards but coming 42nd is still a shocker.

As someone who hates VAR and is depressed at the thought of it coming to our game, I'm very happy to accept that the offside and penalty decisions were marginal and could have gone either way, neither decision was blatantly wrong, and I'm just grateful that we can (for now) celebrate a goal at the time that it is actually scored.

An obviously it helps that Thistle won. :)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Logically the better the team in the division the more penalty awards their likely to receive. Also I suppose the bigger more vociferous supported clubs may also be a factor. Maybe that clueless ref would've been swayed into giving a penalty if there'd been a crowd of Jags fans behind the goal? Taking these factors into consideration, if it's over 10 seasons, it's not surprising we're in the bottom half re penalty awards but coming 42nd is still a shocker.

No idea of how reliable the numbers are but this is the list I was referring to. It would be useful if someone else could verify the numbers.

However if correct and if you then factor in that the 4 teams below us haven't been in the leagues for all 10 seasons then we are effectively the team awarded the fewest penalties in the last 10 seasons. 

I do wonder if you are on to something about not having a crowd behind one goal. That was the end where we have at least 2 ghost goals ( the infamous Dundee United and Doolan v Morton) and I was convinced Cammy Smith scored another ghost goal last season.

• Like 1

Watched the post-match interview with their manager on RR TV. He got asked about their being only one man back in defence in the final part of the game. His answer was that they were going to get beat, so if that was the case, they were going to get beat fighting right to the end.

I like that philosophy.

So many times with just a couple of minutes left, the losing team continues to plod along with side-to-side passes,  vague punts, or whatever, basically hoping that somehow they might conjure up a late equalizer out of their tactics that have failed them so far.

Tae hell with that: get everybody right up near the other team's goal! RR came within a whisker of snatching a draw by going all out for that late goal.

We often sit too deep when defending a lead, it just invites the opposition into us and puts unnecessary pressure on the defence. 

In fairness to Jack Ross, I didn’t think it was a case of Dundee United trying to attack, it’s just that they were overrun at the back by the quality of Celtics passing game. 

2 hours ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

The only problem with that is may be illustrated by what happened to Jack Ross’s team last Saturday. A thrashing of those proportions and at home, after a 0-7 hammering in Europe can dent confidence in the players in a way which is hard to turn round. 

And earns him his P45 today 

18 minutes ago, sandy said:

We often sit too deep when defending a lead, it just invites the opposition into us and puts unnecessary pressure on the defence. 

In fairness to Jack Ross, I didn’t think it was a case of Dundee United trying to attack, it’s just that they were overrun at the back by the quality of Celtics passing game. 

As good as Celtic were on Sunday, Dundee United's players visibly downed tools after the third goal.

The obvious lack of professional pride was unforgivable.

1 minute ago, Barney Rubble said:

As good as Celtic were on Sunday, Dundee United's players visibly downed tools after the third goal.

The obvious lack of professional pride was unforgivable.

Yep, they got horsed. Fletcher was the only DU player that looked like he cared.

Edited by sandy