Dundee Utd On Saturday

Vinnyjag

It's disappointing when he look forward to the game thinking we need to take advantage of the players we now have back then not use them well at all. Watching videos of that Nesbitt scoring for fun, then settle for seeing his name on the list of unused subs. I think the majority of folk agreed before hand that Welsh deserved to be dropped. I wonder if Archie is just trying to get his tuppenence worth oot him for the last 2 year. If he had been a new signing in the summer I doubt we would still be allowing him the same chance. He has been consistently poor

Aidan Nesbitt was not included due to the fact he cant play left back or cover for Lindsay..

Poor stuff from the manager in his interview.

If ever there was a time to say 'I got it wrong' today was the day.

Delusional if he thought we would win the game with that line up and tactics.

Totally agree.

Really disappointed, not worth the trip

Not like a cup tie at all,nobody seemed to know their role- especially when our corner late on, Fraser was wandering about near centre circle,then realised he had to take the corner.

Welsh should have been hooked earlier, and Pogba and Doolan should have been given a chance together.

Not exactly relishing Tynecastle visit next!! Could be messy.

Edited by JAGSMAN1968

Dunfermiline, Airdrie, St Johnstone, Caley,Kilmarnock, Falkirk, Ayr,Dundee, Motherwell,QoS, Ross County, ****** Gretna, have all made at least 1 cup final in the last 20 years (even won it)

When the f@** is it our turn

It would be an understatement to say Dundee's, Gretna's and Livingston's cup final appearances were just tainted. Regardless there's a fair amount of small clubs who've all had great cup runs and we've done hee haw.

Dreadful performance today and frankly we didn't deserve anything for the negativity in our team selection-frankly no one could believe the side we put out.

Imhonestly can't defen Archiems team selection 5 at the back against the bottoms side in the SPl-nothing short of a disgrace.

Like,some others,,I,got the impression that some players were uncomfortable with this particular set-up. To make things worse United weren't any better than in our previous encounters.

Fair play the young lad took his goal well, albeit aided and abetted by our defense.

Nothing more to say which basically sums today up!

Went to the game thinking he would play Nesbitt, was really looking forward to seeing him. After the game driving home I thought we will probably never see him as after the next 2 games against Hearts and Aberdeen we could be back in the relegation struggle and if he wouldn't play him against the bottom club in a cup game then he isn't going to play him in a relegation battle. This brings me to the point of why did we sign him. If he is only going to be an unused sub then he may as well be a Celtic unused sub.

Watching that load of rubbish was bad enough but then reading Archibalds reaction later did nothing for my mood. Can he not just say he got his tactics and team selection wrong, put his hands up and be honest.

A message for Mr Archibald, if you are going to play that formation again then please let us know in advance as I for one won't be there to suffer that.

2 things

I want to be entertained

I want thistle to win something else in my lifetime.

If I had heard the team selection before I left home I wouldn't have bothered going and watched the rugby instead. There should be a rule that the the team selection should be announced 12 hours pre ko.

Archie should apologise to every jags fan who wAsted time and money watching that garbage.

The well game was similar but we won fortuitously so it was ok. But the football stinks.

Delia said he gave us Nesbit because he liked the way we play. He should recall his man right away as he ain't going to feature. His new team mates didn't even give him the ball at the half time kick about. Very concerning.

No wonder the crowds are pathetic. We were terrified of a crap team.

I would rather support Linlithgow rose.

• Like 1

the weather in the last couple of games were liable to a pitch inspection. this gave me an idea, if we are going into game feart to attack and set out to defend against the bottom club, the night before a game we should have a team inspection and save us from wasting money and time travelling. I don't believe for a minute when the Arabs come down to Maryhill they will be coming to play defensive. every game this season has been the same, you just cant see where a goal is coming from and its as great a surprise to us as it is for the opposing team......I totally agree if I were Nesbit I would be thinking WTFs this, I want to go home...

On the TAG interviews Osman says we've played with that shape before and we've done well with it, then Lindsay says in his interview 'we've never played that shape before' :frantic:

We have played that system before in one game this season, with the only change being that Scully was in goals. We set up exactly that way when we played Dumbarton in the pre season friendly. Frans, Seaborne and Lindsay across the back with Miller and Booth slightly advanced.

Yesterday was so disappointing as I really thought we could go far in the cup this season and I braved pneumonia to be at the game.

Walking to the ground, the team news came through and I thought - Archie will either be hailed as tactical genius or a moron tonight. Sadly it's the latter.

It's one game. It's one very bad decision. It's hellish disappointing but, my Dundee United supporting mate actually said he thought we did the right thing by matching up. I don't agree however it shows how people see Things in different ways.

For me much of what has been said above is correct, I don't think we have some of the right players to play that system. Lawless went missing. Welsh had a poor game. Doolan got no service.

I expect Archie to learn from this, and to most of us being 10th or above would have been a success of a season (regardless of the cups), and I am stil confident Archie can guide us to that position.

Edited by jaf

Very few of the posters here were at the game, we didn't deserve to lose, it's cup luck, they got one chance and took it, lawless bundled off the ball,too many high balls punted forward, and let's not forget bumbling Collum and his gang of incompetents, so,not all Archie's or the teams fault

You are right, we did not deserve to lose the game, but it doesn't excuse the totally negative tactics from the manager in a very winnable cup game against the worst team in the league and a team the we have beaten twice in the league already.

Very few of the posters here were at the game, we didn't deserve to lose, it's cup luck, they got one chance and took it, lawless bundled off the ball,too many high balls punted forward, and let's not forget bumbling Collum and his gang of incompetents, so,not all Archie's or the teams fault

Ok I didn't realise it was Collum that picked the team. I understand now.

Sounds poor. I wasn't there. Maybe I'd defend Archie a bit, just in the context of this thread, in noting that for our last few seasons we've struggled through the winter and seen other teams grab the points in poor games with poor football. We really couldn't afford that this season and we've come through in the league pretty unscathed.

I really hope the football improves and the goals come back. and I suspect on better pitches it will. Yesterday aside, we still generally line up with reasonably attacking formations.

Sounds poor. I wasn't there. Maybe I'd defend Archie a bit, just in the context of this thread, in noting that for our last few seasons we've struggled through the winter and seen other teams grab the points in poor games with poor football. We really couldn't afford that this season and we've come through in the league pretty unscathed.

I really hope the football improves and the goals come back. and I suspect on better pitches it will. Yesterday aside, we still generally line up with reasonably attacking formations.

We've also badly missed the creative linking play of an Erskine or Higgy type player this year, after all on our budget they're not easy to find. We've adressed that for next season though, with the most Erskine type player possible.

It was a poor selection, but there has been some overreaction, I think. We currently have the third best form over the last 10 league games, and only a point or 2 behind Celtic. Archie has been getting most things right recently. So I'll put yesterday down as an aberration for now.

• Like 1

It's no over reaction Duke. Obvious that both clubs would not want a replay, so why go out with one of the most negative Jags sides that I have ever seen. Jeez, we attacked more, at places like Parkhead and Pittodrie recently. I am still at a loss to explain that team and performance yesterday!

Some folk can paper over the cracks if they want to. But let's get real.

Goals win football games and right now, we're badly lacking.

Toothless yesterday, toothless in Inverness, a fortunate deflected goal against Motherwell. And let's not forget the first 9 games of the season.

Lowest scorers in the league. Very few opportunities created during games.

It's not good enough. Injury to a couple of key players (Lawless and Doolan for example) and we're gubbed.

Wasn't at the game and didn't learn much from the TV "highlights". Last year, Archie made the same mistake against Inverness at Firhill in the Cup. He started with no strikers, lost the game and later apologised for his tem selection. He does seem prone to odd selections, and I agree with other posters that we should have been setting the agenda for this game, not allowing DU to do it.

Not scapegoating by any means but there was many a time, in the first half particularly, we needed three centrebacks. Frans was having all sorts of difficulties (highlighted on TV edited highlights but more than just that one episode). That in no way is justification for our tactics yesterday but if we'd held out it would've been a fortunate by product. An even more exposed Frans might have resulted in the game being over before the interval.

Playing three at the back in itself is far from negative. And correct me if I'm wrong but we last reached the semi-finals playing that way. The negativity emanates from the midfield not pushing on and/or the defence failing to adopt a high line. I also thought that in the absence of Dumbaya that Elliott would've been a better shout than Miller.

I remember McCall often played a trio of John Robertson, Maxie and Archie (I think that was the three) and the biggest flaw being that not one would cross the halfway line in open play. Yesterday reminded me of that. In contrast when Lambie played a back three we had Shaggy as one of the trio

We are playing the worst team in the league, a team we have beaten twice this season, in a game where I would imagine the last thing both managers would want is a replay, we created nothing, their dodgy keeper hardly had a cross to deal with or shot to save, we took off our only striker and replaced him with a guy that he had teamed up with to great effect 4 days earlier. Sorry M'Lady but I don't think anyone that endured that yesterday would be interested in similar team selections from years gone by. I have defended Archie to the hilt on here over the last 3 years, but yesterday was unacceptable. As I said before, it might have been acceptable had it been a league game, but jeez we had more attacking team selections at Pittodrie and Parkhead a few weeks ago

• Like 1

We are playing the worst team in the league, a team we have beaten twice this season, in a game where I would imagine the last thing both managers would want is a replay, we created nothing, their dodgy keeper hardly had a cross to deal with or shot to save, we took off our only striker and replaced him with a guy that he had teamed up with to great effect 4 days earlier. Sorry M'Lady but I don't think anyone that endured that yesterday would be interested in similar team selections from years gone by. I have defended Archie to the hilt on here over the last 3 years, but yesterday was unacceptable. As I said before, it might have been acceptable had it been a league game, but jeez we had more attacking team selections at Pittodrie and Parkhead a few weeks ago

If it's "unacceptable" then what? We get rid of him? Personally, I think we should, by all means criticise the selection as a bad one and be pissed off, but put it down for now as a aberration and look to the next game.

If it's "unacceptable" then what? We get rid of him? Personally, I think we should, by all means criticise the selection as a bad one and be pissed off, but put it down for now as a aberration and look to the next game.

Get rid of him? Yer having a laugh, but he is not beyond criticism on a game to game basis. I got handed a team sheet at the game yesterday at 2.10 and I was staggered at what I saw. It was a team selection that was set up not to lose at a time where we need another game like a hole in the head. It's over now and we head on to Tynecastle!