THAT Penalty Shootout

Jagged Edge

Jags fan Alex Melrose submitted a Freedom of Information request to find out who made, and when, the decision to take the penalties at the Ross County end.

This is the response he received.

The grammar, typos etc are embarrassing in the Police response, but a precedent has clearly been established. The home team get to choose which end the penalties get taken - it just needs the home team safety officer to say so.

With Neil Doncaster in attendance, can we ever expect anything else?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jagged Edge said:

Jags fan Alex Melrose submitted a Freedom of Information request to find out who made, and when, the decision to take the penalties at the Ross County end.

The grammar, typos etc are embarrassing in the Police response, but a precedent has clearly been established. The home team get to choose which end the penalties get taken - it just needs the home team safety officer to say so.

Take your point, but unfortunately the previous pyrotechnic and ground incursion issues gave plenty of useful evidential cover for the decision taken.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jagged Edge said:

Is that what you take from that ? It was the pyros at the Ayr games.

I'd like to see the referee's justification for denying Thistle an absolute stonewall penalty, obvious to everybody on video, and his supervisor's response. And also why in his eagerness to award an extremely soft penalty to Ross County he neglected the fact that the Thistle player's posture was clearly influenced because he was being fouled at the time, also clearly visible on video. And again, what is the supervisor's response?

Let them make that information public!

• Like 1

I didn't think we got the rub of the green yon day, but I still felt we lost overall against County by not getting at least a third goal at Firhill. Also throughout the season when we were ahead, we didn't see games out well. Teams can't equalise if they haven't the ball, but we'd abandon our normal game and give up on possession. Instead we'd punt the ball up the park and defend too deeply. We rode our luck and got away with it most times but at Dingwall our good fortune run out.  The way we lost is so hard to take but a 1-3 defeat away to a top tier team was far from abnormal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I'd like to see the referee's justification for denying Thistle an absolute stonewall penalty, obvious to everybody on video, and his supervisor's response. And also why in his eagerness to award an extremely soft penalty to Ross County he neglected the fact that the Thistle player's posture was clearly influenced because he was being fouled at the time, also clearly visible on video. And again, what is the supervisor's response?

Let them make that information public!

Sorry, this rhetoric is beyond tedious.

We missed FOUR (count them) highly scoreable chances to avoid a penalty shoot out.

In short, we ran out of feet to shoot ourselves in.

Accept that it happened, and make peace with it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jagged Edge said:

Sets a dangerous precedent, would this have happened in an Old Firm game  ?

Kept Neil and Roy happy though !

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

Sets a dangerous precedent, would this have happened in an Old Firm game  ?

Kept Neil and Roy happy though !

Nowadays, it won’t be a problem as away supporters aren’t getting many tickets at Ibrox and Parkhead. At Hampden the fans aren’t close to the goals.

On 7/2/2023 at 3:24 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I didn't think we got the rub of the green yon day, but I still felt we lost overall against County by not getting at least a third goal at Firhill.

Sorry. I've heard this argument so many times and I just don't get it. We didn't get a third goal at Firhill but we did get a good 2-0 win and then we did get a third goal at Dingwall. We were 3-0 up with 20 minutes to go. How anyone can say that game was lost at Firhill is totally beyond me.

Regarding the shootout, I'm not up for excuses, but it's a fair question. Yeah the flares and incursions were annoying but it wasn't exactly the most combustible situation that a penalty shootout has ever been conducted in. There's no reason why normal rules shouldn't have been applied.

Everything else was just the usual shite. 

• Like 1