Our support

geecee

Our support recently, second half of last season +play offs + this season has been fantastic. Today was different with the uncovered terracing/stand but Airdrie was fabulous. Best time in years to follow the Jags, I've been doing it for 30 odd years,  BUT we have 3000 (approx) season ticket holders and we had 870 at Cappielow yesterday.  I'm not a season ticket holder, prefer away games personally.  At a wild guess the split was 600 season ticket holders and 270 non holders.  Where do the other 2400 season ticket folk go on a Saturday.  Not complaining just curious.  

In my case, gone are the days where travelling to most away games constituted an attraction.

Rotten, and expensive, public transport coupled with - in my opinion - overly inflated gate prices, and inflexible policies (no cash option - see the other thread) mean it is no longer a priority to attend away games. That one is down to the clubs themselves to address.

Cappielow should be one of the most attractive and hassle free away fixtures to attend given the proximity of the ground to Cartsdyke station, however the frankly unwelcoming and unfriendly attitude of the home club meant that yesterday afternoon was spent in a Thistle friendly boozer in the West End when an unusually pleasant day (weather wise) might have seen me attend the game.

And I fully accept that is sad.

Edited by Barney Rubble
  • Like 1

I do the best part of a 300 mile round trip for our home games...cant be bothered with trips to away grounds unless they are close to Aberdeen...... Arbroath or Peterhead are as far as I can be bothered with. I was a bit hacked off when Cove dropped out of the league....two easy away trips for me.

I listen via Jagzone on a Saturday when we are playing away.

14 hours ago, geecee said:

Our support recently, second half of last season +play offs + this season has been fantastic. Today was different with the uncovered terracing/stand but Airdrie was fabulous. Best time in years to follow the Jags, I've been doing it for 30 odd years,  BUT we have 3000 (approx) season ticket holders and we had 870 at Cappielow yesterday.  I'm not a season ticket holder, prefer away games personally.  At a wild guess the split was 600 season ticket holders and 270 non holders.  Where do the other 2400 season ticket folk go on a Saturday.  Not complaining just curious.  

To emphasise my point about repetitiveness of fixtures we had 1300 at Tynecastle on a Sunday. Probably have been a good few more as we sold out. Plus we had to physically collect tickets. Whilst I realise you can't really compare a League Cup tie with a League fixture, I'm sure the novelty of playing a team we won't see four times a season played a big part.  

Tho' I do go to almost all away games I can honestly say that I go to most venues purely to see Thistle. There should be more to it than that. There should be at least an element of a "good day out" come into the equation. Some places we go to are depressing enough going once, never mind twice. 

40 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Tho' I do go to almost all away games I can honestly say that I go to most venues purely to see Thistle. There should be more to it than that. There should be at least an element of a "good day out" come into the equation. Some places we go to are depressing enough going once, never mind twice. 

Would be interesting to find out what away fans think of Firhill as an awayday.

4 hours ago, scotty said:

Would be interesting to find out what away fans think of Firhill as an awayday.

Away fans can help to generate a great atmosphere.  For location alone, visiting Firhill should be the best experience in all of Scotland.  I believe Germany try harder to encourage away fans as they realise how important they are to a match experience.  I’m aware we invite away fans to the Aitken suit, but it’d be good to see an away day feature in the official site - good pubs pre and post match etc

3 hours ago, Lenziejag said:

If you read pie and bovril forum, most away fans like the trip to Firhill for the West end pubs etc. Not many of them like the Colin Weir stand, though.

I don't read that much on P&B but purely from an anecdotic point of view an away visit to Firhill comes up most favourably. Similarly I reckon it's more geographical than any particular love of the Colin Weir Stand.

Normally my favourite away days are Dumfries & Dingwall. Both Palmerston and whatever County call their ground aren't exactly ideal venues. But they're still great to visit.

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I don't read that much on P&B but purely from an anecdotic point of view an away visit to Firhill comes up most favourably. Similarly I reckon it's more geographical than any particular love of the Colin Weir Stand.

Normally my favourite away days are Dumfries & Dingwall. Both Palmerston and whatever County call their ground aren't exactly ideal venues. But they're still great to visit.

I always enjoyed getting to wherever we were going (Airdrie and Greenock are exceptions) early, even mid-morning, then strolling around, taking in something that might be considered a visitor attraction (e.g., a gallery or museum, castle, mansion, garden), lunch, browsing around any shops..... and then on to the match. Actually got to see many places that I never would have visited if not for the Jags.

• Like 1

Dundee Utd are just taking the mickey out of all visiting fans with their high prices. Notwithstanding their number 1 scum rating, why would anyone go to that hellhole and pay scandalous prices?

Id go everywhere else. I thought the stewards at Morton were pretty friendly and even quite understanding when a few over enthusiastic fans spilled on to the pitch. They were joking with our fans.

I assumed there would be a cash gate but I was politely shown how to buy tickets online easily enough by a friendly girl with a qr code.

i envy English fans who can visit different grounds and cultures and pubs regularly. As LIB says, a day out should be more than just about the football. I hope Caley dont go down as the Castle Inn is a cracker.

1 hour ago, Norgethistle said:

Unbe(effin)lievable. Talkj about a sledgehammer to crack a nut! Love the bit about having to arrive not more than 2 hours before and not less than 1 hour before the start. Just plain daft.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Norgethistle said:

This consultation  mirrors voluntary compliance  with set out guidelines  that have  been in use in England for some time. Interestingly the English guidelines  make it plain that non- compliance  by coach operators will result in legislation being introduced to make mandatory  rules. It may seem logical for the Government  to extend these rules northwards, but apart from less than a handful  of clubs, most football clubs in Scotland  have single digit numbers of supporters buses. My first  reaction was that this smacks of dog whistle  politics at an election time, cheap for the Government, although I doubt that there will be any increase in police resources to operate the scheme. I do wonder if someone thought it a logical extension of what applies in England,  without considering whether or not there is a problem with this in Scottish football. 

I hope that the SPFL provides a robust reply, with the average number of busses per club, to demonstrate how stupid this idea is, and also makes it plain that at a stroke it will kill away support at Scottish matches, and will seriously affect small coach operators. 

17 minutes ago, East Kent Jag II said:

This consultation  mirrors voluntary compliance  with set out guidelines  that have  been in use in England for some time. Interestingly the English guidelines  make it plain that non- compliance  by coach operators will result in legislation being introduced to make mandatory  rules. It may seem logical for the Government  to extend these rules northwards, but apart from less than a handful  of clubs, most football clubs in Scotland  have single digit numbers of supporters buses. My first  reaction was that this smacks of dog whistle  politics at an election time, cheap for the Government, although I doubt that there will be any increase in police resources to operate the scheme. I do wonder if someone thought it a logical extension of what applies in England,  without considering whether or not there is a problem with this in Scottish football. 

I hope that the SPFL provides a robust reply, with the average number of busses per club, to demonstrate how stupid this idea is, and also makes it plain that at a stroke it will kill away support at Scottish matches, and will seriously affect small coach operators. 

I also think this is the Westminster government looking for ways they can involve themselves in Scottish affairs and undermine the Holyrood parliament at the same time.

2 hours ago, QXBoy said:

Unbe(effin)lievable. Talkj about a sledgehammer to crack a nut! Love the bit about having to arrive not more than 2 hours before and not less than 1 hour before the start. Just plain daft.

At least it would stamp out the sort of outrageous behaviour suggested by @Jaggernaut earlier today. Bloody football fans, visiting our cultural institutions. What is the world coming to?

18 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I always enjoyed getting to wherever we were going (Airdrie and Greenock are exceptions) early, even mid-morning, then strolling around, taking in something that might be considered a visitor attraction (e.g., a gallery or museum, castle, mansion, garden), lunch, browsing around any shops..... and then on to the match. Actually got to see many places that I never would have visited if not for the Jags.

Had a great day out in Durham a few years back when we played friendly there. Scorching day and World Brass Band Championships. Smashing.