Sellik 09/12/16

Lindau

Just to be clear re our defence- by goals conceded it is 8th in the league, middling to average but nowhere near as bad as some would like to make out (with some mitigation in that we've hardly seen our first choice keeper and have been down to our third keeper for a few games, and not seen our first choice RB at all).

Just to be clear re our defence- by goals conceded it is 8th in the league, middling to average but nowhere near as bad as some would like to make out (with some mitigation in that we've hardly seen our first choice keeper and have been down to our third keeper for a few games, and not seen our first choice RB at all).

Quantity of goals conceded is one dimension, quality of goals conceded is the other and tonight's were dreadful plus quantity of goals conceded needs to be seen in context of how many goals you score

`

Love all of that - really do.

Where are we in the league right now?

That they are better than us, individually and collectively, in undeniable, but the goals conceded were of the charity variety to be honest.

Hearts away, then them away, doesn't bode well but we are probably not appreciably worse than the teams in the bottom 6 so becoming detached isn't an immediate probability.

`

Love all of that - really do.

Where are we in the league right now?

11th....

...and three points off 6th.

If you'd asked me at the beginning of the season would you be happy with 11th after 16 games, I'd have said no. If you'd asked me at the beginning of the season would you be happy with being 3 points of 6th after 16 games, I'd have said that would be reasonably good. Make of that what you will.

Simply stated, when only 3 points separate 6th to 12th after 16 games, it's reasonable to assume that all the teams are at a very similar level. Our points total, goals conceded, goals scored and goal difference are very similar to the teams around us (We are also 8th in terms of goals scored). There is no need to panic. And we are not that bad, just average. The way people talk on here you'd have thought we were St. Mirren!

Edited to correct a typo (I'm fussy like that)

Edited by Duke Gekantawa
  • Like 3

What about Thomson?

some very very strange decisions, Brown doesn't even get spoken to after two bad fouls, yet Azeez gets booked for what? simulation? really?

hopefully we'll get reimbursed for the 3 balls that weren't returned by their fans- and why after their second goal, did the celtic player not get reprimanded for blatantly throwing the ball into the JHS?

level playing field! you're having a laugh.

Cheers

• Like 1

11th....

...and three points of 6th.

If you'd asked me at the beginning of the season would you be happy with 11th after 16 games, I'd have said no. If you'd asked me at the beginning of the season would you be happy with being 3 points of 6th after 16 games, I'd have said that would be reasonably good. Make of that what you will.

Simply stated, when only 3 points separate 6th to 12th after 16 games, it's reasonable to assume that all the teams are at a very similar level. Our points total, goals conceded, goals scored and goal difference are very similar to the teams around us (We are also 8th in terms of goals scored). There is no need to panic. And we are not that bad, just average. The way people talk on here you'd have thought we were St. Mirren!

Cannot argue with a single word of your analysis.

But why should Thistle be in this poor a position for the fourth season in a row? Why cannot we start a season better?

And before the vultures arrive, not a word of the above is to be construed as a criticism of the manager or his team.

Genuine question; what can we reasonably do to achieve better results?

Cannot argue with a single word of your analysis.

But why should Thistle be in this poor a position for the fourth season in a row? Why cannot we start a season better?

And before the vultures arrive, not a word of the above is to be construed as a criticism of the manager or his team.

Genuine question; what can we reasonably do to achieve better results?

It's worth noting that all of the teams around us are in at least their third season in the division, so that it's our fourth season up does not offer a great advantage.

There's a couple of reasons why we've not had one really good season, like others around have had. The obvious is money/budget (compared to County, Dundee, Motherwell and Killie anyway) Another is not (yet) finding a truly prolific striker (e.g., Hemmings). Although you can realistically only hope to keep hold of such a player for 1-3 seasons most (while a fairly reliable striker like Doolan can be kept long enough to become a legend). And let's not forget we were a solitary point from securing (at least) 6th las season, which would have been considered a great achievement.

However, ultimately there's a lot to be said for being consistently average without getting into debt.

Another Deja vu game vs Celtic. Why do we not try to get in their faces. We give them too much time on the ball and whenever we got the ball we were like rabbits caught in headlights. And what is it with the officials. Brown deserved 2 yellows but got nowt. What was the goal disallowed for ? It may not have been a foul on Azeez, but it wasn't simulation.

Once again I am dejected.

I think the word best suited to describe our current predicament is "stagnant." Let us be honest here: have we really kicked on in our 4th season back in the top tier? Absolutely not. Another woeful start to the season, and yet again we crashed out of the League Cup without a whimper. On top of that, I honestly believe this is the weakest looking Jags side that we have seen in the Premiership since we were promoted. Yes, our first season had the likes of Baird and Big Gabby, but there was a flare and quickness thanks to guys like Higgy who could turn a game on its head. Let's not forget that our first season saw us thump Aberdeen, run Celtic close at Firhill, and breeze past Hibernian.

I fear that the ambition at the club doesn't go past that of the most horrible "C-word" in football; consolidation. Kilmarnock version 2.0. Just stay up and no more. And I am obviously not alone in this view, as tonight's crowd numbers and general apathy can attest to. I'm not saying that we should sack Archie. Past experience with clubs in our predicament (i.e. Falkirk, Dundee Utd, Hibs) has shown that changes in management rarely lead to a team beating the drop. But something has to change. There needs to be some new recruits, and Archibald needs to actually get it right this time. Steven Craig is as close as we have come to offering Doolan a capable strike partner in the past 6 or 7 years, and that defence is just a nightmare.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck
  • Like 1