Club Statement

Jag

We perhaps need to press pause here while others are selling my seat out from underneath me. I have had a Season Ticket since 1995, making next season my twentieth consecutive year. For the majority of those years I have sat in the same seat, Row S Seat 96. I went from there to buy the ticket for the return leg for That-Night-At Tannadice. I went from that seat to buy the ticket for that Day-At-Peterhead. I sat there through the Bunnet Years and visits from the mighty Queens Park and Cowdenbeath. I sit there with Jim and Derek and Chic and the rest of the guys whom I see on average once a fortnight because this is where we meet. Emotional attachment barely scratches at the surface.

Yes there is a problem. It’s probably more sophisticated than the one being described by the Chairman. According to official attendances the average this year is a shade over 3530. Lasts season it was just over 5003. Hidden in there are a few interesting side stories such as two games against Aberdeen lasts season yielded a total of 10747 (average 5373). This season one visit yielded 4145, a significant decrease and a loss of more than 6000 in terms o f overall crowd. The visits of Dundee Utd similarly produced a total crowd of 11570 (average 5785) over two games in season 13/14. This season brought only one game with a crowd of 3761, a loss of more than 7000 gate receipts. I wont bore you with comparisons between the visits of Hearts and HIbs last season compared with Hamilton and Dundee. These figures are in the public domain and you can look them up. They tell their own story.

The solution is it seems to advantage the followers of Glasgow Celtic and to disadvantage the season ticket holders of the Jackie Husband Stand (JHS). Perhaps we need to be careful about this. In season 2013/14 Glasgow Celtic games at Firhill attracted 15527 (average7763). The one game this season where Glasgow Celtic were the visiting team saw a crowd on only 5776. It’s unbelievable that all 2000 of these missing fans were season ticket holders of the JHS. Yet the Chairman, perhaps unwisely, quotes “only 62% of season ticket holders came to the game and only 46% of the JHS capacity was in use”. The conjunction of these two stats is quite clear but I’ll highlite them just so you get the message.

I can, however, ramble on but it will make no immediate difference. Partick Thistle are not “now asking our Jackie Husband season holders to relocate”. It is a “not a decision that we have taken lightly”. It is a decision that has been taken. Period. No consultation. You’re gone.

So what’s in it for me?

Do I get a guarantee that I will be offered some sort of compromise Season ticket arrangement (buy one without the Celtic / Rangers option built in). There is no offer currently on the table. Given what was said about consultation in the previous paragraph I am not holding my breathe on that either. Perhaps some sort of reduction in cost of season tickets for my inconvenience? Still breathing. Given the signs already in the public domain vis-a-vis the preseason friendlies (“Ticket details for the match will be announced as soon as they have been confirmed = we will tell you how much you are paying when we’ve worked out what we can skin you for.)

How about I get my pick of the seats in the North Stand as the price of my willingness to support the cause. I can probably hear my fellow Jags fans revving up their chorus of NIMBY. What about a guarantee that Jim and Derek and Chic and me and all the rest of the regulars in Row S can be seated automatically together in the Main Stand on these occasions? How difficult can that be? The answer I already anticipate is "too difficult".

So what’s in it for me?

Apparently, as of tomorrow, a lot of discount opportunities. Except that I don’t stay in Kirkcaldy or Crieff . I don’t need windows or an alarm and I can already get 25% off my pizza with my half time draw ticket. So apparently for me it’s a clacker.

I am well prepared for the boo-boys and girls who will hurl the “for the good of the club” stuff at me. To them I simply ask what will you be contributing? (North Stand fans please see above)

And if the fates should be kind there is a scenario that would see JHS Season Ticket holders relocated for as many as four games next season. That’s more than 20% of the number of home games. For one-fifth of the season we would effectively be the away support in our own stadium.

Pause for thought indeed as the Season Ticket renewals fall through our letterboxes over the next few weeks.

Damn right.

Also the wording of the letter made me angry. "We're asking...." No you're not, you're telling. Asking means I have a choice.

If there is an option of non OF season ticket then fine, in fact they'll probably make more money from me if I pay for those games.

If not they can shove it and I'll pay when I turn up on a game by game basis or even buy the 5 game packages. Whilst the season ticket may allow planning for the team, at well over £300 for my cash I expect some decent value too. I had to miss the Celtic game last year due to work and so didn't get the benefit of the most expensive home game on my ticket after the postponement.

They can shove the £25 rip off season ticket for kids who are free at the gate too. Where's the justifying that now?

Virtually unanimous acceptance and support for this on the first three pages confuses me. So I'm expected to give up the position that's been mine, standing and seated, for 30 years. And that's okay. Yet giving up the sacred North Stand (an away stand until 3 years ago) was absolutely unacceptable. Hypocracy is unbelievable.

Anyway, for the sake of the Jags I have no problem with it. Makes sense. Will be a wee change, and Celtic games are always a bit different anyway. And glad it's being communicated. Just wish the North Stand fans could be a bit less blatant in their self interest.

Edited by allyo

Virtually unanimous acceptance and support for this on the first three pages confuses me. So I' expected to give up the position that's been mine, standing and seated, for 30 years. And that's okay. Yet giving up the sacred North Stand (an away stand until 3 years ago) was absolutely unacceptable. Hypocracy is unbelievable.

Anyway, for the sake of the Jags I have no problem with it. Makes sense. Will be a wee change, and Celtic games are always a bit different anyway. And glad it's being communicated. Just wish the North Stand fans could be a bit less blatant in their self interest.

Complain about people accepting this decision, followed by... acceptance of the decision?

Aye alright mate.

• Like 1

I fear we've done a Killie here and sold our soul to make a profit at the expense of our dropping fan base.

There should have been consultation prior to this announcement, other ideas flung on the table.

Say we have top 6 and the chance for Rangers or Celtic to win the league at Firhill, will we give them the NS as well as it makes financial sense?

I fully understand we need to grow the finances, but where's the other ideas, the out of the box thinking, how do we utilize the ground 7 days a week? How do we make TAG engaging, a must have? Why not sell subscriptions to foreign based fans to help the income?

We seem to have taken the simplest option for a quick cash pot, which if we play Celtic on a cold Monday night with the game on the Telly may not generate the £250k mentioned add to that the damage done to the JHS season ticket sales.

This would be more "comfortable" if this was one small part of a larger communicated plan

Say we have top 6 and the chance for Rangers or Celtic to win the league at Firhill, will we give them the NS as well as it makes financial sense?

Or, more likely, what if we finish bottom half and have the chance to relegate Sevco?

I agree we need to get into a position financially where we do not need to do this, then I would argue against it. But those older fans like myself who can remember occasions when the club nearly went down the swanee due to mismanagement of the club, will realise more than most how important it is not to let debt grow in the club.

This problem is one that can't be laid at the feet of the management. They delivered a title-winning team which stayed up in the top league. They've kept that team in the top league again. Yet numbers of fans going to home games has dropped to the extent we lost (for us) significant money. There's one simple solution (of course not simple to fulfil but obvious) and that is get more Thistle fans in at the gate. The more Jags fans turn up the less reason there is to give extra seating away to the opposition.

Easier said than done but until that happens we will either have to do what the board have suggested or else go with a slightly weakened team and have a stronger risk of relegation.

Edited by Mr Bunny
  • Like 2

Fair play to the Jackie Husband stand fans for being less precious than us North Stand boys.

It makes financial sense, and there's football sense in having us behind one of the goals.

Hopefully we at least manage to lay a glove on Celtic this season. Our last two games against them have been dreadful.

Every time I read this I feel sick, looking across and seeing our JHS full of green and white - anyone remember the last time they occupied the JHS...? Ripping out seats and throwing them on the park...

I don't know how anyone can feel at ease with this, some people have mentioned they have been watchin. Thistle from there for 30 years, JHS and shed previously, but wait a minute hasn't that end of the stadium been 'ours' for over 100 years, are we happy to sell our history for a short term fix?

Can't say that I can find much to disagree with in Maxie's statement. The only people who bare responsibility for this are the stay away Thistle fans. Though I can understand why many like myself don't particularly find the promise of a game against Celtic @ Firhill particularly edifying as it seems to bring out the worst in a section of our support and I.d imagine any game against Sevco would as well. For that reason as much as a myriad of others I really hope they don't get promoted, but...

Virtually unanimous acceptance and support for this on the first three pages confuses me. So I'm expected to give up the position that's been mine, standing and seated, for 30 years. And that's okay. Yet giving up the sacred North Stand (an away stand until 3 years ago) was absolutely unacceptable. Hypocracy is unbelievable.

The fans in the north stand were being told to give up the stand altogether, so not the same thing at all, you can put away your wee hypocrisy hysteria rant.

You are being asked to give up a seat for potentially one game next year, just as those in the north stand have done for the last two seasons.

All those 'giving up their season ticket' zoomers need to have a wee look at themselves. It's not ideal but it's not the end of the world. A bit of perspective ffs!

Edited by kji7
  • Like 1

Accepting of this on proviso that either a Non OF season ticket is available & priority given to ST ticket holders re choice of searts for OF games.

The split makes it difficult to pre select seats in main/north stands when buying ST as could be 3 or 4 games v OF assuming Sevco come up.

Ill be pretty peed off if "allocated" to the North Stand - cant stand being 100 odd yards away from the action - that's bad enough at away games!

Slight tangent but I'd love to see enclosure available as a "safe standing" area - that way our most vocal support could be free to position themselves at either end of ground depending on where we are shooting.

You do realise that the North Stand stayed Red n Yellow, thanks to the fantastic support of the people who use the JHS. The very same people who are accepting this temporary move.

It's disappointing that in your objection, you want to try and create an us and them issue, between our own fans.

• Like 3

Aye okay, I may have been a wee bit confrontational in my comments when I got home on Friday night.

By the way, I was hugely in favour of maintaining the NS as a Thistle stand. I get what it means, what it adds to Firhill, and I wrote to the club at the time because changing that was a daft proposal.

But I do still maintain that the criticism of the club when they first decided to switch the NS for Celtic games only was over the top, and the difference in attitude being shown here is notable. Acknowledge that it is being better communicated this time which I suppose makes a difference.

Anyway, that was all a long time ago. My main point is that I'm behind the club in this. If it brings in half the money that they're saying then it makes sense to me.

In my mind the North Stand issue of this and the first season back is/was rather different to this proposed JHS move next season. At least moving us out the JHS makes serious commercial sense and it looks to me, unlike the NS instance, free of any other agenda.

The reason it's been forced on us is simple enough. Other fans have been staying away. If you want to blame the Board for so many being absent that's a different matter but I sense most of us will reckon reduction in home crowds is something a tad more complex. And if our lower gates is a complex issue then there's little likelihood of a quick fix. Moving us out the JHS for two or even three matches (hopefully not) appears to be about the only quick fix on the go. In no way do I blame those who have stayed away this season. That's completely their choice and should be respected. It is tho' the primary cause we'll be moved.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Can see the business sense in this (I doubt though that Celtic will fill the JHS). I'd obviously rather not have to move but it makes financial sense, just hope fans aren't pissed off my being given shite seats that they wouldn't choose to sit in in either the NS or Main Stand. Fans should be accommodated as much as possible, even if it requires a little more admin work.

What about a slight drop in prices for Thistle fans for this game? TBH, I don't know how this would be policed but it might take care of the restricted view issue. I'm guessing that all existing NS season ticket holders will stay in their favourite end so the real inconvenience is for the season and non-season ticket holders who are relocated. Even a free food voucher (say the price of a pie) would be compensation of sorts.

Don't know if I'm missing the point here but the most important thing in any business is looking after your customers. With the decision to relocate the JH stand to basically anywhere North Stand or the Main Stand ( don't think they really care) to accommodate Celtic supporters is actually giving the Board carte Blanche to do it whenever they want. What's going to happen if Sevco come back up ? , same thing I imagine . I''ve bought a season ticket for the last 30 years , and I choose to sit in the JH stand , don't think I'm the only season ticket holder who won't be renewing their season ticket because of this .

The extra revenue mentioned is absolute nonsense which suggests an extra income of £250k, which equates to an extra 10000 Celtic fans @£25.00 per head over 2 games !! . The North Stand quite rightly made a furore over getting moved last season , not sure why the JH stand is strangely passive and apathetic about this and as usual no consultation with supporters groups to discuss the implications of this decision .

The north stand one was obviously different last season in that we were being asked to move for every game. And before that because we were not told the real reasons for the move for Celtic games, with the board instead pretending that it was out of their hands. At least in this instance, they've made a decision, communicated it and detailed the actual reasons for the decision being made (even if they are optimistic with the figures). I agree there probably should have been more consultation with the fans but I don't see how you can really disagree with the reasoning behind this decision. Unfortunately, for clubs like us, we have to take as much money from the bigot brothers as we can if we want to be successful.

We have spent a significant amount of money to get the old main stand through fire regulations.Why can't Celtic fans be housed there ? They could be searched before entering the ground which we have been when visiting grounds in the passed,and any fans who still set off flares in the stand should be hammered as well as the offending club and this would soon stop this nonsense.We could also give them the North stand which should accommodate their travelling support and have the JHS full of Jags fans.