Davie McParland

26 minutes ago, watties wallies said:

there is one and only one answer to this 

forget about any monies coming to thistle regarding renaming any part of firhill 

from next season Firhill Park should be renamed McParland Park 

As a player and manager Davie McParland stands beyond any other

There I've said it let it happen next season

Rather than a statue what if the Fans raise cash each Year and offset the Spondorship of the Stadium so we can name it after Davie McParland 

6 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

You might not mean it, but that comes across as a gratuitously nasty comment.

Why is it nasty ? 

We are first and foremost a Football Club - you inspire young people by hard work and dedication

Stands in Football Clubs are named after people who committed that to there Club 

We live in a shallow society - we should aspire to maintaining tradition and standards as a Club

The stand should never have been named after Colin Weir - its ridiculous 

Edited by Jordanhill Jag
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Why is it nasty ? 

We are first and foremost a Football Club - you inspire young people by hard work and dedication

Stands in Football Clubs are named after people who committed that to there Club 

We live in a shallow society - we should aspire to maintaining tradition and standards as a Club

The stand should never have been named after Colin Weir - its ridiculous

For once I agree with you that the stand shouldn't have been named after Colin Weir (though I will stop just before calling it ridiculous). At the time of naming the stand wasn't Colin Weir's involvement with the club still at a distance? He was funding the acadamy and community football so naming that after him was entirely fitting and appropriate. Who was it who took this decision? The chair at the time I guess.

3 hours ago, scotty said:

For once I agree with you that the stand shouldn't have been named after Colin Weir (though I will stop just before calling it ridiculous). At the time of naming the stand wasn't Colin Weir's involvement with the club still at a distance? He was funding the acadamy and community football so naming that after him was entirely fitting and appropriate. Who was it who took this decision? The chair at the time I guess.

Correct 

3 hours ago, Very Bitter Jag said:

It was David Beattie, if my memory serves me correctly!? 

Correct.

image.thumb.png.f0a1623aecb9e62d9030bca942352010.png

The stand was renamed in May 2016, while David Beattie was the Chair of the Football Club.

It happened six months after Colin Weir gave the Club a circa £1 million cash injection, the knock-on of which was the issue of new shares and the practical consequence of which was Thistle became bank-debt-free.

The share issue meant the Weir Family became a 10% shareholder in the Club and the PTFC Trust was created to hold a further 19% (and existing % shareholdings were accordingly diluted).

A million quid is a pretty expensive way to get your name on a fire hazard. I rather doubt that was Colin's motivation.

image.thumb.png.ea9eaf091d37b285271c9b2df3211a53.png

Edited by Woodstock Jag

3 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Correct.

image.thumb.png.f0a1623aecb9e62d9030bca942352010.png

The stand was renamed in May 2016, while David Beattie was the Chair of the Football Club.

It happened six months after Colin Weir gave the Club a circa £1 million cash injection, the knock-on of which was the issue of new shares and the practical consequence of which was Thistle became bank-debt-free.

The share issue meant the Weir Family became a 10% shareholder in the Club and the PTFC Trust was created to hold a further 19% (and existing % shareholdings were accordingly diluted).

A million quid is a pretty expensive way to get your name on a fire hazard. I rather doubt that was Colin's motivation.

image.thumb.png.ea9eaf091d37b285271c9b2df3211a53.png

And your point is ? 

jim oliver put more cash into the Club ?

bottom line is there was no justification for naming the stand after Colin Weir 

1 minute ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

And your point is ?

That David Beattie was the Chair of the Club Board when the decision was taken to rename the Stand.

I was dealing with the point of factual accuracy, since clearly some posters on the thread were under the impression that a different person was Chair of the Club Board at the time.

Speaking purely personally, I couldn't care less what the Main Stand is called. I neither credit nor hold it against anyone that it's currently called the Colin Weir Stand.

13 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

That David Beattie was the Chair of the Club Board when the decision was taken to rename the Stand.

I was dealing with the point of factual accuracy, since clearly some posters on the thread were under the impression that a different person was Chair of the Club Board at the time.

Speaking purely personally, I couldn't care less what the Main Stand is called. I neither credit nor hold it against anyone that it's currently called the Colin Weir Stand.

And my point is Football Clubs name there Stands after Players or Managers who have served the Club - if it was based on money - Jim Oliver or the Reid Family are at the front of the Q 

The fact its the Colin Weir Stand and not the Davie Mcparland Stand is shameful 

2 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

And my point is Football Clubs name there Stands after Players or Managers who have served the Club - if it was based on money - Jim Oliver or the Reid Family are at the front of the Q 

The fact its the Colin Weir Stand and not the Davie Mcparland Stand is shameful 

Except that isn't your only point though, is it Jim?

13 hours ago, scotty said:

Who was it who took this decision? The chair at the time I guess.

Scotty pointed out that the decision to rename the stand was taken by the Chair at the time (though formally, I would have thought it was actually taken by the full Club Board).

9 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Correct 

You then eagerly confirmed this.

7 hours ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

She really did benefit from that association.

Lambie's Lost Doo, under the impression that Scotty and you were talking about Jacqui Low as "the chair at the time" passed comment that "She" benefited from the association.

You liked this post. Clearly endorsing the premise that Jacqui Low took the decision.

6 hours ago, Very Bitter Jag said:

It was David Beattie, if my memory serves me correctly!? 

Very Bitter Jag then chimed in with an inconvenient fact: that David Beattie was the Chair at the time this decision was taken.

4 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

David Beattie ? 

You then replied quizzically, clearly not having realised that the decision was taken the best part of two years before Jacqui Low became chair.

I have many criticisms to make of Jacqui Low's involvement with Partick Thistle Football Club. The decision to rename the Main Stand, which was done several years before Partick Thistle even had a majority shareholder of any description, is not one of them.

My intentions by starting this thread were to gauge folks opinions on both the level to which Davie should be permanently remembered and ideas how we go about that. Judging by the posts it appears everybody feels Davie should be remembered most highly. And there's been a good few suggestions regarding what can be done.

Perhaps my timing is due to the dust now settling on fan ownership. Tho' I realise fan ownership doesn't mean the Club is run by fans, I expect communication between fans and Board to be greatly improved. Plus far more openness re matters of a non sensitive/non confidential nature. Who said what and who did what on previous Boards be it Low or Beattie era, is in the past. 

I'm going on the premise that Davie McParland should be permanently remembered in a more fitting way than present,  Doing so I'm wondering whether this is an issue that should be open to the wider fan membership re suggestions and implementation? 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 3

I think it would be disrespectful to both McParland and Weir to re-name the Main Stand. 

Disrespectful to McParland as it says "Sorry about the training complex; it was all b*shit. Thanks for everything. Listen, it's admittedly an afterthought, but we'll stick a sign with your name on the old stand, get rid of the name that's already there, and it'll be yours until it falls down (maybe not too long to wait for that). How's that?"

Disrespectful to Weir as it says "Thanks for the Academy, the millions of quid that kept us going, and kick-starting fan ownership." In recognition, we named the Main Stand after you, but actually, according to some supporters, you just picked 6 numbers out of a hat. We've therefore decided that you don't deserve that stand, but we'll let you keep your name in front of Academy. How's that? 

• Like 1