January Transfer Window

Paolo

Got to improve that defence and start scoring.

Putting last night aside I would put the emphasis on scoring. The defensive slips and howlers can't be ignored but we've at worst only ever shipped two goals in any league game and we've scored a second goal in only four occasions. Further (not including last night) Lindsay, perhaps one likely to be benched if we strengthen defensively, had contributed three league goals.

I think it reasonable to assume player funding in January is going to be tight, if indeed possible. If it is tight we can play three at the back, if only for damage limitation, and use what little money available to strengthen in an attacking area.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

As I mentioned in another thread- we've the 8th best/5th worse attack by goals scored and 8th best/5th worse defence by goals conceded, so it's not desperate. Muzzy will be very important if we can get him fit, both defensively and in terms of attacking threat. Of course, a Taylor type signing wouldn't go amiss, if any to take the pressure of Azeez, who I maintain shows promise.

I'm sure if the right player(s) become available we'll sign at leat one. But I'm not panicking, to be honest.

Above all a striker. Our defence while not as good as it should be is OK. It's lack of goals that is killing us. I know we can't afford a top striker; we have to try to pick someone from a lower league somewhere who scores goals, taking the chance he'll manage the step up. I defended Azeez for a bit with my mates but he just looks like he'll never score now. We put our money on him, a guy who seems to have all the physical attributes of a good centre forward but he just doesn't have it as a goal scorer. I don't think he's scored a league goal for us yet (or if he has it's only one). I'd take a risk on a low league guy who seems to have a goal scoring knack and hope he manages to make the step up to a higher level - even if he doesn't I'd bet he'd score the odd goal for us because some chances would fall to him and he'd take a few of them. Might mean we'd need to play the 3-5-2 as such a player may not be able to play the lone striker.

Of course if we could afford more than one player I'd sign another centre back too.

They'd be a bit more in the pot if more jags fans turned up, last night was pretty poor

Agree in general but would never criticise any Jags fan for not turning up to watch any half of that scum. I'm a season ticket holder that will seldom go particularly if on TV and can see my team without the bile that they bring.

Fan won't go to watch the same old negative, unimaginative, poor excuse for entertaining football. If anyone had money to spend, all they would have to know that Archie signed Piccolo, Pogba and Azeez, case closed and investment gone. In all this time there has not been one glimmer of progress, we're always scraping at the bottom of the table, when lesser teams move on. This team are going nowhere at the moment.......January window. New manager......

Lets put it in a more positive way by saying we have 2 more games before the end of the month and the more fans we can get to those the better it will be for finances.

Depends which way you look at it tho', FT. Obviously the more pay at the gate bums on seats the more in the coffers. What tho' are the realistic chances of a bumper crowd on a Wednesday night between Xmas and New Year? Besides Dundee fans aren't exactly likely to turn up in numbers either.

More relevantly we'd surely would have anticipated a reasonable attendance on the 31st against Killie. Now even bringing the match forward an hour is unlikely to have any more than a marginal positive affect on the crowd that day, which will be poisoned by events elsewhere. I tip my hat in respect to any Killie or Jags fan traveling by public transport that day.

In short I can't in any way imagine our crowds over the next couple of home games will have a positive affect on what funds are available in January. More realistically if our own relatively meagre crowds hold up I'd take that as a bonus.

Fan won't go to watch the same old negative, unimaginative, poor excuse for entertaining football. If anyone had money to spend, all they would have to know that Archie signed Piccolo, Pogba and Azeez, case closed and investment gone. In all this time there has not been one glimmer of progress, we're always scraping at the bottom of the table, when lesser teams move on. This team are going nowhere at the moment.......January window. New manager......

Which lesser teams have moved on from scraping about at the bottom of the table?

As I mentioned in another thread- we've the 8th best/5th worse attack by goals scored and 8th best/5th worse defence by goals conceded, so it's not desperate. Muzzy will be very important if we can get him fit, both defensively and in terms of attacking threat. Of course, a Taylor type signing wouldn't go amiss, if any to take the pressure of Azeez, who I maintain shows promise.

I'm sure if the right player(s) become available we'll sign at leat one. But I'm not panicking, to be honest.

Azeez? Promise? Really?

Archie miraculously punted Pogba.

To get players in we need to punt more of the garbage without incurring large costs.

Goodbye to Gordon,Devine, Welsh and Azeez.

The manager really wold be doing a good job if he can get rid of that lot without cost.

Says we punt Azeez as you suggest. How many strikers will that be we've had come in and go straight back out?

At what point, do you think, we will start to build a reputation as a team who don't give young players a chance? That eventually that reputation will stick? Sign for Thistle? Really, what a one year deal, but if I don't hit the ground running, the fans want me out the door by christmas and the manager listens to fans whims!

I see a lot in Azeez that I saw in Gabby. A young player with promise, thrown to the lions. In an ideal world gabby should have been a long term investment, played in the reserves or out on loan. Given time to acclimatise to a new life. That didn't happen. You could argue the same with Azeez. I think Azeez is the same age as Doolan when he joined. Dools went out on loan to clyde and didn't score, did he? But he showed promise and we stuck with him and allowed him to develop. I think Azeez deserves the same opportunity.

However, that still means we need a striker with an eye for goal, to come in.

• Like 2

I am actually pretty happy with our squad, I think it's the best squad we've had since we got back in to the Premier League.

Yes the defence is an issue, I don't see us being able to swap Devine for someone else given he is on a 2yr deal so adding another CB will be important. We have a ready made replacement for Welsh in Bannigan, not sure when he will be back but if he's not going to be back by February another midfielder will be required. I actually think there is a good player in Welsh, he just doesn't show it often enough, if he played quicker he'd be fine but just turns in to a liability a lot of the time. I would hope this is something that could be coached but given he's had the same issues since he joined, it looks unlikely.

Doubt there will be much budget left, shifting out McDaid & Wilson on loan plus some other of our youngsters may free up some wages. Another striker is needed, again I like Azeez but it does not look like he's going to score enough goals this season to take the pressure off Doolan.

Could perhaps see Amoo leaving, when he's on form he's good, he's the type of player another club may take a punt on & that may be something we need to consider if trying to get someone else in. Hope he stays though, definitely got something to offer.

The first thing we have to do is tighten up at the back. Been saying it all season, keep a clean sheet and you have a minimum of a point. Seeing Seaborne last week and going by my Accies workmate comments, he hasn't been a loss but I think the big loss we had was letting Gary Miller go. He could cover well in three positions and I thought he was outstanding any time he played at centre half. If he had stayed, the money spent on Devine and Gordon could have been used to better effect. As for up front, yeah we deffo need someone in, but the solution may be in the squad at the moment. Why not give Amoo a shot as an out and out striker. Good in the air and has pace to burn. It's worth a throw of the dice!

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 4

I wish people would stop suggesting that Gordon was a targeted signing. He was signed because Dumbuya got injured. Miller was offered a contract and decided not to stay because he wasn't guaranteed a place in the team. Not much Archie could do about that.

Nobody as far as I can see is suggesting that. We all know why Gordon was signed. Just going by Devines contribution this season so far, it would have been better to guarantee Gary a central defensive slot, though I agree that Archie was certainly not to know how poor Devine has turned out to be to date.

The first thing we have to do is tighten up at the back. Been saying it all season, keep a clean sheet and you have a minimum of a point. Seeing Seaborne last week and going by my Accies workmate comments, he hasn't been a loss but I think the big loss we had was letting Gary Miller go. He could cover well in three positions and I thought he was outstanding any time he played at centre half. If he had stayed, the money spent on Devine and Gordon could have been used to better effect.

This in spades.

This time last year Gary Miller was viewed as the handy option on the bench in case anything goes wrong at the back.

His contribution after Christmas last year was immense. Hamilton away and St Johnstone at home being particular standouts.

He's been sorely missed this season - Gordon is nowhere near as good as him - who would ever have thought that?

The Ziggy thing is a conundrum though, it's something that should have worked for both parties, but it hasn't turned out that way so far.

• Like 4

Nobody as far as I can see is suggesting that. We all know why Gordon was signed. Just going by Devines contribution this season so far, it would have been better to guarantee Gary a central defensive slot, though I agree that Archie was certainly not to know how poor Devine has turned out to be to date.

I am sorry if I have picked you up wrong, but lumping Gordon, Devine and Millar together sounded to me like these were deliberate(bad) decisions