Any Juicy Rumours? Who Are We Hoping To Bring In?

jagfaelivi

Tragic if lawless goes to utd. One of our best performers this season and we need players like him to create things. Wouldn't do the deal even it it meant erskine coming at end of month back down the road. If utd really want him for next season they should sign him on pre contract or shut up.

Got to say though I really do hate this pre contract nonsense - a player signing a pre contract with another clubs relegation or promotion rivals- doesn't do the game any good. It should be banned.

6 and a half years too late

Are you referring to McCall's "Earmarked Five". Five players the bold Ian was going to strive to sign to help get us promoted. Dobbie and four others were mentioned by McCall at some "Meet the Board/Manager" do or a Quiz Night whatever. We all thought at the time Dobbie would be out of our league literally. Been trying to mind the other four mentioned. The great Pat Clarke and Dave MacKay were two I'm 99% sure. Not quite as certain Richie Hart was one but can't mind the 5th man at all. Anyone help? It's annoying me no end.

Are you referring to McCall's "Earmarked Five". Five players the bold Ian was going to strive to sign to help get us promoted. Dobbie and four others were mentioned by McCall at some "Meet the Board/Manager" do or a Quiz Night whatever. We all thought at the time Dobbie would be out of our league literally. Been trying to mind the other four mentioned. The great Pat Clarke and Dave MacKay were two I'm 99% sure. Not quite as certain Richie Hart was one but can't mind the 5th man at all. Anyone help? It's annoying me no end.

Bob Harris the former QoS left back seems to ring a bell.

Suspect United would only want Lawless in exchange for letting Erskine leave this month. They are leaving it tight to get a replacement in should they let him go, and going by reports and his absence from the squad last weekend, Paatelainen doesn't appear too enthralled with Erskine's decision to sign a PCA. Getting a player like Lawless in exchange would be good business from United's perspective.

I suppose it all depends on whether Lawless intends to re-sign (which I was led to believe he does); if so then there's no deal. But if he's going to leave at the end of the year, Archie needs to decide if he'd rather have one or the other in the squad for the rest of this season which is a tough decision as both can be match-winners on their day.

I like Lawless, but has he actually been a match-winner on even a single occasion this season? Has he scored? If it came down to a straight choice between him and Erskine, I'd rather have the Bridge.

• Like 1

I don't think Lawless will be too concerned about dropping down a level next season if he is on more money. As the Sevco situation has shown us, players are more than happy to drop down 2 or 3 divisions for the sake of a few hundred quid a week. Come to think of it, there were many of examples of this at Gretna and Livingston before that as well.

If United can offer him more money than us, he will sign a PCA. If that happens then a swap deal for Erskine before the end of this month is highly likely.

If that's the scenario then Mixu is actually playing it well from his point of view.

Tragic if lawless goes to utd. One of our best performers this season and we need players like him to create things. Wouldn't do the deal even it it meant erskine coming at end of month back down the road. If utd really want him for next season they should sign him on pre contract or shut up.

Got to say though I really do hate this pre contract nonsense - a player signing a pre contract with another clubs relegation or promotion rivals- doesn't do the game any good. It should be banned.

100% agreement.

I seem to recall Sean O'Connor being regularly mentioned at those kind of events.

I like Lawless, but has he actually been a match-winner on even a single occasion this season? Has he scored?

He scored one of our best goals this season - the match-winning one vs. St. Johnstone.

That is, however, his only goal. It's a poor return and I don't think he's been that great this season. Would still like him for 2016/17 though.

Our scorers this season for all competitions:

Doolan - 7

Amoo - 4

Muirhead - 2

Bannigan - 1

Dumbuya - 1

Fraser - 1

Lawless - 1

Lindsay - 1

Miller - 1

Pogba - 1

Seaborne - 1

Stevenson - 1

It's a problem.

I think Lawless is probably suffering from being essentially the only creative outlet upfront for us at the moment. I appreciate the job the full backs do in support but in terms of advanced positions.

When he has had good spells in the past they have coincided with either Erskine or Higgy in the team at the same time which obviously made us less 1 dimensional in our attacking. Even playing with Taylor to a certain extent they way he occupied and bullied defences just allowed Lawless that bit extra room to play.

Would like him and Erskine in the same team next year again please.

• Like 1

I like Lawless, but has he actually been a match-winner on even a single occasion this season? Has he scored? If it came down to a straight choice between him and Erskine, I'd rather have the Bridge.

He scored possibly our goal of the season up at Perth and that won the game. Edited by Blues Brother

I'd take Erskine over Lawless most times, but I wouldn't be entertaining talk of a swap at this stage in the season. We seem to have a settled squad and are trying to build, and this feels like it would send out the wrong message.

Not the biggest fan of Lawless in a wide position. Isn't mobile or strong enough to cover the full back. I think he's a different player when played in the middle, but we don't seem to be able to accommodate that at the moment.

• Like 1

He scored one of our best goals this season - the match-winning one vs. St. Johnstone. That is, however, his only goal. It's a poor return and I don't think he's been that great this season. Would still like him for 2016/17 though. Our scorers this season for all competitions: Doolan - 7 Amoo - 4 Muirhead - 2 Bannigan - 1 Dumbuya - 1 Fraser - 1 Lawless - 1 Lindsay - 1 Miller - 1 Pogba - 1 Seaborne - 1 Stevenson - 1

It's a problem.

It's one that Archie recognises and is looking to add a couple of attacking players to the team. I think though we won't see any signings now until the window is almost closed. Hopefully we get at least one of the players the manager is looking at.

One thing this season is that we are both pretty solid at the back and have good cover (with the current back 4 plus Miller, Lindsay and Elliot as cover) and midfield is OK provided Fraser is fit soon. It is the attacking part of the team that needs boosting and although it's always a bit easier to find good defenders than good forwards it must help in that we have one clear area which we need to strengthen.

Don't know if it's just a lazy link from the Scottish Daily Mail as I remember reading about us scouting these guys back in October/November time. But today's article says:

"Thistle have been linked with English National League frontmen Simeon Akinola of Bromley* and Braintree's* Moses Emmanuel. There are also suggestions that boss Alan Archibald is trying to bring in Sunderland striker Mikael Mandron on loan."

* They've got these the wrong way round.

Don't know if it's just a lazy link from the Scottish Daily Mail as I remember reading about us scouting these guys back in October/November time. But today's article says:

"Thistle have been linked with English National League frontmen Simeon Akinola of Bromley* and Braintree's* Moses Emmanuel. There are also suggestions that boss Alan Archibald is trying to bring in Sunderland striker Mikael Mandron on loan."

* They've got these the wrong way round.

I would opt for lazy journalism as Mandron decided to go on loan to Hartlepool a few weks ago

Edited by Dick Dastardly