Unacceptable

joekea

Okay so I went to the pub after the game but I cannot settle and look forward to the normal "well there's always next week" which is my norm .....so I have to have a rant!

Today was unacceptable....the manager, the team and the board must look at this result and the performance and decide how we progress after the international break. Whatever direction we take I will always be there, be it in the SPL or in the 1st division but at least don't pretend we have no problem with what is on display.

Its time to make some changes or we will just have more of the same. Its time to step up and change the team or be honest and admit that our aspiration is the play offs if we can even manage that! Totally unacceptable!

Ok joekea, i'll bite. Why was it so bad today. I will say i predicted today as either 2-0 or 3-0. We never play at fir park, i wonder why. I didnt go so would be grateful of some detail

Edited by Guest

The reactions we are getting from some posters on here is exactly the same as last season. At the end of Sept.last season we had 5 points after 7 games(Celtic game had been rearranged).So we are only 2 less. We didn't win our 2nd game until end of Oct. Also, people saying 14 games since we won and worse than Rooney. Both technically correct, but 6 of those games were last season, and they have no bearing on our current league position.

I am not saying I am confident that we can repeat last season, but it is too early to be panicking

Yesterday we had a 3rd choice right back and a 3rd choice left back playing as well as no Osman or Bannigan.

Yesterday was a complete mess. Terrible performance. Thistle didn't turn up. I'd have no argument with anyone criticising yesterday's display as harshly as they wish.

However I'd maintain my contxt argument in relation to everything running up to yesterday. I think we've been okay. Yesterday did come as a shock to me, and I think it came as a shock to most people, so it's not like we've been playing like that every week.

Management and players need to be given the chance to put it right, as they always have in the past. Consistent performances like yesterday's would get the manager the sack, and rightly so, but I'm still confident (based on previous experience, and quality) that they'll turn it round.

• Like 1

Hibs (2nd half), St Johnstone, Ross County & Motherwell we've been crap, played well against Celtic, Rangers, Aberdeen and to a degree against Hearts. Currently our form Is 8 goals for, 16 against, effectively a 2-1 defeat per game. Last year weren't losing many goals, but didn't look like scoring, this year (exception of Aberdeen game) we don't look like scoring or keeping a clean sheet, or lasting the full 90.

Barton isn't working in his current position, we have no effective center midfield who can break up play, sammon isn't a winger, and our wing backs are no longer bombing down the line, I think we've tried changing tactics to suit players instead of putting the correct players to match our tactics.

We also need either lawless or Erskine to start as we're lacking creativity

• Like 2

Your answer to the opening post is completely unacceptable for starters. You dismiss the result because it was at Fir Park and we never play. Is alarm bells not ringing then in your head, do you not question why that is?

I didn't say there weren't alarm bells but don't knee jerk to one result and one peesh poor performance. No player goes out intending to play crap and neither does a team as a collective. I fully understand why people will be starting to question fitness (i've posted already on that topic), tactics, team selection, determination, dedication....just don't call for mr manwering and pike just yet!!

Archie and shaggy have got it right eventually every season so far so i say we stick with it, and back to the original point, we've not been peesh in every game. If the present run continues into game 11, 12, 13, 14.....then i might join the panic bus.

Comparing it to last season to fob off is meaningless. What we are seeing is a pattern of poor and slow starts. We should be winning at least one game out of three against Ross County, St Johnstone and Motherwell in a passable season.

There is going to be a season where, having shown no bottle or urgency in the opening set of fixtures, we're not going to suddenly click and turn it around. It's perfectly legitimate and reasonable for fans to worry that this might be that time. The team is getting plagued by injuries at precisely the point in the season when everyone's conditioning is supposed to be optimal. We've conceded late goals or done something stupid against every team we've led against, and there is a losing mentality on the park that can't be swatted away on the basis we had one good result in the cup at McDiarmid Park and beat one out of two second tier diddies.

Those saying that we need to lower our expectations because we've only lost to teams ahead of us are missing the point. A lot of these teams are ahead of us in part because they took points off us.

We don't expect to be picking up lots of points against the top brass of the league, but Ross County and Motherwell aren't top brass. They're cack. And unless we get at least 3 points from one of Killie, Dundee and Hamilton, so are we.

We don't expect to be picking up lots of points against the top brass of the league, but Ross County and Motherwell aren't top brass. They're cack. And unless we get at least 3 points from one of Killie, Dundee and Hamilton, so are we.

I don't know your definition of "cack" but I was impressed by Motherwell. Good few new signings and a couple of players stepping up from their development squad. Fair to say they're a newish team so I can only go on this one game. They moved the ball about well, had excellent movement, particularly in the wide areas and whipped in decent crosses all game. Add to that their physicality without get players booked and I'd say on the only evidence I've got they'll do well this season.

None of that means that we, playing as we've done a few times this season, couldn't have got a result, nor does it hide that we were "cack".

• Like 1

Comparing it to last season to fob off is meaningless. What we are seeing is a pattern of poor and slow starts. We should be winning at least one game out of three against Ross County, St Johnstone and Motherwell in a passable season.

There is going to be a season where, having shown no bottle or urgency in the opening set of fixtures, we're not going to suddenly click and turn it around. It's perfectly legitimate and reasonable for fans to worry that this might be that time. The team is getting plagued by injuries at precisely the point in the season when everyone's conditioning is supposed to be optimal. We've conceded late goals or done something stupid against every team we've led against, and there is a losing mentality on the park that can't be swatted away on the basis we had one good result in the cup at McDiarmid Park and beat one out of two second tier diddies.

Those saying that we need to lower our expectations because we've only lost to teams ahead of us are missing the point. A lot of these teams are ahead of us in part because they took points off us.

We haven't had a season since promotion we have not suffered at least one defeat against county. So far, we are on track to improve on that.

We have taken a single point at Fir park since promotion. We have two fixtures to improve on that.

St. Johnstone have finished top 6 in every season since we got promoted. They are the top 6 side we have probably the best record against.

However, last season we took no points off rangers and got beat in our first game v. eventual top six finishers hearts. This year we have held both to draws... an improvement!

I appreciate we are desperate for a win, and that I'm making a bit of a "swings and roundabouts" excuse of an argument. However, the current table shows we have played the top 6 sides, drawn against 2 of the bottom 6 and have yet to play the other 3 poorest starters. There is a real concern over our mounting injury woes, and improvement on last season's conclusion seems distant, but results and performances thus far do not indicate we are unable to achieve a "passable season".

We finished top 6 last year. While not what we hope for, we can afford a couple of steps back this season. Given that a club like Hibs replaced ICT, our season ticket sales have not soared, and we are making a significant leap forward with the training facility, perhaps we should accept that after years of progression up the league tables, our ambition to climb requires some patience if it is to be sustainable. Consolidation both on and off the park must happen so that improving results are set in decent foundations. For now, perhaps "passable" remains "survival" in this league.

• Like 2

It's a shame there seems to be no younger players coming through to take advantage of the injury gaps and stake a place in the team.

Only the left back position is what I'd say is an injury gap and Elliott was doing fine there. Fair guess to say Penrice would've been involved by now. Nisbet and McCarthy are usually in the match day squad. Apart from McLaughlin (unavailable) the lad Lamont would I imagine along with Sneddon be considered for first team action. To date we've had enough strength in depth within the squad to cover all gaps with the exception of left back.

Only the left back position is what I'd say is an injury gap and Elliott was doing fine there. Fair guess to say Penrice would've been involved by now. Nisbet and McCarthy are usually in the match day squad. Apart from McLaughlin (unavailable) the lad Lamont would I imagine along with Sneddon be considered for first team action. To date we've had enough strength in depth within the squad to cover all gaps with the exception of left back.

Lamont is unavailable too as on loan to Clyde. That said there must be someone to fill bench if at least to give them some first team match day experience. Incidentally I hear Penrice is being used in midfield rather than left back on his loan and getting some good feedback.

Whether down to injury or lack of fitness we have a massive gap in central midfield, we even saw signs of that in the opening day defeat to Hibs where they strolled through us at times. Osman and Bannigan when in form are big misses. We seem to show an inability to win the ball at times. Barton and Edwards would be lucky to tackle a fish supper between themselves on current form. Also our retention of the ball is very poor. Barton tries hard to keep the ball moving but gets closed down far too often. Edwards has improved over the last few games in that respect but could do better. I’d give McCarthy a chance as he seems capable of putting in a fair tackle.

With these issues in midfield we continue to create few chances in most games as we don’t have that platform in the middle of the park to build on and when the ball is lost the defence is under increased pressure. In our games overall the opposition are getting two chances on goal to every one that we create. On that point alone it’s not surprising we’re not winning games.

Lamont is unavailable too as on loan to Clyde. That said there must be someone to fill bench if at least to give them some first team match day experience. Incidentally I hear Penrice is being used in midfield rather than left back on his loan and getting some good feedback.

Forgot about Lamont. Penrice has been played everywhere but his natural position. Not sure whether that's a good thing or not. Think it will be as long as he also gets playing left back

You can run around and panic if you like joekea, but I won't be holding you pishy pants.

We've been in the same position the last few seasons (i.e. 3 points or thereby into late Ocober/November) and look what's happened then.

Fair enough if we're in the same position after 16-20 games then there needs to be a re-evaluation but I think there is no way on this Earth that we're an 11th or 12th place team the way we can play - at some point this season it will really start to click and other teams will be wearing your pish stained drawers.

• Like 1

There's Celtic, then the also ran. Every other team in Scotland is roughly about the same, this includes the top junior divisions as well. We would have difficulty with a team of the same calibre as Pollock, Kilbirnie or even the mighty Rabs, maybe scraping a one or two goal victory. Has anyone noticed how whenever a goal kick is taken both teams cross over to the one side of the park.....incredible, who coached this tactic into the Scottish game. If Archie gets pumped, who is out there to change the system at present????

A major detractor when interviewing new candidates must be if you hold a coaching certificate form Largs is "I'm sorry but your application did not get through the sift"....

A major detractor when interviewing new candidates must be if you hold a coaching certificate form Largs is "I'm sorry but your application did not get through the sift"....

.. that would include Mourinho and Villas Boas et al going in the bin then? :thumbsup2:

Edited by gianlucatoni

• 2 weeks later...
You can run around and panic if you like joekea, but I won't be holding you pishy pants. We've been in the same position the last few seasons (i.e. 3 points or thereby into late Ocober/November) and look what's happened then. Fair enough if we're in the same position after 16-20 games then there needs to be a re-evaluation but I think there is no way on this Earth that we're an 11th or 12th place team the way we can play - at some point this season it will really start to click and other teams will be wearing your pish stained drawers.

Yes you were right! We won't be 11th or 12th place team.....we are a definite 12th! Its time now for YOU to start wetting the pants that you borrowed from your wife. Di@k!