Should We Not Make An Offer For Keown?

douglas clark

My only cause for concern for next season is the inevitable break up of the Keown-Devine-Lindsay partnership. What we don't want to be doing is going into next season's league campaign again with a makeshift centreback pairing (Barton/Devine) or back trio (Devine/Barton/McMullen). Nor do we want to be reliant on fielding defenders who sign in late August. Any successful defence is based on the whole being greater than the sum of the parts so we ideally want our central defenders to be joining us as early as possible.

We've no idea about whether Keown will be available next season. The norm in England is for players to be farmed out on loan to a variety of clubs rather than a single one and I'd be very surprised if we could afford to sign the lad. I'm also hoping the very likely transfer of Lindsay doesn't drag on as that would no doubt mean delay in bringing in a suitable left sided replacement, again far from ideal.

A quick look at Reading's wiki page reveals that they have no less than six young defenders out on loan. Amongst them Zak Jules at Motherwell, Jake Cooper at Millwall and Dominic Hyam at Aldershot. All three are younger than Keown and quite a bit taller. They always say you can't teach tall.

At 22, if he was going to make it at reading you would think that he'd have made the breakthrough by now.

I think we've got a shot. Maybe we can sneak him out under the radar

Swap deal? Lindsay for Keown?

Absolutely not. Lindsay is perhaps the best centre back we have ever had, or at least since Jackie Campbell.

I want us to retain the core of our defense, if at all possible.

Someone else mentioned money. We have some money, perhaps not just yet, but even a top six, bottom place, gives you guaranteed income. As does home gates against the crap teams in Glasgow.

We are not, exactly, poor these days.

(Frankly, I never, ever thought I would say that with a straight face ;-))

I am not suggesting we offer the house for the guy. I am suggesting we make a reasonable bid and see what happens.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did we not buy the amazing Adam Barton?

Edited by douglas clark

Absolutely not. Lindsay is perhaps the best centre back we have ever had, or at least since Jackie Campbell.

I want us to retain the core of our defense, if at all possible.

Someone else mentioned money. We have some money, perhaps not just yet, but even a top six, bottom place, gives you guaranteed income. As does home gates against the crap teams in Glasgow.

We are not, exactly, poor these days.

(Frankly, I never, ever thought I would say that with a straight face ;-))

I am not suggesting we offer the house for the guy. I am suggesting we make a reasonable bid and see what happens.

Correct me if I am wrong, but did we not buy the amazing Adam Barton?

We did buy Barton. How much? No idea.

So, we do buy players. And we do have a bit of money coming our way.

Keeping our entire defence, from Cherny to Barton ought to be a priority.

May be tricky, but we should see what the club can do. Lindsay should be a priority retention.

Just saying. our hero's options are more likely realistically at the PSG / Barcelona level than even English Premiership level. That is how good I think he, potentialy, is.

Hopefully a year or so off before the inevitable sale?

Edited by douglas clark

I would like to think if we offered a quarter of what we will get for Liam then that might be enough to procure his signature.

I would like to think that as well. Unfortunately I don't. Besides I doubt very much, even if Reading were willing to sell Keown, we could offer a suitable wage on top of what we'd have to match on his current contract. Archie gambled on a first time loanee and the gamble has certainly paid off. Victims of our own success. The downside to that probably means that clubs that can offer much better terms will have been alerted should Keown become available.