Killy 31/12/16 2.00Pm Kickoff

topcat

Happy with the point given that we had won our last 2 games and given the conditions. We were clearly the better team but Killie had chances to snatch it.

That said, we were once again denied a perfectly good goal. Similar to the Hamilton away game recently. Dools is clearly onside. Poor decision from the linesman. If there is any doubt the decision is supposed to go to the attacking team. That clearly isn't happening in Scotland when you factor in Booth's disallowed goal at Hamilton and Doolan's 2nd half goal today. No complaints about the first one as it was clearly offisde.

Our creative players couldnt get going. A lot of Erskine's and Lawless's flicks and passes werent coming off but not due to lack of effort or endevour but more to do with the conditions.

Difficult to Judge any player today given the terrible weather but Barton , Cerny and Booth all looked good and another clean sheet for the defence is a positive.

Maybe a case for getting Azeez on sooner . Was pretty glad when the whistle went.

A strong blustery wind almost guarantees a rotten game and the second half in particular was a poor performance and low in entertainment. In fairness, it was only when I was leaving the ground and was drenched by the time I reached Firhill Road that I realised just how bad the conditions were.There must have been about 100 throw ins during the game with the ball in the air all the time and players mistiming headers.

Without being particularly great, we were the better side in the first half but only some very competent goalkeeping by Cerny in the second half earned a point against a far from outstanding Kilmarnock side. Welsh & Elliot were decent in the first half but were pretty awful in the second half...Booth also faded towards the end and not for the first time this season the whole team looked tired as the game went on with the opposition finishing stronger.

Edwards was anonymous and Erskine had one of his off days. Doolan looked sharp and Lawless was a threat - I was disappointed when he was substituted. Barton is a class act. I assume the early goal was chalked off for offside - too far away for me to see. For the second disallowed goal, I was looking right along the line and saw the flag go up before the ball was in the net but I didn't think Dools was offside.

Bit of an anti-climax for the last game of the year...the weather today was a strong argument for a Winter Break. The improvement in the playing surface this season is remarkable though.

Our players looked knackered towards the end, and began to make mistake after mistake - especially in midfield, which put the whole team on the back foot. By contrast, Killie seemed much quicker and won most of the 50:50 balls towards the end as our players' reaction times slowed. I know the conditions were dire, but it was the same for both teams (although the wind favoured the side playing to the North Stand). Maybe, given the number of goals shipped towards the end of matches, there is a question mark over our fitness levels.

You know from my 60 years experience going along and suffering at Firhill today was an improvement!!

I was sure that it was going to be one of those days where we dominated a lot of the play and they scored late on and we went down Firhill Road with cumulative tails between legs and bemoaning the fact that "it's just what Thistle do!"

But we ARE better. We got a point and into the second half I was willing to settle for that. If the weather had been better I feel we would have won.

Think Archie is doing a great job and we have some cracking players. The second half of the season might just be our best yet in the top flight!

Have a good break lads and come out in the second half of January believing that you ARE really good.

Best of luck to everybody on here in 2017.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the wisdom of playing on Wed night as opposed to Tuesday. Erskine, who isn't anywhere near fully fit, having to play the best part of the game while the fittest of the fit, Edwards, had to go off 10 minutes earlier speaks volumes. The atrocious conditions certainly suited Killie more than us but how we never got a goal (that counted) will remain one of life's mysteries.

A couple of months ago that was the type of game we'd have lost in the dying minutes so I'll reluctantly accept a point.

• Like 1

Just watched the highlights: Incompetent linesmen are not only stealing money, they are also ruining the game.

That, plus the atrocity of the alleged linesman at Hamilton, have combined to leave us bereft of 4 exceptionally valuable points. They (apparently) say that these things even themselves out over the course of the season. Aye, right.

That, plus the atrocity of the alleged linesman at Hamilton, have combined to leave us bereft of 4 exceptionally valuable points. They (apparently) say that these things even themselves out over the course of the season. Aye, right.

The first goal against Dundee came from a free kick that never was, so in that sense you could argue that this week did even itself out.

The Hamilton decision was a shocker, no doubt, but I don't think that overall we're particularly left at a disadvantage through poor officiating - the referees and linesmen are consistently bad for everyone in this country. With the exception of two certain clubs, despite what they think, but let's not talk about them.

Edited by Roque

Happy new year to all Jags fans. Just a few words on Devine. He has had his critics but the boy done well yesterday...cant remember him doing much wrong. Thought he was excellent.

Danny Devine has been excellent in all the games he has played this month. He was outstanding yesterday, just behind Barton for MOTM. Looks like he is settling in nicely now, especially with Barton and Cerny tightening up the defence. People are saying on P&B that Stuckmans contract is not being renewed and that Mark Ridgers is joining in January.

• Like 1

Alan Archibald admitted the busy festive schedule has taken its toll on his Partick Thistle players following their frustrating goalless draw with Kilmarnock.

The Jags missed out on sealing their place in the top six before the winter break despite back to back victories over Ross County and Dundee which propelled them off the foot of the table and into the top half.

Archibald felt the stretch of five games in a fortnight showed in the performance of his side.

He said: "I thought we looked a bit leggy and the conditions didn't help us.

"I'm delighted though as this time last week I think we were bottom.

"It has given us a platform to go and build on. It's been ever so tight and I think it will be that way.

"There's not a lot in it you see the way Kilmarnock performed today after that bad result against Hearts the other night and that will probably continue."

It is a bit like Alan Archibald said, I don't think the conditions helped us much. Our normally ground based passing game deserted us. Frankly, I didn't realise just how atrocious the conditions were until I left the stadium. It explains why we played an unnnormal, for us game of headers.Which we are, frankly, not very good at. Our skill players were defeated by the weather, I think.

I have dried out now, thanks for asking :-)

Don't think I have ever seen water flowing down Firhill Road like it was at the end yesterday. It was like a river outside the North Stand at time up yesterday. Players deserve credit for playing in that. I think you could see the jags players visibly wilting in the last 20 minutes

A few weeks ago i thought by the time we got to this break, we would be in the bottom 2 and was just hoping we were not detached from the teams above us.So i am more than happy in the current league position we are in,just hope we can keep it going.Happy new year to everybody with any connection to Thistle.