Thistle Transfer Targets Gossip, Summer 2014

yoda-jag

I think the tendency to always label people as though that somehow discredits any points they have is not helpful

For one I am genuinely concerned that we have not improved our central defence which is by far the weakest part of the team indeed Conrad and Muirhead are simply not good enough as a pairing based on thd first part of last season add ATS leaving and SODs performances last year and I think you have every right to express concern .... We lost 1.77 goals a game and it will take a lot to bring that down with the current squad

• Like 1

• Members

To be fair to the guys in defence Javeajag, they are all a year older and have now experience at the top level. The only biggie for me is that we've yet to replace ATS. Concerned at the lack of cover but not with the 3 guys (4 if you count McMillan) that will probably be starting the season.

I think the tendency to always label people as though that somehow discredits any points they have is not helpful

For one I am genuinely concerned that we have not improved our central defence which is by far the weakest part of the team indeed Conrad and Muirhead are simply not good enough as a pairing based on thd first part of last season add ATS leaving and SODs performances last year and I think you have every right to express concern .... We lost 1.77 goals a game and it will take a lot to bring that down with the current squad

Maybe the knicker wetter gibes are rather unnecessary but so is making the same point ad nauseam. I know I'm guilty of repeating myself on here but you've taken repetitiveness and made it into an art form.

You don't rate either Muirhead or Balatoni. You believe we need two new centrebacks. Fine that's your opinion. But why do you have to tell us on such a regular basis? Unless you really are wetting your pants.

• Like 1

But at the start of last season we were getting suprised praise from the media about our general play. We had lost only one game in 5, narrowly, 1-0 to Motherwell, won 2 and conceded only one goal in the other 2 draws before the Aberdeen game where the central defence was switched and Piccolo came in.

Other than the 2 Aberdeen games where Balatoni/Muirhead was dropped, the only other team to score more than 1 goal against us, in the first round of games was celtic. We were losing some daft, late goals, and the defence needed improvement. But for their first season in the top flight, playing behind a young and inexperience team I think Aaron and Conrad did quite well.

........................ Gallacher .......................

McMillan .. Muirhead .. Balatoni .. Keenan

................ Fraser ..... Osman ...................

........................ Bannigan .........................

.......Stevenson ............. Higginbotham ....

......................... Doolan ............................

Trying to think of our best team/ formation and I reckon this is it. Liam Lyndsey looked a good prospect so not sure whether he would be a better option at left back for Keenan but going by pre-season I assume Keenan is preffered for that position. Its not a bad team but not much at all left for the bench. As everyone has said CB, LB and FW (all better than we have) as minimum. Lets see what happens!

EDIT: On second thoughts I'd probably field this team but know others would prefer my first team for Bannigan in midfield reasons - but he is a great LB.

........................ Gallacher .......................

McMillan .. Muirhead .. Balatoni .. Bannigan

.................. Fraser ..... Osman ...................

...Stevenson ..... Craigen ... Higginbotham ..

.......................... Doolan ............................

Edited by read'n'yell

Right now I think I would go with

Gallagher

O'Donnell

Muirhead

Balatoni

McMillan

Fraser

Osman

Stevenson

Lawless

Higginbotham

Doolan

Not sure how fit Bannigan will be to start the season and think we are better with someone direct in the centre of the 3 attacking midfielders, not sure if Bannigan or Fraser would really suit that position.

Archie has said he hopes to bring someone in (contracted to a club; not one of the trialists) tomorrow. Not a definite, but he's hopeful. That would be great.

I took the quotes as he was hoping for the player to come in tomorrow for talks/train with the team. Could be wrong though.

Maybe the knicker wetter gibes are rather unnecessary but so is making the same point ad nauseam. I know I'm guilty of repeating myself on here but you've taken repetitiveness and made it into an art form.

You don't rate either Muirhead or Balatoni. You believe we need two new centrebacks. Fine that's your opinion. But why do you have to tell us on such a regular basis? Unless you really are wetting your pants.

Eh you have made this point how many times now?!

For the record I would keep balatoni he improved when Mair came but muirhead and piccolo need replaced hence my belief we need two centre backs

And I'm very copacetic thanks!

Eh you have made this point how many times now?!

A smart arse retort. Be obliged if you could direct me to multiple posts where Ive' pointed out your utter repetitiveness.

For the record I would keep balatoni he improved when Mair came but muirhead and piccolo need replaced hence my belief we need two centre backs

"For the record" :) . This isn't ******* Hansard.

And yes I think by now we all know you believe we need two centrebacks. :thumbsup2:

A smart arse retort. Be obliged if you could direct me to multiple posts where Ive' pointed out your utter repetitiveness.

"For the record" :) . This isn't ******* Hansard.

And yes I think by now we all know you believe we need two centrebacks. :thumbsup2:

You have this point to a number of people so stop being a smart arse.....

I clarified with Chris Jack on twitter. It's a signing from another club. Not over line yet but almost. Other signings expected.

Good to here. Hopefully by the middle of next week we can have a couple of new faces. At least Archie isn't satisfied to just fill the squad with rotation players, and is actually looking for guys of equal or better ability to what we currently have.

The proportion is surely

Out

Mair

ATS

Buaben

Osbourne

Erskine

Taylor

In

Stevenson

Osman

If you take Stevenson as a replacement for Erskine and Osman for Osbourne (Buaben didn't really play similar position to them) then we are lacking a left back, centre back, striker and arguably an attacking midfielder unless Archie has faith in some U20's to make the step up.

I've not seen any comments on this forum which say anything more 'pant wetting'-ish than highlighting this fact; we need to replace the players we have lost if we want to kick on as a club and give us the best possible opportunity of avoiding an ugly scrap for 10th place again. We were told by Beattie that we had the money to do this and by Shaggy they had plans to do this early. The fact pre-season is over and we have two new players is very disappointing to many amongst us.

I'm also not saying we will go down with our current squad, we may very well stay up but I would fancy our chances much more if we addressed the problems in the squad.

And just to clarigy I think we will make some signings before end of the window but I worry whether it will be of the quantity or the quality that many of us hope.

That is more in line with the real state of affairs. Only, I wouldn't include Osbourne as he was out for 1/2 the season and although you say Buaben wasn't a direct replacement, I don't think we would have brought him in if Osbourne hadn't got injured in that ridiculous St J game that should never have started.

That is more in line with the real state of affairs. Only, I wouldn't include Osbourne as he was out for 1/2 the season and although you say Buaben wasn't a direct replacement, I don't think we would have brought him in if Osbourne hadn't got injured in that ridiculous St J game that should never have started.

I would agree that Prince probably only came due to Osbournes injury but at the same time we had a budget to have them both (Moncur as well I guess) here. I'm sure Ozzy was one of the highest earners at the club and if I remember there was talk at the time implying Prince hadn't come cheap.

I don't really see the need to be honest.

We have Elliott and Lawless on the right, craigan and Stevenson through the middle, higgy on the left.

I wouldn't include Lawless as a wide player. He's been ineffective for us when played out there, although he could cover. I'd like to see another wide player come in, even if it isn't our top priority.