Archie Must Go ?

javeajag

Motherwell fans say we were unlucky to get pumped 5-1 and we're a better team than St Mirren, Killie, RC and Hearts.

Get the defence sorted and Osbourne back and we'll be fine. Some of those Motherwell goals yesterday were a joke from our point of view but individual mistakes aren't the fault of Archie.

What the **** was Piccolo doing?

Worth pointing out that only a month ago Motherwell were at a low ebb - out of the cup at the hands of Albion Rovers then pumped 5-0 at home by our opponents this Wednesday. They have seemingly recovered (albeit with a bit of help from ourselves, inter alia), perhaps we can do likewise - although our aspirations could be less "upward" more "less downward".

I've not turned my sights on you at all, for goodness sake! I've asked you to clarify what you meant in a couple of posts you made this morning. One being a direct lift from the official website... The other you said "For me there was nothing particularly mind blowing about the substitution" but now you say you don't know why he replaced Elliott and guess that it might be that he wasn't involved in the first 25 minutes or that he might be ill.

I'll repeat again, regardless of historical errors by referees, you can't claim for a penalty when the foul happens at least a foot outside the box. The defender was static, there is no claim for a penalty. I haven't said the wall was the full distance back, it clearly wasn't, but to suggest it was only 6 yards is incorrect. One side of the wall is probably 8 or 9 yards away. It's a pity neither forbes or Sinclair, who was standing beside the ref brought up the distance.

I'm not sure what booking you are talking about, McFadden didn't get booked and was subbed off on 78 minutes.

Ok. I didn't write the commentary or read it. I apologise if I have the same view as some other supporter. You are really splitting hairs regarding the penalty if the challenge was only a foot outside and whether the wall was the required distance away. Elliot was ill, hence his substitution. You seemed to infer that it was a tactical decision by the manager.

I am obviously mistaken about McFadden, but there was a challenge almost exactly the same as the one on Balatoni that was penalised.

Wasn't at the game v. Motherwell but just saw the highlights...ouch++

'Well players running behind us at will, untracked, for tap-ins. the whole team bar Doolan are responsible for this limp defending.

However I was at the ICT game and we were good so let's stop wetting our knickers and calling for a sacking. We can bring in new players, we can work harder in defense and we can beat Hearts and RC.

Taylor is the first step, an experienced leader at the back would be another and Fraser's return would be like a new signing

Ok. I didn't write the commentary or read it. I apologise if I have the same view as some other supporter. You are really splitting hairs regarding the penalty if the challenge was only a foot outside and whether the wall was the required distance away. Elliot was ill, hence his substitution. You seemed to infer that it was a tactical decision by the manager.

I am obviously mistaken about McFadden, but there was a challenge almost exactly the same as the one on Balatoni that was penalised.

There's no need to apologise, it just struck me as being word for word with the clubs half time summary.

I've never inferred it was a tactical decision. If anything I suggested it was due to fitness as I had noticed that we had deliberately avoided getting the ball out right for the first 25 minutes.

I really don't understand why you have an issue conversing with me, it's ok, I'm not questioning the board. You can take your toe off the party line.

I have no idea how that tackle can be suggested as a penalty claim, I didn't hear anyone in the north stand call for it. But I assume your view from the JHS suggested the tackle was inside the box? Were you in line with it? Again I have never suggested that I thought the wall was the required distance.

McFadden committed 3 fouls in the second half, only one of them was on balatoni I think. Balatoni lets the ball bounce for some reason and McFadden charges him, Nothing like the incident previously at the third goal where the Motherwell player basically uses his bum to put balatoni off balance. But again if that's the way you saw it then so be it, it just shows that different seats in the ground can lead to folk having totally different readings of incidents.

Edited by potty trained

the Motherwell player basically uses his bum to put balatoni off balance.

Which is a foul but not very blatant and easily gotten away with. Unfortunately too many of the fouls of this type which we see in our games are committed by opposition players who get away with it. Boyd shoving Muirhead away to score in the Killie game is one which springs to mind which cost us. Experience and knowledge of what refs will give leeway to. Hopefully our players are learning from the experience.....

Which is a foul but not very blatant and easily gotten away with. Unfortunately too many of the fouls of this type which we see in our games are committed by opposition players who get away with it. Boyd shoving Muirhead away to score in the Killie game is one which springs to mind which cost us. Experience and knowledge of what refs will give leeway to. Hopefully our players are learning from the experience.....

It's a very common "foul". One of the easiest fouls to commit is knowing that perfect second where the slightest touch will put someone off their stride. For example Craigans header over the bar from the Lawless cross.

The defender just slightly touches Craigan, but it's enough to make him mistime his jump.

Thistle have under achieved for years and ignored the youth side of things etc but this set up is night and day compared to last season and although it's still early days the playing style is fantastic to watch at times.

Excelllent coaching and a set up that will just keep getting better and better.

The foundations are being laid for a set up that will attract good quality footballers to the club that would previously not have considered the club as an option.

Folk are now seeing Thistle become serious players in the youth side of things with the manager very much involved in it and this is going to be really important for Thistle's future.

The manager must get the backing to add to his squad that hopefully achieves top flight football for next season so they can carry on with the plan he has for the club.

Even though panic is setting in just now with some, the club is in a good place these days and i think has an exciting future

Patience is key in all this and it won't all happen overnight.

Staying in top flight football will be important for the club to take the next step and games against Hearts and Ross County will be like cup finals, but everyone needs to get behind what the club are trying to do.

are you sure you support rangers as you talk too much sense.

It's great getting your input as a neutral but also the great indeprh reports about the youth teams and st ups where I know on this your as red and yellow as the rest of us

• Like 1

Baird, Kerr and it hurts me to say, Forbes need to be shipped out in January to get some urgently needed new blood in. Thought Forbes would step up this season, but even though he hasnt had many opportunities, when he has came on he looks like a guy that is in a huff because he aint getting picked....he just doesnt look interested

Forbes has been a real disappointment this season. Ok he is not getting picked to start regularly, however when he is introduced to the game he looks sluggish and just plain rank. We do not need a player like that at our club. He needs to chip in or chip out in my opinion. He has done himself no favours.

There's no need to apologise, it just struck me as being word for word with the clubs half time summary.

I've never inferred it was a tactical decision. If anything I suggested it was due to fitness as I had noticed that we had deliberately avoided getting the ball out right for the first 25 minutes.

I really don't understand why you have an issue conversing with me, it's ok, I'm not questioning the board. You can take your toe off the party line.

I have no idea how that tackle can be suggested as a penalty claim, I didn't hear anyone in the north stand call for it. But I assume your view from the JHS suggested the tackle was inside the box? Were you in line with it? Again I have never suggested that I thought the wall was the required distance.

McFadden committed 3 fouls in the second half, only one of them was on balatoni I think. Balatoni lets the ball bounce for some reason and McFadden charges him, Nothing like the incident previously at the third goal where the Motherwell player basically uses his bum to put balatoni off balance. But again if that's the way you saw it then so be it, it just shows that different seats in the ground can lead to folk having totally different readings of incidents.

I am not sure why you are bringing up the board in this topic. I haven't commented on their performance for many months. At the start of the season I was giving them the benefit of the doubt. Sadly, it doesn't look like much progress is being made.

Regarding the incidents in the game on Sunday, I wasn't trying to infer that it was definitely a penalty or a foul on Balatoni - but more that we have all seen penalties and free kicks been given in similar situations. We have had loads of borderline( and not so borderline) decisions go against us this season at times in the game when it could have made a huge difference. Examples are :- the penalty that wasn't given vs DU 1st game of the season, that would have seen Butcher? sent off. The foul on Fraser, just before Hearts equalised. Doolans goals chopped off for offside vs Hibs and I think Celtic. Goodwins handball in the St. Mirren game. All of these are types of incidents where different decisions have been given in games. Sure, there will have been decisions that have gone our way - but not at such crucial or important times in the game.

Edited by Lenziejag

Forbes has been a real disappointment this season. Ok he is not getting picked to start regularly, however when he is introduced to the game he looks sluggish and just plain rank. We do not need a player like that at our club. He needs to chip in or chip out in my opinion. He has done himself no favours.

He actually nearly scored a great goal on sunday, took a good save from the Well keeper to stop it going in

I saw this thread title and thought someones at the wind up. But no?

You do wonder what people want sometimes.

Archie is doing a good job under difficult learning conditions and is hardly responsible for some of our squad failing to finish chances I'd convert. He's not perfect but I've yet to meet anyone who is, ever.

We have a manager who came in last season and absolutely turned it around with that great run. I'm pretty sure Archie and Shaggy are trying to iron out our defensive horror shows but we just dont have the quality in those positions. It'll come.

One year in and after getting to the promised land, and being above the play off place right now, and some want change?

Not me.

Our form is better than Ross County's.

And that might just be our saving grace this year, it is impossible to overstate the importance of the Hearts and Ross County games. For the self respect of the players if nothing else, if we get tanned against Celtic it will mean very little in the great scheme of things. Frankly, I'd rather have a go at Celtic and if we get beat, it's what most people would expect anyway. At least Celtic will let you play football, unlike Inverness to name but one.

Never ceases to amaze how some folk on here are incapable of taking a step back and looking at the bigger picture. Our frustrations at the moment are a big ******* massive snowball effect of stupid mistakes at the back and players missing sitters.

Without doubt, the results fall at the door of the manager. That said, the management has the team creating chances, the players are not taking them. On-on-ones, failing to hit the target from 5 yards out with half the goal open are but some of the glaring sitters we seem to be unable to take. That is not the managements fault. Then there's the lapses of concentration and naivety at the back which has been our downfall. We badly need experience at the back.

These are the players Archie has got to work with though. With the right additions I think our fortunes will improve.

• Like 2