Hearts at Tynecastle

elevenone

I sat in the stand and watched along with a few hundred other shivering souls, an abjectly poor display wondering where we go from here.

Osman deliberately trying to extricate himself from the game, the central defence in disarray, a forward line who never won a header, a midfield wondering what and where a midfield was and a manager standing statuesque dumbstruck on the sidelines.

If by some miracle we can take three points before the split we might just have a chance but only if Osman is benched and Barton plays as sweeper in every game from now to the end of the season...... you could argue to bring back Keown to play alongside Devine and Sammon up front for every game too.

We can only pray!

2 hours ago, Barney Rubble said:

We have the best pool of players we've had in 40 years, for sure.

Disagree. Lambie  squads in the SPL in the 90’s were better than this squad. You could even argue we’ve had better squads for the past couple of seasons

1 minute ago, jaggy said:

Disagree. Lambie  squads in the SPL in the 90’s were better than this squad. You could even argue we’ve had better squads for the past couple of seasons

Revisionism.

Lambie hadn't a clue how to run a top level football team - see Falkirk for evidence.

Archie does though, which is what make this season so frustrating.

Kevin McKee, Steve Pittman, et al are better than Christie or Callum? Not a  chance.

I'd love a 25 year old Alex Taylor or Ian Cameron sitting beside Martin Woods though.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Revisionism.

Lambie hadn't a clue how to run a top level football team - see Falkirk for evidence.

Kevin McKee, Steve Pittman, et al are better than Christie or Callum? Not a  chance.

I'd love a 25 year old Alex Taylor or Ian Cameron sitting beside Martin Woods though.

Are you for real ? , on the budget that Lambie was given it was a miracle what he achieved 

Would you have liked a midfield of  players like Charnley , Danny Lennon or Albert Craig out there today ? Not decrying Archie’s achievement of keeping us in the SPFL for the last 4 years, facts are whether we like it or not McNamara was the catalyst and although give credit to Archie for tightening up the defence and winning us the league but it was in effect McNamara’s team, this is now Archie’s rebuilt team and is now found wanting as the stakes have now got higher with Sevco, Hibs and Hearts now in the league . The extra prize money that we got last year and the money we got from Liam Lindsay should have been invested more in the team by adding more quality and proven players at that level. The main difference between Lambie and Archie apart from the budgets they were operating under is that Lambie had an eye for a player, I’m not so sure Archie has that plaudit

You shouldn’t decry John Lambies achievements for our club which is also a big part of our history 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jaggy said:

Has Archie not said this is the best squad we have had since we came back up ? I am sure he has.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Revisionism.

It’s easy to pick a few individuals and compare but overall Lambie squads from the early 90’s are superior to today’s squad.  Personally I would have Pittman over Booth, and Dinnie over Elliot any day.

Interesting you mention Woods, who was seen as a panic signing by many on here.

5 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Has Archie not said this is the best squad we have had since we came back up ? I am sure he has.

Maybe he has, but I’d prefer Lindsay to any of his replacements. Samson has improved on Azeez but I’m not sure of many others have been better compared to last season. I’d like to have O’Donnell rather than any that have replaced him as well. 

This nostalgia trip whilst entertaining is frankly irrelevant 

we thought we were in a good position this season with a squad stronger than previously .... it hadn’t worked out that way 

our results are another matter and they are very poor and our away record no win in 20 would suggest a draw at Ross county would be a fantastic  result 

in not sure what Archie thinks he has learned this season but the evidence on the park is not too much 

we look like West Bromwich and not in a good way 

• Like 1

Come on now this is not the time to get on Archie's back... no, sure that was four year ago when he signed Piccolo........and lets not forget the prolific goal ace Mukendi. We don't so much as watch Thistle anymore rather than pray other teams get beat.............Its an endurance or a penance to watch, McCarthy is a prime example of how he hasn't got a clue what to do or where to play the boy...............To be fair I don't want to see Archie sacked, what I want is to drive him to Glasgow Airport, put him on the first flight out never to return................If we are going to sack anyone Sack the board if they believe this drivel is worth paying money to watch..................Save the Jags... 

12 hours ago, Fearchar said:

We may be seeing the end of not the Archibald era but that of Maxwell, who seems to be in charge of the purse-strings and pretty well everything else - provided he leaves, of course. It may come out later that the delays in signing new players during every window, the retention of older players and the reluctance to blood younger players are all due to influences that Archie cannot influence.

Have you got any evidence whatsoever for these assertions? No you haven’t 

worst post I’ve seen here for some time 

• Like 1

watched the "highlights"

heidless chickens  

as Eric Morcambe said and I paraphrase "I played the right players but not necessarily in the right positions"

can anyone on here take a guess at our team selection and formation for our next game 

there is no leadership in this team and as for ozzy that performance yesterday should be his last in the red and yellow

12 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

All very well clamouring for Archie to go, but no suggestions as to a replacement seem to be emerging.

It's far too early for that.  Alan Archibald seems a decent man, and we all want him to suceed.  But he makes the same mistakes over and over again  in terms of team selection and  slow substitutions.  He carries a lot  of goodwill from his time as a player and his manager's record in keeping us up, but time is running out fast.  He has to learn very quickly now, and I hope that he does. 

56 minutes ago, JeanieD said:

All very well clamouring for Archie to go, but no suggestions as to a replacement seem to be emerging.

That's not a good enough excuse to keep him at the helm stumbling into games clueless. There will be a good manager out there, and im sure that man could do something with this group of players. If we survive, there has to be a clear out this summer, Muzzy, Banzo, Fraser, Osman to start with. We can get more out of several other players who I just don't think know what there supposed to be doing i.e. Erskine, Lawless, Booth, Keown etc. we know they are capable of better.

Take Killie as an example, majority of the same players at the start of the season, we were around (above?) them as Clarke took over, they are now 21 points clear of us and took 11 points off the OF (beating Rangers twice). We haven't accumulated that many points off the OF in probably 40 years

The fact we have only scored 26 goals from 30 games tells its own story. We are absolutely rotten in the final third in terms of not having the faintest idea what to do. When we score its more of a relief than expectation. I've been a season ticket holder for 20 years, of course we've been worse, but equally, we should really be a fair bit better than we are.

Edited by MonehJags

Didn't go, so my opinion is not as valid as those who were there. From viewing on Alba, i agree with many points made above.

Osman was very, very lucky to  avoid a red card. The 2nd and 3rd goals were down to basic defensive errors. 3-5-2 suits us much better, it means we're more solid at the back, Elliot and Boothnc can bomb up and down the wings and two up front gives us a better chance of scoring.

As for Archie the end of the season is the time to make a decision, we have decent players, they and the coaches should be given the chance to finish 10 the or better.  I think we can do it. If we get relegated I would expect Archie to walk. He has done well over the long term as manager, don't panic and replace him now.

18 minutes ago, Norgethistle said:

That’s the boards job, not ours

I believe sacking the manager is also the Board's job but plenty of people seem happy to take on that side of the role but not the other which directly results from that decision.

Also if we were to sack Archie now are we appointing someone simply to try and keep us up and then looking for a longer term solution in the summer? It could easily turn in to a situation were we do a Ross County and end up with 3 different managers is a short space of time.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I believe sacking the manager is also the Board's job but plenty of people seem happy to take on that side of the role but not the other which directly results from that decision.

Also if we were to sack Archie now are we appointing someone simply to try and keep us up and then looking for a longer term solution in the summer? It could easily turn in to a situation were we do a Ross County and end up with 3 different managers is a short space of time.

That's the boards job, is a cop out of complete shitebaggery proportions. 

Although certainly more respectable than suggestions like Owen Coyle or Bobby Williamson, the last time such a question was asked.