Kris Doolan

Barney Rubble

He is not a 'hold it up' player like Taylor who was brilliant at this. He's not strong enough and he is far too nice. Taylor was a brooding, moody individual and put it right up central defenders.

But Dools is brilliant in the box. Not just a penalty box player like mccoist. His movement is wonderful but if we could only deliver quality balls to him he would be so much more effective. I agree that he is our best forward so we should play to his strength. Would like to see a 2nd striker but if not, midfielders should be busting a gut to get into the box. Or get wing backs to the byeline(3 at the back?).

He is not a 'hold it up' player like Taylor who was brilliant at this. He's not strong enough and he is far too nice. Taylor was a brooding, moody individual and put it right up central defenders.

But Dools is brilliant in the box. Not just a penalty box player like mccoist. His movement is wonderful but if we could only deliver quality balls to him he would be so much more effective. I agree that he is our best forward so we should play to his strength. Would like to see a 2nd striker but if not, midfielders should be busting a gut to get into the box. Or get wing backs to the byeline(3 at the back?).

I 'd agree with a lot of that. Dools is only as good as the service that comes to him and the service has been pretty poor this season.Taylor looked a lot more effective for us because he was more physical and ran from deeper positions.

This Doolan love in happens every so often when everyone decides that the alternative isn't any good. Then he gets a run in the team, scores a few goals, has a wee lean spell and everyone's going on about him being too lightweight or unable to lead the line.

My view is that he's been a very good player for us, no world beater, our level, which is why he's still here. But generally at his best when we have a viable alternative and not being asked to carry the burden himself. Which is why I think Archie has regularly looked to other options and why i doubt that Doolan really has to many complaints about his "treatment".

• Like 3

Agree with most of what's been said but at this moment Doolan is our best chance of scoring goals and winning games which Archie seems to forget sometimes. We seem to have an unbalanced squad at the moment with lots of midfield players , none of which could chip in 5 - 10 goals a season and so you're left with 1 forward to carry the burden.

I think it's a testimony to his ability that he's managed to score as many goals as he has with the cautious tactics we've deployed at times.

• 3 weeks later...

He's a cracking pro, Doolan. He's also not short of talent. He has an excellent first touch, makes intelligent runs and is a more than decent finisher. I just wish the team played to his strengths more often. He's not a player you can hoof the ball towards from the half-way line, but play it in behind the defence or to his feet in the box and he'll score goals.

This is simply a genuine question, and I suspect there will be some highly paid player that at least matches and possibly exceeds Dools, but here goes. Can anyone name a current forward player in Scotland with a better first touch? Putting that aside Doolan's all round performance today in the most difficult circumstances was a total masterclass..

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

we've seen it many times before, and today was another day which highlighted what a magnificent player, and indisputable jags legend, kris doolan is ..... never hides, never let's his head drop, his attitude, energy, professionalism and countless other attributes and talents have been discussed and praised numerous times before, and he should be awarded the freedom of firhill.

One of my all time favourite Jags.

He epitomises everything you want in a Jags player.

Hope he stays until he hangs up his boots.

disappointed archie hasn't yet acted on my suggestion of over three months ago

let's not muck about.

six years playing contract, then another two or three as player-coach, then he'll be ready to be manager til he decides to retire from football.

his vision, first touch, awareness, is a joy to behold and watch on days like saturday there.

singing he's no a killie, he's a jag. thank phuk.

• Like 1