January Transfer Window

JAG1970

13 minutes ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

Sneddon and Mitchell are both mediocre goalkeepers, and are certainly not title winning. However, unlike Gallagher and Hinchcliffe before him, Kenny Arthur inspires no confidence in developing young keepers. The very idea of Arthur instructing Cerny was quite frankly embarrassing. I was almost certain that Arthur was moving on, and thought that would have presented an opportunity to bring something fresh to the coaching department. 

Mitchell is a better goalkeeper and we were 20 minutes away from winning promotion.  He wasn’t to blame for Tiffoney and Bannigan missing open goals 

15 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Mitchell is a better goalkeeper and we were 20 minutes away from winning promotion.  He wasn’t to blame for Tiffoney and Bannigan missing open goals 

He's a better goalkeeper, but he's not a title winner (hence we finished 4th last season). Mitchell is a bang average Championship keeper. 

1 hour ago, Yellow & Redneck said:

He's a better goalkeeper, but he's not a title winner (hence we finished 4th last season). Mitchell is a bang average Championship keeper. 

Arguably Mitchell would be reasonably pleased with that assessment. Prior to joining us he'd only ever played a handful of games above League One standard. Personally I think he's an excellent back up keeper at our level. 

Sneddon really has to have an exceptional number of flawless performances to compensate for his poor/slow use of the ball. I just can't see that happening.

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Arguably Mitchell would be reasonably pleased with that assessment. Prior to joining us he'd only ever played a handful of games above League One standard. Personally I think he's an excellent back up keeper at our level. 

Sneddon really has to have an exceptional number of flawless performances to compensate for his poor/slow use of the ball. I just can't see that happening.

I actually thought that Sneddon's release of the ball yesterday was slightly faster than usual (indeed his release of the ball for their first goal was very fast!). But he appears to be obsessed by dropping the ball at his feet, waving his team-mates to get up the park, wait until an opposition player approaches and then he feigns to kick it, then waits some more..... And all this charade is for what: an average punt which just as often goes out of play or straight to the opposition as anything else. And it's so slow..... Urgency for Sneddon seems to involve simply waiting longer with more frantic gestures for the team to move up, taking even more time!

I'd actually cut him some slack for yesterday's howler, as it looked like the ball simply bounced/slipped away from him, though of course safely catching those kinds of balls is part of what he gets paid to do. But I'll also mention another general beef of mine: Is a wall of five or so players just a few yards in front of the keeper, blocking his view of most of what's in front of him and forcing him to basically neglect one side of his goalmouth really the best way to defend a free kick just outside the box? All teams do it, but I wonder if any teams have tried other methods in training, such as a wall with fewer players and defender on each post.

3 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I actually thought that Sneddon's release of the ball yesterday was slightly faster than usual (indeed his release of the ball for their first goal was very fast!). But he appears to be obsessed by dropping the ball at his feet, waving his team-mates to get up the park, wait until an opposition player approaches and then he feigns to kick it, then waits some more..... And all this charade is for what: an average punt which just as often goes out of play or straight to the opposition as anything else. And it's so slow..... Urgency for Sneddon seems to involve simply waiting longer with more frantic gestures for the team to move up, taking even more time!

I'd actually cut him some slack for yesterday's howler, as it looked like the ball simply bounced/slipped away from him, though of course safely catching those kinds of balls is part of what he gets paid to do. But I'll also mention another general beef of mine: Is a wall of five or so players just a few yards in front of the keeper, blocking his view of most of what's in front of him and forcing him to basically neglect one side of his goalmouth really the best way to defend a free kick just outside the box? All teams do it, but I wonder if any teams have tried other methods in training, such as a wall with fewer players and defender on each post.

Defender on any post is a non-starter as by definition it plays the whole attacking team onside.

Sneddon's distribution isn't quick enough in my view. Whether that's down to his decision making or team-mates not making themselves available is up to the coaching staff to address, and quickly please. We're wasting opportunities to put early pressure on retreating defences.

I'm prepared to forgive Jamie's howler today; these things happen to everyone once in a while, and for goalkeepers they tend to have more immediate consequences. Aero (for example) has had a couple of dreadful brain farts in the last two seasons that have never garnered as much attention.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fifexile said:

Thought Neilson's loan was for the season

I would imagine the parent club can cut a loan short. Like I said it was only a rumour I heard but it came from someone who’s usually fairly accurate with what he tells me

Former Hearts keeper Ross Stewart is set to sign for Partick Thistle.

The ex-Tynecastle backup has been without a club since the summer after his deal in Gorgie ended.

With Craig Gordon and Zander Clark ahead of him, Stewart left the capital club but has found securing his next move a challenge.

But now he's set to don the gloves in Maryhill and assist Partick's promotion push.

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

Former Hearts keeper Ross Stewart is set to sign for Partick Thistle.

The ex-Tynecastle backup has been without a club since the summer after his deal in Gorgie ended.

With Craig Gordon and Zander Clark ahead of him, Stewart left the capital club but has found securing his next move a challenge.

But now he's set to don the gloves in Maryhill and assist Partick's promotion push.

Mitchell is injured but we have two other keepers, clearly Doolan doesn’t have confidence in Sneddon / McCready as first choice + sub or vice versa (assuming both fit). Unfortunate since limited funds will be partly used to pay the wages of 4 goalkeepers when we have other areas on the park to strengthen 

Edited by JAG1970

7 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Mitchell is injured but we have two other keepers, clearly Doolan doesn’t have confidence in Sneddon / McCready as first choice + sub or vice versa (assuming both fit). Unfortunate since limited funds will be partly used to pay the wages of 4 goalkeepers when we have other areas on the park to strengthen 

Or is he? Same agent as Dowds...

22 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Doolan confirmed Mitchell has an injury but you could be right, maybe Mitchell wants away regardless 

Anyone know how many other players we have under the same representatives? I'm sure Harry Milne is 😬

34 minutes ago, JAG1970 said:

Doolan confirmed Mitchell has an injury but you could be right, maybe Mitchell wants away regardless 

I’m sure he will as he’s obviously not displacing Sneddon and probably feels he’s the better keeper. 

Ross Stewart’s stats are hardly inspiring. 28 years old and his only regular first team football was for Albion Rovers 2015-2017 

14 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I’m sure he will as he’s obviously not displacing Sneddon and probably feels he’s the better keeper. 

Ross Stewart’s stats are hardly inspiring. 28 years old and his only regular first team football was for Albion Rovers 2015-2017 

Definitely someone happier to sit on the bench 😬

Mitchell is a decent keeper but may be hungry to get back between the sticks.

3 minutes ago, javeajag said:

A 29 year old who has played c 100 first team games ….

he could be 100years old and played 29 games but if he does a job for us and tightens up a key area be it playing or helping develop Sneddon/McCready then am ok with that.  He is certainly been around some decent keepers of late.

Welcome Ross, all the best at Firhill.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, elevenone said:

he could be 100years old and played 29 games but if he does a job for us and tightens up a key area be it playing or helping develop Sneddon/McCready then am ok with that.  He is certainly been around some decent keepers of late.

Welcome Ross, all the best at Firhill.

If ……