January Transfer Window

JAG1970

1 hour ago, javeajag said:

Trying to work out how we can compete with raith and sign a player from them given they have soo much more cash than us ……maybe that’s one excuse we can put in the bin.

Or maybe it’s because Raith we’re only offering him a 6 month contract and we offered 18 months. 

Edited by Third Lanark
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

They have just released £500k of new shares

Yes…..I posted the filing but we don’t know what for exactly……could be to cover losses or the give them a financial buffer as we said when we got our £500k.

the fact is we outbid them for a player they had.

As everyone on this thread knows I have never really rated Muirhead. I have also stated that I don't think he is up to the task of being our main central defender. However with a good central defender at his side, eg Holt he becomes a different player, a much better player. If O'Reilly is in the Holt mould I am sure Muirhead has it in him to be a good partner.

However one of Neilson or Muirhead needs to be rested for a few weeks. 

One point about O'Reilly. According to Wikipedia he is 5'11" tall. Not exactly the tallest CH but he must have something given the interest in him.

Welcome to Firhill Dan and all the best of luck with the Jags.

Looks like a decent signing.

We were crying out for a left sided central defender which is probably why we took a gamble on McGinley. As McGinley was never fit enough to feature O'Reilly has a low bar to be seen as an upgrade. O'Reilly has shown he can cope at this level so he should improve the starting 11.

A back 4 of McMillan-Neilson-O'Reilly-Milne looks very decent and much more balanced. With Muirhead and Williams able to cover at centreback and fullback we look better defensively.

We need a winger and whilst Dom Thomas would be ideal anyone that is an upgrade on McDonald improves the squad. If we could get someone like Thomas we could start to play Fitzpatrick alongside Graham to use his pace and use a formation similar to what we had in the playoffs.

McBeth looks a decent prospect but if we could get a more experienced CDM in then we may have a team capable of pushing Dundee United and Raith.

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Maybe one or two at the most 

If the rumours about our interest in Thomas are true and we are successful in  signing him then I suspect the prospect of further signings will be at most one or probably none.

10 hours ago, javeajag said:

Trying to work out how we can compete with raith and sign a player from them given they have soo much more cash than us ……maybe that’s one excuse we can put in the bin.

One reason given by a Raith supporter was that they were only offering a deal to the end of the season.

9 hours ago, javeajag said:

Yes…..I posted the filing but we don’t know what for exactly……could be to cover losses or the give them a financial buffer as we said when we got our £500k.

the fact is we outbid them for a player they had.

Where’s your proof. All we know is that the player signed with us.

58 minutes ago, Lenziejag said:

One reason given by a Raith supporter was that they were only offering a deal to the end of the season.

They did , they also said they were confident he would stay and were not planning to lose any players in the window and add only two. Maybe the speculation they have lots of money is we’ll just speculation.

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Dundee unite have just posted their accounts till June 2023.

They lost £2.8m which includes £2.3M in add ons from transfers so they burned through £5m.

Total wage costs were £6.9m on turnover of £8.1m

crazy stuff.

Pressure is on Dundee United , they haven’t really got any options they’ve got to get promoted this year or I believe they’re in big trouble.

2 hours ago, elevenone said:

Re Don Thomas, maybe Dundee Utd not in a position to afford him at the moment?  That’s a fair loss and one that suggests gloomy times ahead should they not bounce back up this season.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-united/4861310/dundee-united-loss-annual-accounts-2023-ogren/

They have just made 2 decent signings including wotherspoon over the last couple of days.  I’m sure they said they didn’t need any more attacking options.

Even if they reigned in their spending and I am sceptical they will then i am sure they could still easily outbid us for Thomas

3 hours ago, javeajag said:

Because we offered him an 18 month deal vs a six month deal from raith ….an 18 month deal is more expensive so we outbid them.

I knew that is what you would say. But you have no proof that our 18 month contract is worth more than Raith’s 6 month contract. It’s logical, but no proof.

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

Because we offered him an 18 month deal vs a six month deal from raith ….an 18 month deal is more expensive so we outbid them.

Maybe they could afford to have offered 18 months but only offered 6 months because they're signing Harry Maguire in the summer

Edited by allyo

8 hours ago, javeajag said:

They did , they also said they were confident he would stay and were not planning to lose any players in the window and add only two. Maybe the speculation they have lots of money is we’ll just speculation.

Not necessarily on a monthly basis it’s not.

Guaranteed a job for 17 months vs a job for 5 months

That’s apparently what swung it