Sellik 09/12/16

Lindau

What seems to be missed in this is the way that Gordon moves his right leg quite deliberately into Ade's path and attempts to pull it away. Even the slightest contact in this case (and I believe that there was) makes it a no brainer. Furthermore, if you take a swing and miss at an opponent (with your fist or foot) then there is intent to commit foul play. For that you get penalised. Gordon moves his leg to block Aziz, when the ball is already past him, as a consequence there is intent. He should have been scanctioned.

Nah. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one regarding whether or not it was a foul by Gordon on Azeez.

After watching it again, what is clear is that if any contact did occur it was outside the box.

Btw, just saw the fourth Celtic goal. Who was that McGregor ghosted by to stroke the ball into the Thistle goal?

Quelle surprise! Sean Welsh.

This ball watching is one of our major failings and we need to cut it out.

Not you alone, but there are a good few who only come on to moan about how poor Thistle are. We are who we are and have the budget we operate under. If you all feel we should be a different team then why don't you go support that one.

Compared to last season we are a lesser team, in my opinion.

Your last sentence does not stand up to serious scrutiny. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being aspirational in football, or in life.

Compared to last season we are a lesser team, in my opinion.

Your last sentence does not stand up to serious scrutiny. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being aspirational in football, or in life.

Aspirational is fine Barney but judging folk on aspiration isn't. Would you like to be judged on the best you could ever be?

Honestly not sure what your point is Metz?

Are you hoping this season is going to get better, or what?

Barney, my point is quite simple It's great to hope for the best but the reality is that you will generally end up where you belong.

My only hope for the season is we avoid the relegation and the play off's, if you can be bothered read my earlier posts and you'll see I am consistent in that view.

For the size of our support and budget we can only expect to be above Hamilton anything else is aspirational.

It was never a foul, let alone a penalty.

As if that would ever have made a difference to the result anyway.

Clear foul, Gordon caught him. Not sure if it was inside or outside the box. Was sure it was a foul at the time, clarified by tv. Even Chris Sutton said so ffs! Gordon has had about 3 or 4 incidents in the past year or 2 where he escaped a red card. Thomson just gave us nothing as usual

• Like 1

Surely the main point in this season is that we have not progressed and indeed seem to be going backwards .., the defence is insecure , the midfield ineffective and the attack unlikely to score that many .., this is despite Archie have the best infrastructure and support of any recent manager ... oh and the quality of our football has really got worse

• Like 1

If Azeez had went to Hamburg with the Beatles, he still couldn't score.

I see where you're coming from but truly believe the Hamburg analogy would've been better if you replaced the Beatles with Jerry Lee Lewis. A known association with the latter after his appearance at the Star Club in '64 would for sure have increased anyone's "scoring" chances. Even Tony Sheridan might have been a better example than the not yet Fab Four. Jump forward a couple of decades and hanging around Hamburg in the entourage of Chet Baker would've offered a better "scoring" opportunity. There was only one of him and he'd most likely have been effectively impotent thru too much use of ground up heroin substitute.

Sorry for above rant but someone had to stand up for the City of Hamburg. I do tho' agree that Mr Azeez is struggling to achieve recognition in his chosen profession as goalscorer. I do also recognise that a football free Saturday can allow certain poster on here too much time to digest strong ales from the Traquair Brewery and malts from at least three different whisky regions.

Carry on, now :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Metz, to say we should only be above Hamilton due to budgets and attendances, that is a lot of sh1te. Look at inverness for example, they have been in this league for nearly a decade. In that time this is the 1st season they have really struggled. Its bound to happen eventually. They have been a fairly successful team in that time also. Their crowds are worse than ours, budget is similar. We have been here for what is now our 4th season. We are in the same position as we were in each of the 3 that preceded it. They have been in numerous finals/semi finals, weve been to 1 in maybe 30 or 40 years

Edited by MonehJags

Surely the main point in this season is that we have not progressed and indeed seem to be going backwards .., the defence is insecure , the midfield ineffective and the attack unlikely to score that many .., this is despite Archie have the best infrastructure and support of any recent manager ... oh and the quality of our football has really got worse

Are we getting worse or is the league getting harder and more competitive?

• Season 1 - No rangers, admin Hearts, poor Hibs, ... celtic champs (99points) Motherwell 2nd (70points) Aberdeen 3rd (68points)
  • Season 2 - No rangers, Hibs, Hearts. ... celtic chumps (92points) Aberdeen 2nd (75points) ICT 3rd (65points)
  • Season 3 - No rangers, Hibs or D.U. ... celtic chumps (86points) Aberdeen 2nd (71points) Hearts back and 3rd (65 points)

We're 16 games into into season 4. Celtic unbeaten, dropping only two points out of 42. Rangers return sees them sitting 2nd in the league. Have current 3rd and 4th, Aberdeen and Hearts gone backwards too?

Friday's game against Celtic was the first time anyone has scored more than 2 goals against us in the league. We have only failed to score in 3 league games. Both are firsts for this stage of our season since promotion.

We have taken points off every team except the current top 4, lost to only 2 of of the other 7 one of whom we beat in the return fixture, and we have recorded 2-0 victories against our 2 nearest rivals at the bottom.

We have played only 5 league games with our first choice keeper between the sticks for 90mins....

For sure, there's cause for concern. Bottom of the league is not a good look or feel, or a sound foundation to make a defence of consistency or possible slow progress in tougher times. However, I think it's too early to say we are on the slippery slope. If we don't get a decent return, at least a couple of wins, from our 5 games between celtic away and aberdeen at the start of february, then the case for regression becomes stronger.

I ain't chipped in much on here about the team so far. It's not been as good as I hoped. We have not progressed to some kind of consistent comfort of competitive competence or really displayed professional assurance and experience where we fans are looking more at ourselves than others for acceptable standards and chances of survival are turned to potential for glory. But for me, that was hope, rather than expectation.

Our debt has been cleared. We didn't become rich. We can look forward only because we've been lifted from a hole, not put on a pedestal.

For now, I still have faith in Archie to get us to the point where we can really start setting our own standards on the field that might possibly exceed those we, fans, players and coaches, should be very grateful for off it. I have doubts that others might take it for granted.

Still the best fit for the job right now.

:fan:

• Like 8

Barney, my point is quite simple It's great to hope for the best but the reality is that you will generally end up where you belong.

My only hope for the season is we avoid the relegation and the play off's, if you can be bothered read my earlier posts and you'll see I am consistent in that view.

For the size of our support and budget we can only expect to be above Hamilton anything else is aspirational.

Fair play - point taken Metz.

Given where we are right now, our hopes are exactly the same for this season.

I'm backing Archie to achieve that, and then onwards and upwards next season.

Barney, on your last sentence, this is what I as thinking at this point last year.

And you wouldn't be alone. Every Thistle fan has hopes and aspirations for our team.

Infact, every team has fans who has hopes and aspirations, but such is the nature of Scottish football and our small leagues, it's near impossible to realise them.

There's probably a Monehaccies sitting on an Accies forum every week complaining about Hamilton giving away a 1.0 lead! Think that's 10 times now. According to some a draw at Accies was a crap result the other week. Do you think the Accies fans thought it was a good result to drop 2 points at home to Thistle?

Or there's Monehwell over on the motherwell forum who sees his team struggle, after competing with Aberdeen for second place just a few seasons ago!

Monehdee who is up in arms at Hartley not making them a top6 team despite their huge budget.

We are where we are, every team has unhappy fans, but none of those fans have a right to expect football to be binary: you progress the longer you are in the league, for example. Because if that was the case, Motherwell, St Johnstone, Dundee etc would be finishing above us every year.