Expectation Levels For The Season Ahead

billko

Just thought we should find out what folk are expecting from the season ahead.

Most Jags fan will probably agree in that Thistle should really have fiinished 7th rather than 10th.

Should top 6 be the goal for this season or just consolidate your position again as a top flight club by avoiding relegation?

My thoughts are and i know it cost Thistle £150,000 but to improve again this season finishing above 10th is a more realistic target and not a bad thing for that to have been Thistle's finishing position in the league last season.

Players will gain from the experience of last year as will the management and it will be interesting to see if that is the case.and how they approach this season.

Getting the right players in for the key position's that need filled is crucial though for Thistle to push on in League and Cup comps.

I think fans will all know though it will be another rollercoaster ride of a season and the usual "doom and gloomers" and so called "happy clappers" will be at each others throats again with Archie being the main topic in whether he is worthy of the job or not.

Thoughts?

The aim this year for me is just to stay up, I'd quite happily take another 10th spot, staying in the league is so important for next year with potentially Rangers and a Hearts or Hibs coming back up. I think Archie will be aiming higher but ultimately staying in the division and avoiding playoffs is a must. It's difficult trying to think where we will finish after only signing Stevo, who is a superb signing, but I would have been looking alot higher up the league had we signed Taylor, he just fitted in to our team perfectly. Hopefully we can shore up the defence and have a decent season, to be honest our home form couldn't have been any worse, surely we can get a few more wins at home and make it a comfortable season.

• Like 1

Be in a cup competition past mid Feb and I'd settle for a few less meaningful league games by April. Setting our sights on top six should be a target but no disgrace if as I expect we fall short of that. Want to see us by end of season not talking so much about new experienced signings and more dependent on our young home grown talent.

Also more sevco fans joining our ranks!

• Like 1

I want us to get Top 6 and win a cup - if St Johnstone can do it then it should be our aspiration.

I expect us to push for top 6 but maybe fall short, but to be clear of the playoffs - finishing anywhere from 6th to 9th. I also expect us to get to the quarter finals of a cup.

St Johnstone will be entering there 6th successive season in the top tier, I agree we should be aiming there, but in our second season is too great a goal

Avoiding the relegation/play off places for me. I think whoever ends up in the play off place in the Championship will be very tough - whether that is NuGers, the Tarts, or the Hibs remains to be seen. Although there could be a surprise!!

A half decent run in both/one of the Cups would also be good but feel the experience of staying in the top league should be the main priority for the younger players and to start consolidating a place in the top league before the NuGers, the Tarts, and Hibs return!!

:ph34r:

Edited by Dragon

A more comfortable 10th should be acceptable to any jags fans other than the usual malcontents, however with a couple of half decent defenders and another striker we could be aiming higher. So disappointed that we didn't get Taylor and judging by his comments, so is Archie.

Staying up again is the target, so anything above 10th is a bonus. A cup run would be wonderful, either in the league of Scottish cup. However, I'm more concerned that we continue to play our brand of football, passing the ball, attacking with pace and showing the rest of the league that it can be done, and also continuing to give young players a chance to show what they can do. Realistically there was such a large gap between the top 6 and bottom 6 last season that I can't really see anyone from the bottom half pushing into the top but I do think it'll be closer this season.

• Like 1

7th is my target because it was so attainable last year even though we were new and our home form was terrible. Given that Accies and Dundee just came up and Killie has to replace half its scoring, this is the kind of season where reasonable improvements can lead to 7th.

In a league filled with Hamilton, Dundee, Ross County, St. Mirren, Kilmarnock and Inverness CT, I think I'd be a bit disappointed to finish 10th again.

I think we should finish 8th. If we finish higher I'll be delighted, 9th I'll be okay and 10th I'll be a wee bit disappointed. 11th & 12th I'd obviously be gutted...

In a league filled with Hamilton, Dundee, Ross County, St. Mirren, Kilmarnock and Inverness CT, I think I'd be a bit disappointed to finish 10th again.

I think we should finish 8th. If we finish higher I'll be delighted, 9th I'll be okay and 10th I'll be a wee bit disappointed. 11th & 12th I'd obviously be gutted...

Looking at it like that then there should be no reason, bar ridiculous spending by these likely rivals, that we should fair worse than last season. Feel it more important the way we reach whatever position under our own steam rather than bringing in journeymen plus guys just to sneak a position one rung further up the ladder.

Don't want to sound too much like a deluded idealist but I really believe we can kick on with the lads already signed. Just need to bring in two or maybe three catalysts.

Just a little bit more consistency this season should see us finish comfortably above the play off spot.

I predict Doolan and Higgy to have the season of their lives and for us to keep the same ethos, playing style and team spirit as last year and score a bucket load of goals against Killie, St Mirren, Hamilton and Dundee.

I think we're capable of finishing 7th...

We were a long way behind 6th last season and recovering that gap in 1 season may be too much. I would settle for 10th or better but closer to 6th than last season.

My hope for 6th is based on an assumption that ICT will fall away this year, leaving one place open. I think we have as good a chance as anybody of getting it - but equally wouldn't be surprised or too disappointed if we didn't.

• Like 1

Target is 10th but hoping for higher. As noted above, hopefully continuing to play football the way we did the last two seasons and improve the home form. Though we were well behind St J and ICT on points, we matched them in our meetings. There is not a lot between most teams in the Premiership. Marginal improvements in a few areas can make a big difference to a club's final position.

I'm guessing expectation levels among the majority of fans will be 8th-10th. My opinion with the current squad is 12th or at a push possibly 11th. Quite simply we do not have enough goals in us and our defence will be like a sieve again. Maybe in 8 weeks time my opinion will have changed but I think Archibalds achilles heel, regardless of who we sign, will be his loyalty to the guys who got us out of Div 1. Strap yourselves in. Gonna be another long hard bumpy ride.

I'm guessing expectation levels among the majority of fans will be 8th-10th. My opinion with the current squad is 12th or at a push possibly 11th. Quite simply we do not have enough goals in us and our defence will be like a sieve again. Maybe in 8 weeks time my opinion will have changed but I think Archibalds achilles heel, regardless of who we sign, will be his loyalty to the guys who got us out of Div 1. Strap yourselves in. Gonna be another long hard bumpy ride.

I.e. The guys who kept us up lat year?