Brian Graham

jaggy

The first time I saw Brian Graham don the red and yellow was the 2020 Challenge Cup semi-final against Raith Rovers.

It was the last Thistle game my dad made it to, and we lost with an absolutely horrendous performance.

But the one thing I distinctly remember, departing Firhill that evening, was the solid 30 seconds for which Brian Graham was screaming in Mitch Austin's face for being an absolute half-arsed excuse of a footballer.

At that moment, I had this nagging feeling that Brian Graham was going to be at the heart of restoring a winning mentality at Firhill. A mentality that Gary Caldwell had crushed and which, at that time, Ian McCall had really struggled to rebuild.

What a player. What a captain. And what a manager.

First rate Jag.

Boing Boing.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, allyo said:

I still think he's under-rated by Jags support. 

By some sections probably. There's been a few on here having a go at the number of chances he's missed after some games. For me rule of thumb is do you want a player playing for you or against you. Id definitelyrather have him in the team. I can't imagine too many defenders look forward to facing him!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fifexile said:

By some sections probably. There's been a few on here having a go at the number of chances he's missed after some games. For me rule of thumb is do you want a player playing for you or against you. Id definitelyrather have him in the team. I can't imagine too many defenders look forward to facing him!

Agree,Scott McDonald was also that type of player, didn't want to have him play against us, but was very good for us.

I agree with all that has been said above about BBG.

The big thing for me about Graham is that he never hides. If Lawless or Fitzpatrick can get the ball into the 6 yard box Graham will be there even when he is having a barren spell.

He will miss some chances, all Strikers do, but in and around the 6 yard box he is a predator. The second goal v Airdrie shows Graham at his best. Graham was waiting/anticipating something might happen and when the keeper spilled the ball he was on to it in a flash leaving his marker in his wake.

What a player and what a signing.

Congratulations on receiving these nominations and best of luck in the future - hopefully at Firhill.

So glad he won, richly deserved. 

I don't think we'd be near the playoffs without him. His goal tally is something else and even more remarkable given his age. 

I had my doubts making him captain but he's excelled in both roles this season, a constant driver of standards to his team mates. 

Well done Brian, here's hoping a few more goals gets you that promotion you deserve. 

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

The big man looking dapper and speaking well.

The previous Thistle winner 23 years ago. Am I right in thinking Scott McLean?

Who won in 2012-2013? Was it Lyle Taylor, then of Falkirk? Chris Erskine should at least have been in the conversation.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Who won in 2012-2013? Was it Lyle Taylor, then of Falkirk? Chris Erskine should at least have been in the conversation.

You are right on both points. Not sure why no-one in the 2012/13 team won but maybe because it was a team effort with many players contributing to our success? 

I wasn't that fussed about Erskine, at the time, as he had jumped ship with McNamara and Paton haha.

8 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

2 minutes ago, jagfox said:

You are right on both points. Not sure why no-one in the 2012/13 team won but maybe because it was a team effort with many players contributing to our success? 

Good point re the team effort back then. I think Erskine would have been our fans choice but only just. So many to choose from and all be justified. I could put in an argument re Sean Welsh. He was rarely if ever man of the match but he was so often a close runner up. Mr Consistency was Sean back then.

Assume it was Lyle Taylor in 12/13. He scored 24 league goals (near half of Falkirk's goals). 

14 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Good point re the team effort back then. I think Erskine would have been our fans choice but only just. So many to choose from and all be justified. I could put in an argument re Sean Welsh. He was rarely if ever man of the match but he was so often a close runner up. Mr Consistency was Sean back then.

Assume it was Lyle Taylor in 12/13. He scored 24 league goals (near half of Falkirk's goals). 

Welsh was good and I don't think he was in a losing league team that season? However even then he was hit by injury and missed around 25% of games so he wouldn't have been in the running perhaps?