What if they shut down the season?

West Ender

I think reducing the league to 18 games is just a joke. If we can't complete at least 27 games they should just suspend/freeze the leagues and restart in August. Hopefully by that time things will be a lot better. We might even be able to get some fans into grounds and even play 36 games. I do realise that Falkirk and Queens Park would feel hard done by but the longer this keeps dragging on the bigger farce it becomes.

16 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

I think reducing the league to 18 games is just a joke. If we can't complete at least 27 games they should just suspend/freeze the leagues and restart in August. Hopefully by that time things will be a lot better. We might even be able to get some fans into grounds and even play 36 games. I do realise that Falkirk and Queens Park would feel hard done by but the longer this keeps dragging on the bigger farce it becomes.

Why wouldn't Falkirk and Queen's Park be promoted? There was a precedent set last season after all. Is it that we've only played about 1/3 of the season or that it wouldn't give Celtic a title?

2 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

Why wouldn't Falkirk and Queen's Park be promoted? There was a precedent set last season after all. Is it that we've only played about 1/3 of the season or that it wouldn't give Celtic a title?

I think the issue is that we would not be ending the season early this time as it appears "Null and Void" is more palatable for some reason now.

11 minutes ago, Muscat Jag said:

My suggestion is we don't cancel or null and void, but suspend the league as it is just now and continue when we restart in August. So no promotion or relegation until May 2022. 

7 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

My suggestion is we don't cancel or null and void, but suspend the league as it is just now and continue when we restart in August. So no promotion or relegation until May 2022. 

So, even if there was the opportunity for a full season, all we would get is the remainder of this one. Add to that, we would start with a 6 point deficit to Falkirk. Forgive me if I’m not a fan

5 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Think null and void is the most likely scenario. Your suggestion is a much fairer solution so probably won't receive any consideration. 

Imagine it would require teams to vote to give clubs that have done well this season an advantage when football resumes. Would only happen if they were prepared to break the habit of a lifetime. 

11 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

So, even if there was the opportunity for a full season, all we would get is the remainder of this one. Add to that, we would start with a 6 point deficit to Falkirk. Forgive me if I’m not a fan

Just a suggestion as i feel that this season for league's 1 and 2 is dead in the water. We first reduced the amount of games to get the season started, had no fans in grounds and last played 26th December and to restart who knows when. Reducing the season again to 18 games is a nonsense imo. My suggestion is not perfect, but i do not believe there is a perfect way to do it.

10 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Assuming we don’t get an agreement on a league reconstruction.

Null and void this season as if it didn’t happen.

No promotion or relegation.

Start again from scratch in August or whenever we can

Prize money distributed evenly

Can't wait to hear what Doncaster and co come up with. Anyone think they'll want to distribute it among the clubs who have b een playing?

I agree with the comments that clubs like Thistle, Falkirk and QP  are being discriminated against. All other full-time clubs in the UK are being allowed to continue playing apart from these three. Imagine if Thistle were a pub that was forced to stay closed while  all the other pubs were open. Could be a case for legal action if the season is closed. Just saying.

8 hours ago, Arete said:

I agree with the comments that clubs like Thistle, Falkirk and QP  are being discriminated against. All other full-time clubs in the UK are being allowed to continue playing apart from these three. Imagine if Thistle were a pub that was forced to stay closed while  all the other pubs were open. Could be a case for legal action if the season is closed. Just saying.

On what grounds ? Nobody forced us to stay full time in a mainly part time league and there was no prejudice against us, it was all clubs in our league.

3 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

On what grounds ? Nobody forced us to stay full time in a mainly part time league and there was no prejudice against us, it was all clubs in our league.

What happened to the duty of care to all the Clubs from the SFA and the SPFL , should make no difference whether they are part- time or full - time .

I'm really curious as to what level of spread of this virus we have to get to for us to be allowed to continue playing.

The current infection rates for each Local Authority show the majority would fall into Level 1 restrictions based on the criteria being used before Christmas with only a select few being in Level 3. These rates of infection were deemed suitable for play to continue in December so what's changed now?

In addition to this the daily number of cases is now slightly lower than it was in October when we were beginning the season, and trending downwards, and test positivity is also lower.

Hospital numbers are much higher, but these lag 2 weeks behind new infections so we have another 2 weeks of these dropping at the very least even if the drop in cases level off.

It just seems to me that there is something else going on here, and the parameters that we were deemed acceptable in October-December no longer apply.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, redandyellowallover said:

I'm really curious as to what level of spread of this virus we have to get to for us to be allowed to continue playing.

The current infection rates for each Local Authority show the majority would fall into Level 1 restrictions based on the criteria being used before Christmas with only a select few being in Level 3. These rates of infection were deemed suitable for play to continue in December so what's changed now?

In addition to this the daily number of cases is now slightly lower than it was in October when we were beginning the season, and trending downwards, and test positivity is also lower.

Hospital numbers are much higher, but these lag 2 weeks behind new infections so we have another 2 weeks of these dropping at the very least even if the drop in cases level off.

It just seems to me that there is something else going on here, and the parameters that we were deemed acceptable in October-December no longer apply.

At a national level, I think it's probably the lessons learned from the second wave that is informing a much more cautious approach. With the vaccine rolling out (thus raising expectations)  and us being in the middle of winter, relaxing restrictions now would set us back a long way.

1 hour ago, scotty said:

At a national level, I think it's probably the lessons learned from the second wave that is informing a much more cautious approach. With the vaccine rolling out (thus raising expectations)  and us being in the middle of winter, relaxing restrictions now would set us back a long way.

I'm not talking about relaxing restrictions more broadly, I understand the desire to try and squeeze this out until March/April time and drive numbers into the ground before opening up slowly as the weather improves and we approach a point of the majority of the adult population being vaccinated.

But it's back to my original point of if the Government believe that football resuming would have such a detrimental effect on the rate of infection that it has to remain suspended then surely all football must be stopped. There is a discrepancy here and it looks like neither the government nor the SFA are bothered about addressing.

Just a throwaway line about infection rates having to drop before the lower leagues are due back. What level is deemed acceptable? What if that's never achieved?

I appreciate that I'm banging my head against a brick wall here, but the whole situation is pretty frustrating. In January the Government said it was the SFA's decision as to whether football could continue yet 6 weeks later they have taken it upon themselves to will decide when it can resume but won't give any indication as to what  circumstances it can.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Dastardly said:

I said a couple of weeks ago that they wouldn’t even discuss restarting until the National lockdown level drops. I’m not saying it is right or justified, but it would send out the wrong message if they were to open up football while telling everyone else to stay at home and batten down the hatches.

It is also hypocritical to let 2 leagues play and stop every other league from playing. Even when 2 of the other leagues will do what the top 2 leagues do to let them  continue playing.

• Like 2