January Transfer Window

JAG1970

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2024 at 10:41 AM, Tom Hosie said:

I've seen Loney a few times, and hopefully again tonight when the 18s play Ayr. He's definitely got a chance. There's a real physicality about him, not unlike Diack actually. 

I see now that Brighton are reported also interested in Loney. Brighton are arguably the top club in Britain regarding recruitment. 

29 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

I see now that Brighton are reported also interested in Loney. Brighton are arguably the top club in Britain regarding recruitment. 

I can see why clubs in England are interested. He's just turned 16 and he has a real physival presence. Ticks a lot of boxes and with him, in relative terms, likely to be inexpensive he's absolutely worth a punt. Especially since recruiting from Europe has become much harder since Brexit. Hence why this dual ownership nonsense is creeping in. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Well done Blair too -a very underrated player when he was with us and one of the few who shone in that relegation season from the premier league and in the Caldwell season 

My recollection of him with us was that he was the kind of player that played well when the team played well but was noticeably absent when we needed some fight. Scored some great goals.

I've never got the hype about Spittal. As mentioned above, scores some great goals but used to go missing in so many games. Not the guy you want in your team when battling is required and not much has changed given Motherwell's showing down at Cappielow. 

To be fair to him, he might do well in a more attacking team like Hearts. 

Good move for Penrice as well, surprised how well he's done in his career. 

54 minutes ago, King Kenny said:

I've never got the hype about Spittal. As mentioned above, scores some great goals but used to go missing in so many games. Not the guy you want in your team when battling is required and not much has changed given Motherwell's showing down at Cappielow. 

Whilst I agree that he wasn't the most combative player for us, I think he's more aggressive these days. Certainly he's having a good season with Motherwell, who would be really struggling without him. 7 league goals and 8 league assists this season kinda backs that up. 

8 hours ago, King Kenny said:

To be fair to him, he might do well in a more attacking team like Hearts. 

Good move for Penrice as well, surprised how well he's done in his career. 

And yet he got player of the year while so many of our big players were a bit of a let down.  The tag that he disappeared when the going got tough is unfair- he contributed more than our most experienced players and was I understand second youngest player in the squad after Penrice 

As a kid I was crestfallen but proud when my jags' heroes such as sandy brown, Dougie baird, Tommy gibb and Andy kerr all moved to the English first division. I thought that they were great players and it was nice to know someone else thought the same. 

1 hour ago, robphil said:

As a kid I was crestfallen but proud when my jags' heroes such as sandy brown, Dougie baird, Tommy gibb and Andy kerr all moved to the English first division. I thought that they were great players and it was nice to know someone else thought the same. 

I vaguely remember being disappointed when Joe McBride left, though I was really too young to take it in. But Tommy Gibb, yes, for me that was the real first heart-sinking loss. He was some player, and I always wondered why he never got to play for Scotland.

3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

I vaguely remember being disappointed when Joe McBride left, though I was really too young to take it in. But Tommy Gibb, yes, for me that was the real first heart-sinking loss. He was some player, and I always wondered why he never got to play for Scotland.

Checking the records  Tommy Gibb won a single under-23 cap. Joe McBride was a terrific player. Arrived from Luton town in a swap ,(I think) for Jim Fleming and had a tremendous scoring record at every club for whom he played. Would have been a Lisbon Lion but for injury...

• Like 2

Not quite sure if this is the best thread for this (not worth opening one specially), but as it relates to the squad, I will put it in here. A friend of mine is an East Fife supporter and when emailing me about something else he added the following:

East Fife are doing well just now, with 4 wins & 3 draws in their last 7 matches. I wanted to let you know that we saw the best of James Lyon at last week’s game against Stranraer.

He played really well & scored our opening goal in a 2-1 victory. It’s taken him a while to settle into our squad (quite understandably so) but it was very good to see his drive & confidence on the ball finally coming to the fore. 

Hopefully James will kick on from here.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

Not quite sure if this is the best thread for this (not worth opening one specially), but as it relates to the squad, I will put it in here. A friend of mine is an East Fife supporter and when emailing me about something else he added the following:

East Fife are doing well just now, with 4 wins & 3 draws in their last 7 matches. I wanted to let you know that we saw the best of James Lyon at last week’s game against Stranraer.

He played really well & scored our opening goal in a 2-1 victory. It’s taken him a while to settle into our squad (quite understandably so) but it was very good to see his drive & confidence on the ball finally coming to the fore. 

Indeed, I think we’d all like to see James succeed at Firhill. Perhaps still needs to work on the physical side of the game, and pressing and shutting down when we don’t have possession. But there’s a talent there to be nurtured. He’s got a great touch and an eye for goal. Perhaps our close season transfer activity may create more of a midfield balance to accommodate his potential 

3 hours ago, partickthedog said:

Good that he has found his level. 

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Indeed, I think we’d all like to see James succeed at Firhill. Perhaps still needs to work on the physical side of the game, and pressing and shutting down when we don’t have possession. But there’s a talent there to be nurtured. He’s got a great touch and an eye for goal. Perhaps our close season transfer activity may create more of a midfield balance to accommodate his potential 

Might be a step too far for James when we are in the Premiership next season 

edit to add …. Perhaps we could loan him to United or Aberdeen for a season in the Championship to see how he gets on.

Edited by Dick Dastardly

17 hours ago, partickthedog said:

13 hours ago, jagfox said:

Good that he has found his level. 

Not sure where the down votes came from. 

Maybe I should expand for those who seem upset by my statement?

The lad is 21, 22 in October and is in need of games. He got a few games at the start of the season. Once Doolan had added the likes of McInroy and Alston and bedded in he was surplus to requirements at that point. 

He needs first team football and has had to go down the leagues to find first team football and he has found that under Campbell at L2 East Fife which is great for Lyon and he is getting more regular football which is the purpose of the loan from a Thistle point of view.

He seems to be a likeable lad and has the benefit of continued first team training with Thistle when not at East Fife's training nights and gamedays.

So good on him finding his level as sitting on the bench for us is no use for either James or the club.

The hypothetical question is whether L1 or L2 or at least part-time football will be his future ceiling going forward?

He has had a fleeting glimpses with Thistle to suggest he is a decent player. He obviously lacks in physicality but as Lawless shows skill and determination can get you up the leagues. Stevie was on countless loans before Thistle gave him the chance at a full-time level playing  first team football. Is he on the same level as Lawless? Not by a fair way in my opinion.

However, he is under contract to next summer (2025) so has a big season ahead of him as he will be 22 by the summer and 23 in the first half of next season.

He made his move in February after the Scottish Midfielder was added to the ranks so he was further down the pecking order.

So Tl;Dr: he has found his level, certainly for the time being.

The question may have been better put, what is his ceiling?

Edited by jagfox

Agree with much of jagfox's comments above.

Perhaps if we had McBeth in from the start of the season one or two midfielder signings wouldn't have been made and James could've got more game time with us. That not being the case, the lack of overall physicality in midfield (pre Neilson/McBeth) was glaringly evident. Lyon will at least get some valuable game time out on loan. He may still not get a lot of game time as team physicality is part and parcel of League Two football but certainly more than what he'd have got with us.

Assuming next season we have a better balance in midfield than we did till recently then James could provide a creative spark to the team. He's certainly shown the potential to do that.

Screenshot_20240330_105612_FotMob.thumb.jpg.b86e8e313e11d478770aac6a4ed5b41c.jpg

Lyon is certainly getting more game time but hasn't played 90 minutes yet. 

Hope he can get a run of starts now he has scored for East Fife last week. 

Illustrates any player can struggle for game time, even in the bottom tier.

Okay. Downvote rescinded now you've explained what you meant. Your initial comment came across as just being a very negative write off of a young player.

Hope James continues to progress - he comes across as likeable with a good attitude.

8 hours ago, fenski said:

Okay. Downvote rescinded now you've explained what you meant. Your initial comment came across as just being a very negative write off of a young player.

Hope James continues to progress - he comes across as likeable with a good attitude.

Agree with the first paragraph as that was also my interpretation of the post. If it wasn't intended as criticism, then perhaps it could have been expressed differently.

Fully agree with your final sentence - James is an asset and one whom I hope is able to progress his career with Thistle.