Aaron Muirhead- Away

jagfaelivi

The official site has just posted that Aero's contract has been mutually terminated.

What a great player he was for us in the Championship winning season and I hope that he goes on to do good things elsewhere. The rumour is that he's off to Falkirk.

When he signed for us from Annan I was sure he was going to end up a great Jag but it just never worked out for him at the top level.

Best of luck to you Aero in the rest of your career and thanks for all you did in a Thistle strip.

• Like 1

Mixed feelings. Was brilliant in the First division and I still think he could go on to good things, but he didn't make the step up. Unlucky with injuries, never seemed to have the belief and has now been displaced by (currently) better players. Hope it works out for him and think it will. He has the talent. But at this stage it's probably the best thing for the Jags.

Good luck to him.

• Members

With Freddy signing an extension and BRE due back, it was inevitable that someone was going to have to be released. Probably could have done with another year at Championship level before making the next step. Good Luck to him, I don't doubt he has the ability to go on and make a really good career in football.

• Like 2

Still young enough to have a half decent career and we all witnessed how good he was in the 2nd level. All the best to Aero, though tinged with a bit of sadness that he didn't quite make the step up. Honestly thought out of all that side that he would be the one that kicked on. Still time for him to do that!

Muirhead looked one of the outstanding talents in the promotion winning side - a decent defender with the ability to bring the ball out of defence and hit accurate passes. I'm genuinely disappointed that it hasn't worked out for him in the top Division - his injury last season didn't help and I always thought the preference for Balatoni to be paired with an experienced centre back(Mair then Seabourne) rather than Aero quite inexplicable.

The only time I saw him play this season, he looked edgy and short of confidence and with the signing of Frans his departure seemed inevitable. It's an unfortunate comment on the way football is played in Scotland that we now have two big, physically strong central defenders who are good at heading the ball clear...the last two goals we have lost have come from Conrad failing to deal with long hoofs down the park.

Muirhead was a big part of the most exciting Thistle side in a generation...good luck to him in the future.

• Like 1

With Freddy signing an extension and BRE due back, it was inevitable that someone was going to have to be released. Probably could have done with another year at Championship level before making the next step. Good Luck to him, I don't doubt he has the ability to go on and make a really good career in football.

both BRE and muirheads contracts are up in the summer and an airdrie supporting colleague has given me mixed reviews about him so not convinced that we should have let Aaron go especially with the possibilities of injuries etc over the next few months. Sorry to see him go and best of luck Aaron in the future

This frees up a wage for us to bring in someone in the January window. Possibly a left back? With McMillan covering that position well enough when fit a left back would have to be able to play midfield or centre back also I'd guess. Also giving a chance for Keenan or Lindsay to get a run out some time?

both BRE and muirheads contracts are up in the summer and an airdrie supporting colleague has given me mixed reviews about him so not convinced that we should have let Aaron go especially with the possibilities of injuries etc over the next few months. Sorry to see him go and best of luck Aaron in the future

I agree with that. Hopefully, Muirhead has another club lined up and the termination cost has not been too expensive. Several other players have gone early in the last year or so - Hugh Murray, John Baird (18 months left on a 2 year deal), Mark Kerr, Ross Forbes, Mark McGuigan, Gabby Piccolo (a season early) and now Aaron Muirhead. The playing budget is tight and their pay-offs could have cost us a couple of players.

Like everyone else I thought he was great in Div 1 and disappointed he never showed his true worth. Don't doubt a fresh start can see him coming back strong and then it'll be "why did we let him go?" !!! but I think it's the best move for all. With Seabourne, Frans, Balatoni and I'm hoping Liam Lindsay and other youth we are covered. We have limited resources so need to have a small squad.

This frees up a wage for us to bring in someone in the January window. Possibly a left back? With McMillan covering that position well enough when fit a left back would have to be able to play midfield or centre back also I'd guess. Also giving a chance for Keenan or Lindsay to get a run out some time?

It's unlikely that Muirhead has secured a deal with a new club on the same money. He will have agreed termination compensation so it's only part of a wage that has been "freed up". I would guess that the money is funding Frans's deal. The club will also have to pay more to BR-E if or when he returns from Airdrie.

The money to pay for a new left-back would have to come from Jake Carroll's loan deal which ends on 15th January. It's possible that we got him cheaply.

I agree with that. Hopefully, Muirhead has another club lined up and the termination cost has not been too expensive. Several other players have gone early in the last year or so - Hugh Murray, John Baird (18 months left on a 2 year deal), Mark Kerr, Ross Forbes, Mark McGuigan, Gabby Piccolo (a season early) and now Aaron Muirhead. The playing budget is tight and their pay-offs could have cost us a couple of players.

Hopefully the timing of this means that he has something lined up. I hope so. Best wishes Aero.

I understand that 'terminated by mutual consent' implies that no money is involved. You, clearly, know better so how much have all of these terminations cost the club?

Concur with these comments, genuinely surprised that Aaron failed to establish himself in the SPFL. During the promotion season I'd have put money on him moving on from Thistle, as he seemed to have all the qualities required in a modern centre half. I sincerely wish him all the best for the future and earnestly hope this move doesn't come back to bite us in the backside!

Hopefully the timing of this means that he has something lined up. I hope so. Best wishes Aero.

I understand that 'terminated by mutual consent' implies that no money is involved. You, clearly, know better so how much have all of these terminations cost the club?

Mutual consent does not mean that no money is involved. It means that a compensation deal has been agreed. In some cases, e.g. John Baird's, there is a separate Compromise Agreement too. CAs are common in business, e.g. when a Director or senior executive leaves a company. The player terminations will probably have cost the club a large five figure sum.

Hope everything works out well for Aero. No sensible Jags fan could have a bad word to say about him and he played an important role in our promotion season. Getting promoted may have ironically worked against him personally as he never did get enough game time playing centreback but that's football,

Have known for a while he was likely to be leaving but I'm guessing the timing is designed to give him a head start getting fixed up.