Queens Park at Wyre stadium at Firhill 26th August 2023

Auld Jag

Much better. Stevie Lawless just outstanding. Assured performance by Sneddon, back 4 excellect, midfield still not sure of, but McEnroy was excellent. Fitzy did well at times. Graham just does what he does and scored a vital goal. Robinson looked very good when he came on, Ngwenya looks decent too. Zander not really on long enough to assert himself. 

While we seemed to concede possession too much we weren't really threatened, but small steps forward.

Onwards to Greenock next week. Surprised at the big home loss they took today, so here's hoping we can capitalise.

4 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Yes, i thought it was a bad pass from Neilson, but we turned it to our advantage by putting them under pressure at the throw.

In rugby terms, it was a touch find in the corner, and we took advantage of defensive uncertainty at the resulting line out. If it had been Finn Russell and not Lewis Neilson punting the ball, we would all have been purring.

Delighted with the win, but still not convinced with how deep we sat.

There were too many spells of the game where we could not get out of our half. QP had lots of scoring chances and corners. A better team will punish us.

In attack I thought Fitztrick was anonymous.  Don't think he hit the byline once in the game. All the good work came from Lawless. 

Really enjoyable game. Reminded me a lot of the playoff game except qp didn't have a finisher. Young boys who are rapid when they manage to play triangles and it comes off. What Thomas is doing playing at this level for qp i have no idea. He is so good and you could see the right back in the 1st half was out his depth so we were lucky Thomas wasn't in the game. 2nd half was so different as Thomas got the ball. We were scared to commit or press and they play such a high line where the centre halves take 3 men out the game by taking the ball into our half as we look to press wide and they leave 1 or 2 at the back. We couldnt match it at times. They will take points of loads of teams but will lose a few goals. I feel sorry for Graham shutting down himself at times thankless task.

Mcmillan Lawless must be telepathic twins at birth they are so good. We did well for 20 mins and then backed off we were so far back from Graham. Lucky we got that goal but we gave them a shocker for their 1st.

Bamnigan was excellent for me doing a job in front of the back 4 covering in and keeping it moving. 

Lots of positives. Still crapping ourselves at times at the back. 

13 hours ago, Grubber8468 said:

Special mention for the ref today… so I don’t just moan about them when we lose. The booking for the QP who grabbed the ball just before it went over the line was ridiculous… a ref showing how clever he is and knows all the rules! The bookings for Stan way and mcinroy were similarly ridiculous! Then not booking two QP Players in second half for fouls at least as bad as stanways and mcinroy… strange strange strange!!

Was that not the ref that McCall had a rant at and later had to apologise to ?

11 hours ago, jaggy said:

Much better. Stevie Lawless just outstanding. Assured performance by Sneddon, back 4 excellect, midfield still not sure of, but McEnroy was excellent. Fitzy did well at times. Graham just does what he does and scored a vital goal. Robinson looked very good when he came on, Ngwenya looks decent too. Zander not really on long enough to assert himself. 

While we seemed to concede possession too much we weren't really threatened, but small steps forward.

Onwards to Greenock next week. Surprised at the big home loss they took today, so here's hoping we can capitalise.

It is funny how we can see things differently. I didn’t really see anything particularly good or bad from Robinson, but I thought Ngwenya always allowed them to make a cross, which I don’t think is a good thing in a defender.

3 hours ago, erty13 said:

Delighted with the win, but still not convinced with how deep we sat.

There were too many spells of the game where we could not get out of our half. QP had lots of scoring chances and corners. A better team will punish us.

In attack I thought Fitztrick was anonymous.  Don't think he hit the byline once in the game. All the good work came from Lawless. 

Agree with you about Fitzpatrick-he seemed frightened to take on the defender. Maybe he is carrying an injury as he had to come off after 60 odd minutes?

4 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

Agree with you about Fitzpatrick-he seemed frightened to take on the defender. Maybe he is carrying an injury as he had to come off after 60 odd minutes?

Been said before Fitzy has undoubtedly ability just not fit enough 

Plays in bursts , BG is forever on his case to work harder .

4 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Been said before Fitzy has undoubtedly ability just not fit enough 

Plays in bursts , BG is forever on his case to work harder .

The contrast yesterday with lawless was very noticeable.

I think it’s in head maybe the need to get him working with a sports psychologist 

12 minutes ago, javeajag said:

The contrast yesterday with lawless was very noticeable.

I think it’s in head maybe the need to get him working with a sports psychologist 

I think we had all hopped that the McMillian/ Lawless attacking threat on the right is replicated on the left. Harry is getting back into his stride, but I think it is time to drop Fitztrick and work out who can support Graham more as he is isolated and never going to burst through on to a through ball. All his support comes down the right wing.

Hearts killed off the movement on the right and we had no attacking threat. Other teams may realise this as well and stop Lawless and McMillian. 

2 minutes ago, erty13 said:

I think we had all hopped that the McMillian/ Lawless attacking threat on the right is replicated on the left. Harry is getting back into his stride, but I think it is time to drop Fitztrick and work out who can support Graham more as he is isolated and never going to burst through on to a through ball. All his support comes down the right wing.

Hearts killed off the movement on the right and we had no attacking threat. Other teams may realise this as well and stop Lawless and McMillian. 

Don’t disagree…..maybe time to see what Macdonald can do

28 minutes ago, erty13 said:

Why was Tomi not brought on for the last 15 minutes.  Players need game time so that when we need them they know how to play the system.

Graham was dead on his feet jogging apart from that mad burst that could have caused him a hamstring injury.

Yes he was waving to the bench and they were chatting to each other not even looking at him!

12 hours ago, jaggy said:

Reading on P&B it looks like Arbroath always get a good result against Morton. We will need to play well to get anything next week.

On the extra time now being added on to games now, should it not be announced at the game how much is being added on . I know they do it in the Premier, so why not in all games ?

8 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Reading on P&B it looks like Arbroath always get a good result against Morton. We will need to play well to get anything next week.

On the extra time now being added on to games now, should it not be announced at the game how much is being added on . I know they do it in the Premier, so why not in all games ?

Is that not something to do with there  being no 4th official?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Don’t disagree…..maybe time to see what Macdonald can do

Interesting that Ngwenya got the call over, Macdonald. Although seemed to be a defensive decision rather than expecting him to do much attacking.

Thought the substitutions were a lot more thought out yesterday.

Early days, so no point getting carried away. 

Good to see some well thought out changes in line-up.

We have to remember this is a crazy league and next week feels like a different scenario entirely.

I'd love if we can get the three points again.

12 hours ago, partickthedog said:

In rugby terms, it was a touch find in the corner, and we took advantage of defensive uncertainty at the resulting line out. If it had been Finn Russell and not Lewis Neilson punting the ball, we would all have been purring.

@admin please? 😬🤣

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

Thought the substitutions were a lot more thought out yesterday.

Early days, so no point getting carried away. 

Good to see some well thought out changes in line-up.

We have to remember this is a crazy league and next week feels like a different scenario entirely.

I'd love if we can get the three points again.

Thought Stanway was in as it was an inexperienced team we were facing. Against Falkirk, I thought he looked a bit lost, but maybe it’s a whole team working better thing as opposed to who is in the opposition.