Airdrie at Home

Lenziejag

A few random comments:

Great to see us scoring with a header from a corner, something we have not done much since Kyle Turner’s early days with us. Brilliant delivery from Fitzy, and well done Rico for getting his head on it and directing it so well.

Excellent interview on JagZone with Ben Stanway. Love his attitude and his humour. 

You can of course pick holes in some of Wasiri Williams’ play, but there is lots of good stuff in there too. It was his dominant header that set Fitzy away for the run and cross that produced the second goal. He is a real “Thistle” character and it may be that we just have to learn to live with his flawed genius!

45 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Let me flip the "we were lucky to come away with 3 points" chat.

If it was Thistle who were a goal down with 35 minutes left to play and the sum effort of our possesion was an effort dragged well wide after a break in the box in the 93rd minute would we say we were unlucky not to get a point?

Particularly when, for most of that last 35 we’d literally run out of centre forwards and had no one to hold the ball up, up top

33 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

If it was Thistle who were a goal down with 35 minutes left to play and the sum effort of our possession was an effort dragged well wide after a break in the box in the 93rd minute would we say we were unlucky not to get a point?

Good point. I thought we deserved the three points. If the two halves were reversed (poor first half/good second half) then I reckon views would be more favourable.

That tho' is not to say that we "managed" the game well. A recurrent theme, so obvious yesterday, is ceding possession when we're ahead in a game. I understand the idea of not competing for first balls, backing off to pick up the loose ball. It's when we get the ball we lose it again cheaply. Even when he's not at his best at least Bannigan (to a lesser extent, Stanway) usually helps keep team possession. Too much perhaps when we're chasing a game but helpful when we're ahead. Not enough players appear to have the same mindset. All that punting the ball contributes to defending too deep.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

If it was Thistle who were a goal down with 35 minutes left to play and the sum effort of our possesion was an effort dragged well wide after a break in the box in the 93rd minute would we say we were unlucky not to get a point?

Mate you should be a therapist!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Agree. As i mentioned in my just in post, Airdrie are a good passing and moving team, but they lost. I have seen us pass the ball about and losing games and posters on this forum saying we should be more direct. I know Airdrie had a chance or two to equalise near the end, but we also had chances to increase our lead particularly in the first half. Two chances stand out for me, when Fitzpatrick put a great ball into the Airdrie box and nobody got a foot on it for a tap in and Diack should have probably done better with another Fitzpatrick ball that Diack got past the keeper but also went the wrong side of the post.

I know again as i said earlier it was a game of two halves but we did get the 3 points and have an 8 point lead over Airdrie who are 5th. Lets enjoy the win as there will be other games that we will lose and that will give posters a chance to comment on our faults.

Also as mentioned by Dools, well done to the ground staff who got the pitch playable and the surrounding area safe so that the game could go ahead.

Edited by Auld Jag

1 hour ago, fenski said:

I had a stupid thought when Harry Milne came on. Could he play defensive midfield? He's physical, reasonably good at tackling and can pass the ball. Just a thought.

He probably could plus he very good with high balls. Far more likely to see Neilson in that role if we were to sign a left sided centreback. Like defensive mids there's not likely to be many if any suitable LCBs available in January. Think Doolan would be biting hands off for either position.

4 hours ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Fair point and maybe an over reaction from me, but it’s not the first time we’ve effectively conceded the midfield this season for an entire half.. Our inability to retain possession was hard to watch.  If Airdrie had equalised at the end you might say they were lucky but we had only one real attack in the second half. 

I appreciate the positives, 6 games unbeaten and 4 wins in a row, some very good performances from several players, 3rd in the league, but I get concerned when we effectively cede possession and don’t yet seem to have a player who can drag us from defending so deep. 

Most of the post Airdrie updates in place, explore via the home page news...

:detective:  QUICK-START DIACK

Brian Graham's personal best run of 38 competitive games not-out comes to an end due to suspension, leaving Stuart Bannigan and Steven Lawless as the 'last-men standing' in terms of having appeared in all 21 competitive games of 2023-24.
● It's a double-whammy in the H2H this afternoon as Thistle meet Airdrie for the 200th time in league action, and for the 250th time in all competitions.
● 18-year-old Ricco Diack marks his first competitive start with his first goal for Thistle. His 7th minute goal is the 5th quickest on record for the category! (see Graphic below).
● With two assists, the astounding Aidan Fitzpatrick takes his direct goal involvement tally to EIGHT in the last four games.
● It's 9 (NINE) consecutive wins over Airdrie at Firhill, a brand new club-record for Partick Thistle FC.

ongoing sequences:
● 5 competitive away games without defeat; 2nd Sep 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 7 games; 1st Apr 2023 to 18th Jul 2023. Club-record: 11 games; 29th Sep 1962 to 14th Mar 1963.)

● 40 consecutive competitive appearances for Steven Lawless, 18th Feb 2023 to date. (Longest run since: Aidan Fitzpatrick - 43 games, 3rd Dec 2022 to 21st Oct 2023. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

2023-12-02-sw1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Thistle Archive said:

Most of the post Airdrie updates in place, explore via the home page news...

:detective:  QUICK-START DIACK

Brian Graham's personal best run of 38 competitive games not-out comes to an end due to suspension, leaving Stuart Bannigan and Steven Lawless as the 'last-men standing' in terms of having appeared in all 21 competitive games of 2023-24.
● It's a double-whammy in the H2H this afternoon as Thistle meet Airdrie for the 200th time in league action, and for the 250th time in all competitions.
● 18-year-old Ricco Diack marks his first competitive start with his first goal for Thistle. His 7th minute goal is the 5th quickest on record for the category! (see Graphic below).
● With two assists, the astounding Aidan Fitzpatrick takes his direct goal involvement tally to EIGHT in the last four games.
● It's 9 (NINE) consecutive wins over Airdrie at Firhill, a brand new club-record for Partick Thistle FC.

ongoing sequences:
● 5 competitive away games without defeat; 2nd Sep 2023 to date. (Longest run since: 7 games; 1st Apr 2023 to 18th Jul 2023. Club-record: 11 games; 29th Sep 1962 to 14th Mar 1963.)

● 40 consecutive competitive appearances for Steven Lawless, 18th Feb 2023 to date. (Longest run since: Aidan Fitzpatrick - 43 games, 3rd Dec 2022 to 21st Oct 2023. Club-record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)

2023-12-02-sw1.jpg

I personally witnessed a majority (6 out of 11) of the above. Can anyone beat that?

Arriving at the game late and missing the goal does not count!

• Like 1

On 12/2/2023 at 6:16 PM, Duke Gekantawa said:

Don’t think his presence had any bearing on the goal- it took a strange looping deflection over the keeper and in off the back post. However he was in exactly the right position to knock it in had it bounced out off the post or deflected wide of the far post, which is what you want from your centre forward 

Just watched the highlights and as you say it takes a deflection of the Airdrie defender over the keeper and in of the post. Diack moves at the back post as if he has knocked it in and then celebrates. That's what made me think he had scored the goal at the game.

21 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I personally witnessed a majority (6 out of 11) of the above. Can anyone beat that?

Arriving at the game late and missing the goal does not count!

Poor John Gray - scored twice that night but that was the game of Denis’s goal!!

As an aside I saw that goal, Calum’s and Fleck’s so only 3

Edited by JeanieD
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Albert's Ghost said:

5 for me too.  1st 3, Ricco, and the legendary Jonny Blom.

I wonder if Jonny Blom was our tallest ever player?

My sixth was the Sam Morrow scrambled effort, which I think was vital to securing our second tier status. Dick Campbell had just been sacked and we were seeing out the season under the temporary care of Jimmy Bone and Terry Butcher.

5 hours ago, partickthedog said:

I wonder if Jonny Blom was our tallest ever player?

My sixth was the Sam Morrow scrambled effort, which I think was vital to securing our second tier status. Dick Campbell had just been sacked and we were seeing out the season under the temporary care of Jimmy Bone and Terry Butcher.

8 for me.  I am old, but not that old.  From Fleck onwards.  I actually thought about debut goalscorers when Diack scored on Saturday.  The first name that came to mind was Mo Johnston as a sub against Dundee Utd. but that maybe wasn't as quick as the others.

• Like 1