Christie Signs On

Derby Jag

According to ET, Christie Elliot will be the latest player to sign on

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/mobile/sport/spl/elliot-is-latest-to-re-sign-for-jags-125569n.21196992

Happy for him to get a new deal but think it could be worth getting him out on loan to a decent First Division side for the first few months of season. He would benefit with some regular starts as I can't see him getting much early season game time with us. There is definitely a player in him that I think just needs confidence and experience to come out

Edited by Derby Jag

He deserves a chance in the SPL.

FWIW I think the SPL is more about speed and strength that the 1st so if he plays to his strengths he can do well.

Tend to agree with this, and if the budget has been doubled from last season, i'd imagine there's room to have him in the squad. a great option to have on the bench. and certainley not one of our highest earners.

• Like 1

I think he came a long way in the last 6 months of last year. For a start, he started playing with his head up, which is a massive step forward. If he can continue to develop, at 21, he's definitely worth a shot. Agree he needs regular football, a half year loan deal at a first division club would be ideal.

It must do his nut in that everyone calls him Elliot when his name's Elliott (check his Twitter), and I include our official website in that. Or maybe it's just me...very amateur-ish.

Anyway, onto the player himself, if I was in Archie's shoes I wouldn't have offered him a new deal. However, he won't be a regular starter, he's a squad player and he's often proven to be dangerous coming off the bench when there are tired legs out there. He needs to work on his positioning first and foremost, for me, but hopefully if - as suggested - he has a loan spell to begin with and returns, he'll make some sort of impact.

Quite happy to see Christie signing on again. Be good if the two Aarons, Sean and Banzo took the extensions as well as it would leave us in a great position for the following season just in case it goes tits up next season (if reconstruction goes through there could be two going down from the SPHell next season.... Automatic and play off)

Edited by Lindau

He deserves a chance in the SPL.

FWIW I think the SPL is more about speed and strength that the 1st so if he plays to his strengths he can do well.

Agree.

I'd rather have a young player with strength and pace that might improve than a technically better player that's lost a yard or two with age against him that can never regain his best.

We do tho' need experience further up the park. We've two centrebacks in management plus Shug Murray so the defensive side of things is pretty well covered from a learning point of view. But much of the point in bringing in experience is to help develop the younger players, so re-signing Elliot makes a good deal of sense to me. Putting aside the affordability factor I think Harkins would be that sort of player.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Dont think there are many jags fans that wouldnt take Harkins back however I can see him getting better offers from elsewhere. Think we really need a half decent big signing just to get the fans juices going again for what will be an exceptionally hard season next season. Harkins would definitely fit that bill!

It must do his nut in that everyone calls him Elliot when his name's Elliott (check his Twitter), and I include our official website in that. Or maybe it's just me...very amateur-ish.

Anyway, onto the player himself, if I was in Archie's shoes I wouldn't have offered him a new deal. However, he won't be a regular starter, he's a squad player and he's often proven to be dangerous coming off the bench when there are tired legs out there. He needs to work on his positioning first and foremost, for me, but hopefully if - as suggested - he has a loan spell to begin with and returns, he'll make some sort of impact.

But Jags have done this before! Jimmy McGown was throughout his career listed everywhere as "McGowan". He finally stopped complaining!
  • Like 1

Yes he is fast and tries hard, yes he scored against Airdrie and yes he seems like a nice enough guy but there is no way he is an SPL striker. There is also no way he would get a regular game for a half decent 1st Division team on loan, same way he never has for us.

Happy to be proved wrong and he won't be getting much of a wage but I couldn't be any less excited about this.

Been sponsoring him for the last two seasons and have seen him improve in those two years and he certainly has filled out recently. I don,t think with his age and experience you can really expect him to have banged in 10+ goals a season just yet. I don,t know if the stats are accurate but from 50 starts he has scored 10 goals so maybe there is a goalscorer there. As a player that will be around in football for the future I think this is a year when he does need to find his most positive playing position and if that is as a striker then he does need to get that 10+ goal return. Go for it Christie!