Got The Blues

The problem might be that a team defending desperately at the end of a game starts conceding numerous fouls, using chronic time wasting tactics, and potentially showing dissent at every decision.

What then? - does the ref end up sending 3 or 4 or 5 players to the "sin-bin" effectively reducing the game to a farce just to ensure Rangers equalise or get a late winner?

So how many blue cards until you get a yellow card?  If you finish a game in the sin bin do you start the next game in the sin bin? And if I play a reverse card, can I put the ref in the sin bin? And if I play a Draw Four card, will Munn’s honor it?

Too many refs are scared of managers complaining. If it is more than a yellow, it is a red. PERIOD.

And any red card appeal should have the suspension automatically doubled if it is unsuccessful. Too many whimsical appeals. If you can't take the punishment, don't commit the crime.

The sin bin works in rugby but it works under the context of a yellow card being given for repeated fouling, dissent or denying a scoring opportunity with red cards reserved for fouls that endanger player safety or for 2 yellow cards. 

So to my mind we don't need a blue card, we need to redefine what a yellow card is.

I suspect the introduction of a blue card provides an easy way out for refs. I doubt the extra man advantage make a difference to the score of a game as most teams will just park the bus and time waste for 10 minutes.

Where a sin bin could be more useful is in penalising timewasting 

4 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Too many refs are scared of managers complaining. If it is more than a yellow, it is a red. PERIOD.

And any red card appeal should have the suspension automatically doubled if it is unsuccessful. Too many whimsical appeals. If you can't take the punishment, don't commit the crime.

Not saying I agree with it. I was saying what the problem is that they are trying to solve. There is obviously a perception among the authorities that there is something between a yellow and a red.

9 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

No different for when a keeper gets a red card 

Yes it is. Your original keeper comes back on...

11 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Would have to sub an outfield player, assuming all subs have not been made.

You then potentially have two keepers.

Not a dig guys, just highlighting the lack of joined up thinking behind this shambles.

Edited by jagfox

5 minutes ago, jagfox said:

Yes it is. Your original keeper comes back on...

You then potentially have two keepers.

Not a dig guys, just highlighting the lack of joined up thinking behind this shambles.

Then the sub keeper can play as a striker and score from 30yds.

Guess you would have to use two substitutions, if available, to get the sub goalie off again. If you don't have two subs left, you would have to put an outfield player in goal for 10 mins.

14 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Then the sub keeper can play as a striker and score from 30yds.

Guess you would have to use two substitutions, if available, to get the sub goalie off again. If you don't have two subs left, you would have to put an outfield player in goal for 10 mins.

Or sub the sinbinned keeper for an outfield player the moment the suspension is over. Manager has a choice to make

Not sure if this is the right solution but I do appreciate that there is a problem which it would be helpful to address. Speaking neutrally as a fan of open attacking football it always annoys me when a player beats another player with a bit of trickery, or a player is sprung forward through an enterprising series of quick passes, a defender will often wrestle the player in possession to the ground and stifle the promising move at birth.

Occasionally that defender is the last man and is rightfully red carded. However, 90% of the time the offending player is lauded as “taking one for the team”. Indeed a player can often be criticised for not fouling an opponent early on in a move that leads to an attack. A yellow card does not really help the other team (unless it goes to make up a red). Therefore the defending side has killed the move and got away Scot free. 

There is definitely a case for a more effective remedy to discourage cynical fouls. Not sure if the blue card is the best idea, but willing to give it a try.

• Like 1