Hamilton 15/10/16.

Auld Jag

Lucky point. We have huge problems with the defence. Thankfully Scully saved us and won us the point. Not helped by trying to hold on to our half-time lead; just gave them the initiative. Particularly disappointed with Barton and Lawless.

In all honesty they could have pulled someone off the street that's never seen a football game in his life and he would have done a better job than that regard of a referee.

Our lack of composure is defence is palpable, it was panic stations in there from the 55th minute onwards. There seems to be very little leadership at the back, as the ball was being hooked anywhere most of the time in the second half. When the inevitable equalizer came both Devine and Lindsay were hopelessly out of position for Donati's pass and neither went with Brophy (who admittedly finished well).

We had good openings in the second half (Erskine, Doolan, Booth's peach of a cross and Christie's header) any one of which could have secured it for us, but there was always the sense that we could be opened up at the back, and so it turned out to be.

Last half hour was a shambles.

The defence, especially Gordon and Devine, are a chocolate teapot in Jamaica. Second goal especially case in point.

Positive note is that when all playing together (and fit) Doolan, Edwards, Erskine and Lawless cause a whole host of problems offensively. We completely fell out the game as they tired/picked up knocks.

Part of the reason we let them on to us latterly was Barton clearly isn't fully fit. Osman isn't quite there yet too, but looked closer to it than previously. Excellent play from him to set up the second goal.

Scully made some good stops today, although he needs to work on his positioning with early crosses as he isn't reading them well. It always looks like a scramble when he picks up late that it's headed for the back post.

Bottom, depressing, line is that if we aren't beating teams as fundamentally shit as that Accies one at home, we will be relegated.

Last half hour was a shambles.

The defence, especially Gordon and Devine, are a chocolate teapot in Jamaica. Second goal especially case in point.

Positive note is that when all playing together (and fit) Doolan, Edwards, Erskine and Lawless cause a whole host of problems offensively. We completely fell out the game as they tired/picked up knocks.

Part of the reason we let them on to us latterly was Barton clearly isn't fully fit. Osman isn't quite there yet too, but looked closer to it than previously. Excellent play from him to set up the second goal.

Scully made some good stops today, although he needs to work on his positioning with early crosses as he isn't reading them well. It always looks like a scramble when he picks up late that it's headed for the back post.

Bottom, depressing, line is that if we aren't beating teams as fundamentally shit as that Accies one at home, we will be relegated.

you might say accies are shit but I thought they were better than us

Its the same old story. Despite how poor we are, we are off the bottom and are only 3 points from the top 6!!!! We need to bring in a defender before January, there must be someone decent out of contract, either that or start playing Gordon in the centre with Devine and Lindsay with Christie and Booth as full backs. Something has got to change

• Like 1

Apart from what has been said about the players, why are they reverting to the bad old habits of standing well back from the opposition player in possession? Any random one-footed player with a huge turning circle in midfield is given time and space on the ball to pick a pass through our midfield and defence, making the opposition look like world-beaters. Admittedly, the referee today looked determined to dust off his red card for a Thistle player, but if we're not competing anyway what does that matter? I'll pass over the tendency to punt the ball out of defence to the opposition defence, and then wonder why it comes straight back - oops, now I've said it.

• Like 1

Our defence is a shambles. Devine is one of the worst defenders I can remember. Costs us goals every single week and still nobody there to replace him.

For 20 minutes before the goal everyone in the ground (bar Archie by the looks of it) could see the Hamilton equaliser coming. I have no idea why we didn't do something to stop this. All that happened was we continued to punt long balls to no one for Hamilton to again pile pressure on us.

Edwards was great first half but my god he was hopeless second half. His first touch is so poor he couldn't trap a bag of cement. Not one player turned up second half mins you and osman and Barton were no where to be seen.

The ref was appalling as well but how can we expect to win games when it seems to be that we hand at least two goals a game to our opposition.

Archie will continue to stand on the side lines with his arms folded not really doing an awful lot to instruct the team by the looks of it.

Now to get drunk and forget about today!

That defence will see us relegated, no ifs no buts. We were spoiled last season with the choices of Seaborne (where was he today?) Frans, Lindsay and Miller. For some totally bizarre reason we apparently didn't make a great effort to keep the three that left and have brought in Danny Devine. I am at a loss as to why the manager has allowed this to happen, also up front, we must be the only club in the top league where the two main strikers at the club, to date, have not scored a goal between them in the league. Even this early in the season I think our only hope is that we can stay in touch with those round about us until the end of December and try to get another centre half in. The game was similar to the Well game where we took Erskine off and we retreated back to defend the lead and surprise surprise we couldn't, losing a goal in both games in the 82nd minute. Really think we need a 3 goal lead in games and even then I wouldn't be fully confident of seeing it out. I also have to say I have given Scully a fair peppering over the last year but he was excellent today and if it hadn't been for him, we would have lost. The guy is really coming on to a game. Wish we could say the same for the rest of the defence!!

ETA...We have all seen some total warmers of refs at our games but that guy today was unbelievable. The Imrie incident beggared belief!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

With our defence so poor we really need to be attacking teams much quicker and that needs to start with Scully getting the ball out either to his defenders to push forward or accurate balls to the forwards. He spends too much time waiting for someone to get into position which just gives the opposition time to get organised and more often than not win the kick out.

Scully was excellent apart from sometimes dawdling on giving a quick throw to a defender, but going how they played I can understand he wants to kick it up field

Booth was ok

Lindsey was good, we will struggle to keep him in a year

Devine poor, doesn't attack the ball, seems lost, total bombscare at the moment

Gordon, whilst he tackled well at times, positionally he's all over the place pulling Devine out of position and stopping us holding a defensive line

Osman I thought was solid, nice bit of skill to set up the goal, tired at the end

Barton played well won the ball well, but doesn't seem fully match fit

Edwards got involved in everything, chased every ball he's improved massively this season

Lawless flatters to deceive, doesn't really do much, tries (and fails) with fancy flicks when a simple pass will do

Erskine at times unplayable at times unplayed himself, chased everything and never gives up

Doolan was excellent unlucky not to get a goal or a penalty

Amoo & Azeez were very quiet when they came on apart from Azeez's shot, maybe park was too slimy for their pace

Elliot looked decent when he came on.

Referee and JHS linesman were a disgrace

The way our defense is at the moment some team will take 5 or 6 off us, and none will be Scully's fault

Our team also doesn't seem as fit as the Accies team and you could see that equalizer coming a mile off as our team tired quickly after the hour mark.

It's going to be a hard season

• Like 1

It's a while since I have seen a game at Firhill where both sides had so many shots at goal - some good saves by both keepers but it's worrying that a pedestrian Accies side had so many good chances. A point was all we deserved.

Scully saved us several times in the first 20 minutes but we improved a bit after a lucky equaliser with quick thinking by Osman & Erskine...and an unlikely double jink & cross by Osman to set up the second. Erskine & Doolan had chances to put us two ahead early in the second half but we then fell out of it. Our central defenders seemed to be caught out for their equaliser but for most of the second half our midfield was posted missing - they hardly won a tackle or made a decent pass. Barton floated about...Edwards charged about...but neither had any influence on the game. Judgement has to be reserved on Barton but from what I have seen so far, Welsh, Fraser & even Wilson have more to offer.

Lawless was again quiet and none of the subs did much...my heart sank when I saw Erskine was injured...he is our by far our most potent threat.

Improved performances from Scully & Lindsay the only upbeat note.

The defence gets, maybe rightly, a lot of stick here, but Thistle (along with County) have lost less goals than any of the rest of the bottom seven.

Perhaps we should look more critically at the players who are supposed to get the ball in the opposition's net.

That (in our case) is probably more down to good goalkeeping and/or luck

Devine is a pansy of a CB ,

bullied and outjumped all day. One of the worst 45 min since we came up in the second half.

Been saying for the last few matches, we have too many nice guys .Imrie's a fud and a nutter be he sparked him team into somthing today.

There is no leadership out there, no talkers or shouters ,

I'll take pelters for this but despite his MoM I thought Scully was very slow out at the second goal. Seemed to come and stop far too short of their player.Shades of Foxy .

A poor transfer window from Archie is costing us big time. Can't belive we didnt sign Balatoni until January for cover at least.

Don't know if we have the tools or tactics to get out of this this season. We play so predictably nd nothing seemso change from game to game.

Archie looked as if the pressure was getting to him today.