Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
javeajag

McCall and This Season……

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, javeajag said:

Harry Stone hearts keeper joins on season long loan 

I hope he proves me wrong but at 19 & only been on loan at Albion Rovers playing 13 games I'm disappointed. I feel we need an experienced keeper in this league. I'm not even sure if Sneddon's good enough although he has improved recently

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jaggy said:

I hope he proves me wrong but at 19 & only been on loan at Albion Rovers playing 13 games I'm disappointed. I feel we need an experienced keeper in this league. I'm not even sure if Sneddon's good enough although he has improved recently

Remember that 13 games was at least half a season in the strange circumstances of last season.

Personally, I am happy that we have not pulled a Fox out of the hat to demote Jamie to Number 2 without the possibility of fair competition. Jamie has a reasonable opportunity to establish himself. Equally Harry sounds good enough and keen enough that he will be a challenger/deputy as required.

Edited by partickthedog
I used the word "fair" twice. Thought once was fair enough.
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jaggy said:

I hope he proves me wrong but at 19 & only been on loan at Albion Rovers playing 13 games I'm disappointed. I feel we need an experienced keeper in this league. I'm not even sure if Sneddon's good enough although he has improved recently

 

2 hours ago, ThickAsThieves said:

Very highly rated at Hearts. I’m happy with the signing. 

Absolutely in the "who knows" with this. Put another way I'm lost to either argument. We've been let down with "experienced" back up keepers in the past. We've been pleasantly surprised with young keepers who've been thrust into the team. I favoured going down the experienced line but that was dependent on Sneddon been considered the clear No 1 keeper. Jamie has only been given a one year contract, which suggests the jury may still be out. With that in mind bringing in a loanee makes sense. Loanees are less likely to be of the experienced category so potential becomes the issue. Stone certainly meets that criterium.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I quite like the idea of competition for the number 1 jersey.

Prior to last season we had a clear first choice in Fox, Bell and Cerny. We've probably not had competition in that position since 14/15 when Gallacher and Fox were in the squad. (There was a brief spell when Hazard and Penrice battled for the jersey but its difficult for a young keeper to develop when they a playing behind a poor team that had a constant change in formation between back 3 and back 4.)

Fox and Bell looked too comfortable and there were plenty of games were they should have been dropped but we didn't really have a ready alternative.  Cerny was a great keeper but when he was injured the drop in standard to Scully was really noticeable and unsettled the defence

Hopefully between Penrice and Stone we have 2 decent keepers and the competition forces both to higher levels. McCall is pretty consitent with picking a back 4 and with experience like Foster and Bell it should be a good environment for a young keeper to develop.

However I do think this is a huge season for Sneddon. If he ends up playing second fiddle to a 19 year old then it doesn't auger well for his future. To my mind Sneddon needs to improve his kicking especially from open play and also start to exert more authority in his 6 yard box on corners.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

 

Absolutely in the "who knows" with this. Put another way I'm lost to either argument. We've been let down with "experienced" back up keepers in the past. We've been pleasantly surprised with young keepers who've been thrust into the team. I favoured going down the experienced line but that was dependent on Sneddon been considered the clear No 1 keeper. Jamie has only been given a one year contract, which suggests the jury may still be out. With that in mind bringing in a loanee makes sense. Loanees are less likely to be of the experienced category so potential becomes the issue. Stone certainly meets that criterium.

As I have said before …. Sneddon only accepted a one year contract, we don’t know what he was offered. It maybe that he wanted to keep his options open for next year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

As I have said before …. Sneddon only accepted a one year contract, we don’t know what he was offered. It maybe that he wanted to keep his options open for next year

That's certainly a possibility, DD.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think having an I experienced goalkeeper is a bad thing, hopefully having Bell in front of him will make it much easier. I genuinely don’t remember the last time we had a big g commanding goalkeeper. In recent years, well in the last 10 years we’ve had very small goalkeepers, Fox I absolutely hated even during his first spell I felt like he was our weak link. 
 

The others who come to mind are Tuffey and Cerny. I’d love to see us get a goalkeeper that can really command his box at some point. I also remember the french guy that came in when lambie took us up to the premier league, he looked great in his first few games and then had an absolute bowler.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

More prospects of success there?

No they were able to nick in and offer Rangers far more money than we could even though a verbs agreement had already been made.  That £500,000 grant they got goes a lot more than our £150,000 one unfortunately

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

No they were able to nick in and offer Rangers far more money than we could even though a verbs agreement had already been made.  That £500,000 grant they got goes a lot more than our £150,000 one unfortunately

 

Yeah. Such is the level playing field in our shitty league. Which puts into reality that 5th/ 6th next season will be a decent season.

Edited by Garscube Road End 2
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Fawlty Towers said:

I see James Lyon scored for Stenny tonight. I wonder if the terms of his loan will allow him to play against us on Saturday?

I think it's a condition all loan deals that players aren't allowed to play against their 'parent'  club

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, fifexile said:

I think it's a condition all loan deals that players aren't allowed to play against their 'parent'  club

Thanks, I would not expect him to play if we were in the same division but might be different for cups.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Evidently the young lad's goal was a cracker.

 

eta from the Stenny twitter account

Quote

There was no MOTM poll tonight but I’m sure we can all agree that James Lyon is the worthy winner.

 

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fifexile said:

I think it's a condition all loan deals that players aren't allowed to play against their 'parent'  club

I remember  somebody saying that it is an unwritten rule  that players don't play against their parent club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

I remember  somebody saying that it is an unwritten rule  that players don't play against their parent club.

I'm sure there have been English teams that got into trouble for that fairly recently. I feel like it might be the case for cup games, but that in league games these agreements are against the rules. Might just be an English thing or even something I've imagined though.

 

Edited to add: looked it up and I'm definitely wrong. Premier League rules say that players cannot play against parent clubs. Not a UEFA rule though. SPFL rules seem to be the same for cup and league matches.

Edited by twinny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×