Stevenson Away

Magyar55

Ok, so I live in Edinburgh and was at the Hearts away game early in the season with my Jambo neighbour and our daughters, this thread refers to. First thing is that the Thistle performance that day was honkin, and Hearts were flying.

Stevo was subbed, and as he left, he waved to the three Hearts stands, and at best small gesture to the sizeable jags support.

When I met up with my neighbour after the game. he commented on Stevo's actions right away, so it was obvious to him. He put it down to Stevo bottling it on the day, and wishing he was still at Hearts.

When Hearts booted him after they were relegated, he looked gutted. When he signed for us I was delighted - skilful player, and led the young -15 points Hearts team really well. Thought he could make a real difference to us.

If you remember, he was played up front alone for a number of games when he first joined. He wasn't suites for the role but he stuck at it. He got injured towards the end of last season, and to my mind he hasn't recovered. The fact that he couldn't be get in a team that wasn't creating much tells us he wasn't fit / playing well, or had fallen out with Archie. I suspect the former - no evidence for the latter. Others may have have a different insight

So, disappointing it has not worked out - he could have been terrific for us. But I think he is a player on the wane unfortunately.

On a cheerier note, well enjoying this run, and as a 43 year old, honestly believe the last three years have been the most consistently successful/enjoyable in my supporting lifetime.

Edited by Jaggy Bunnet

He's only away for 28 days at the mo and if anyone wants him in January they will need to pay us a fee, I think he'll come back and play an important role for us.

Archie said we had received a few offers for him, if he wanted rid of him that badly them why not just punt him permanently(aslong as received a semi decent offer).I think he's done a sort of 'Erskine', ie send him

back to a club he loves to get a bit of form and hopefully he comes back fitter and more confident . If we don't get this target in Archie was talking about, plus Muirhead away,Edwards away and Osman suspended For Dundee I wouldn't be surprised if Stevo was recalled.

He's only away for 28 days at the mo and if anyone wants him in January they will need to pay us a fee, I think he'll come back and play an important role for us.

Archie said we had received a few offers for him, if he wanted rid of him that badly them why not just punt him permanently(aslong as received a semi decent offer).I think he's done a sort of 'Erskine', ie send him

back to a club he loves to get a bit of form and hopefully he comes back fitter and more confident . If we don't get this target in Archie was talking about, plus Muirhead away,Edwards away and Osman suspended For Dundee I wouldn't be surprised if Stevo was recalled.

Stevenson has to prove he's too good for Ayr United before he can move on elsewhere. So far by accounts he's not yet achieved that status. Indeed he's evidently some way to go to prove he's fit enough to play at the top end of Division One (almost certainly the reason behind his lacklustre displays so far).

I'd be surprised if he kicks another ball for us. Even if he comes back Archie probably wouldn't risk Ryan getting injured while the transfer window is still open.

I can't see him returning. Also can't see any chance of us getting a fee. Most likely scenario is we pay him a reduced amount to get him off the wage bill

The video was posted on here at the time...Stevenson gave a token wave to Thistle fans when he was substituted and enthusiastically applauded Hearts supporters in the three other sides of the stadium.

I've never been Ryan Stevenson's biggest fan, but in his defence, I could understand his actions when leaving the field at Tynecastle.

The Jags struggled that day against a fired up Hearts side and a number of the Thistle 'support' strangely reckon that personal abuse

of players will somehow motivate them to turn things around.

Ryan knocked the ball out of play when a Hearts player went down with what initially looked like a head injury.

Cue a prolonged volley of vitriol directed at Ryan, from one loudmouth in particular close to me. Ryan clearly heard this, as he turned,

looked at his accuser, and shrugged in disbelief at the abuse he was getting from his own support.

We can be such hypocrites. We'll applaud an opposition player who stops play for an injury to one of our players and we'll applaud

ex Jag favourites who return to play against us.

I left the ground that day bitterly disappointed with our display but ashamed at some of our so called support.

• Like 2

Never ,ever understand "supporters" who a verbally abuse Thistle players.Do that and you are supporting the opposition.Why do you think managers love it when opposition supporters turn on their team.

Don't give me that "we've paid our money" crap - look up the definition of "supporter".

No you're right.

We should applaud any player who wears the strip, even if they clearly don't give a flying f**k, don't try during games, throw their arms up in the air when they lose the ball instead of chasing after it, and ignore/disrespect the paying public.

Big Col is absolutely right, the reasons Stevenson is getting a hard time is because of the laziness he shows in games, supplemented by a lack of enthusiasm and fight . Supporters aren't stupid , most of the supporters know he has ability but lack of application and fitness has hindered that , Archie has called time on this nonsense but pretty sure he'll be back at Firhill after his loan period trying to get a payoff or running down his contract.

Just back from Parkhead where every player gave 100% and I'm disappointed we didn't even get a point , would much rather talk about players that give their all for PTFC rather than the enigma that is Ryan Stevenson.

• Like 1

Thought I'd have a browse through the Ayr match thread on P&B, see if Ayr's slide was in spite of the prodigal son. Few quotes

Stevenson can get to f**k, hopeless.

I'd love to know the dynamic between stevo and McCall.

I've only seem him once (first game back) but by all accounts he's only got worse. He didn't look fit to me.

Does he know he's letting us down? Is he trying hard to get back to an acceptable standard? Does McCall regret signing him?

In short, what's going on with stevo?

Not really sure what the Stevenson situation is, he certainly doesn't look like a player coming down two leagues. If anything he doesn't yet look good enough for League Two! In fairness he was a wee bit more involved in the last twenty mins and we will need to give him time to gel with the squad and actually get fit.

Possibly being a bit harsh on Stevo, just frustrating, he should be keeping things simple and strolling games at this level. I don't understand how someone training full time can be so badly off the pace.

and I also noted

Paul Cairney ran the game

There's also the standard wages discussion where people pretend to know what someone is being paid. According to on Ayr fan he's on £1500 p/w which they are paying, and another he's on £1200 a week of which we're paying £200.

Due to them being out the cup he's only got one more game before his loan expires.

No you're right.

We should applaud any player who wears the strip, even if they clearly don't give a flying f**k, don't try during games, throw their arms up in the air when they lose the ball instead of chasing after it, and ignore/disrespect the paying public.

It's clear that Archie has installed a work ethic within this side and the last two games have been great examples. Afraid guys like Stevo just do not fit into that.

• Like 1

It took him a while to get going last season, but from the ICT game up there I thought he had a half decent season. I think the telling point last season, re his fitness, was the amount of times he was the first to be subbed. Archie has this side working its backside off and that is the likely reason why he has been out of the picture and why Pogba is only getting on for the last 15 minutes or so!