Sellik Game 12/03/16

Lindau

at the game today picked this up from "somebody in the know"

banzo away to english championship side, lawless also away donno where

osman appears to be "happy" here so who knows?

thought we did well first half sucker goal just before halftime

celtic far more committed to win 50/50 balls

cerny defo best keeper in this league

fraser getting better with more game time under his belt banzo replacement?

lawless quality player we will miss him

corner kicks and free kicks schoolboy stuff

however we are certainly getting better there is quality in this team

steady improvement year on year

onwards and upwards :thumbsup2:

I heard it was 95% certain that Lawless and Osman will both stay

Fraser was excellent as was Cerny.

I also thought Ryan Edwards did not give the Celtic players rest for a minute when he came on and would have liekd to have seen him brought on earlier. For all he is quite small he was challenging for every header and winning a few, while by comparison the far bigger Pogba barely won a header.

Definetly think Ryan has a lot of potential and would like to see him get more of a run out.

I thought he would have seen Antonio German get a game, don't know why he hasnt been given much of a chance

Fraser was excellent as was Cerny.

I also thought Ryan Edwards did not give the Celtic players rest for a minute when he came on and would have liekd to have seen him brought on earlier. For all he is quite small he was challenging for every header and winning a few, while by comparison the far bigger Pogba barely won a header.

Definetly think Ryan has a lot of potential and would like to see him get more of a run out.

I thought he would have seen Antonio German get a game, don't know why he hasnt been given much of a chance

Got to agree about Ryan Edwards , time to give him a start for a few games , he seems to have an energy about him and probably it's worth giving him the Banzo role as an attacking midfielder and then it's a toss of the coin between Fraser/ Welsh for the remaining midfield place .

Archie has got to let Doolan get back in the groove as the main striker as he is our main hope in scoring goals.

Pogba seems to be polarising opinions in the forum but in my opinion the negatives far outweigh the positives, no goal scoring threat , runs in straight lines all the time , slow, sorry to say it but a poor mans Christian Nade comes to mind.

Hope Archie makes the right decisions for the next 4 games as they are absolutely huge for the club.

Notes from Podgorica, where the game was shown live on the local sports channel:

Positives:

Spiriited team performance - way better than last time at Frhill.

A goal against Celtic.

A penalty.

A penalty against Celtic.

GazFras is going to be some player for us when he gets properly match fit.

Tomas Cerny - need I say more?

Negatives:

We had so many free-kicks and a couple of corners today and the delivery let us down every time. Apart from the first corner we did not get a first head on any of them. Not good enough.

I may get blown out of the water for this one (we don't get half-time analysis out here), but here goes: Liam could have done better for the first goal. Griffiths takes his Doolanesque heavy first touch to create the space, but Liam leads with his left foot for a block that frankly looked to me like a better option would have been leading with his right.

No guarantees that he would have prevented the goal, but it did not seem to me to be a natural position for a defender.

Anyway, good effort, now let's go and win a few games!!

Half time analysis or not I rarely pay much attention to folk's armchair views. I make an exception tho' for above, which is much as I saw it.

I thought tho' the weaker of the two central defenders was Seaborne. It's perhaps worth reminding folk that it's a 20 year old virtual novice that has been asked to play on his weaker side. In most cases you'd expect the more senior player to move across. The additional fact that Liam's never going to be the most mobile of defenders must make his move over to the right side all the more difficult. That said I'm a big fan of Seaborne so I'm happy enough with the status quo. Just feel folk should give Liam a bit more latitude. He has so much potential.

Outside of the top 3 we have the least number of goals conceded and people want to change the defence? Seaborne is not without his faults but is a very good defender at this level.

Not in the past few games. Poor positioning, poor tackling, poor distribution. Just poor. We're at a crucial point of the season and need everyone playing well. He isn't. Why risk it?

• Like 1

I watched today as Sean lost the ball in the Celtic half from which they attacked in numbers and almost scored.

He should have bust a gut trying to win that ball back or track one of the other attacking forwards, but naw, our Sean trots back

like it's a some kind of bounce game. It just summed up his attitude for me.

I just don't go along with the fantastic work rate that some say they see in him.

And as for free kicks? Could he maybe, just now and then, curl the ball in to the box with a bit of venom which might just worry the opposition defence.

It makes you wonder what set pieces our guys work on during the week.

I am probably one of the few on here that likes Sean Welsh, but he was poor today. Edwards deserves a shot in the first team, but to be honest I can't see Archie changing too much in the coming weeks. Today would have been the ideal opportunity to give German a run out, either from the start or certainly from around the hour mark onwards. Got a feeling, like Moncur, that we won't see him until we are safe, then he will be freed.

• Like 1

The Welsh baiting is OTT. He does the unglamorous, dirty work (tracking back, covering positions) really well and has been decent in the last 2 games. Archie is no mug, trust him. Also Fraser will be like a new signing in the run in as he gets game time.

You are right he does the hard bit, wins the balls, makes space for himself, then more often that not currently he loses posetion - bad pass / too long on the ball...

yesterday there was a prime example when he tracked back with the thumb into the corner, won the ball, the proceeded to walk away looking for a pass only for the thumb to catch up and easily take the ball from him...

My first game for a while. We gave Celtic far too much respect & sat back off them. I liked the energy of Fraser but we missed Bannigan; the midfield disappeared as the game went on. That meant Pogba was largely isolated by the time he came on.

Edwards looked useful, he deserves a start.

Outside of the top 3 we have the least number of goals conceded and people want to change the defence? Seaborne is not without his faults but is a very good defender at this level.

In my defence of Lindsay I was in no way calling for Seaborne to be dropped. I'd hope between Archie & Shaggy they know which pairing is preferable. Frans is OK defensively but often offers very little going forward. His speed of distribution is probably a tad slower than Lindsay's and he's on his weaker side. We're not playing the ball out of defence so much just now partly due I assume to the state of the pitches so my criticism of Frans is minor. When/if we start building more from the back again I want to see it done with a bit of pace. That's the one quality Balatoni had that we miss.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Liam has the making of a very good defender.

But Seabornes been shaky for a while now and been culpable for recent goals. Today was his worst performance by far this season. Time to give Frans another chance?

Bollocks, Seabourne is usually good and in many cases excellent, wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on Celtic game. Worst defensive display I've seen was Lindsay v. Dundee

Bollocks, Seabourne is usually good and in many cases excellent, wasn't there yesterday so can't comment on Celtic game. Worst defensive display I've seen was Lindsay v. Dundee

No, you're right. He's been excellent all season. Hasn't put a foot wrong. Player of the year by a mile. Hasn't lost us a single point or single goal. His distribution and positioning are world class. I'm stunned that no other team came in for him during the transfer window.

Edited by Big Col