Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Sivad

Football's coming home

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

Inumerable great goals have been scored because the scorer decided to shoot in the face of "better options." But because they were goals, the options are no longer considered "better."

Hindsight is great, isn't it.

Looks like you completely missed the point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Hendry shot was as bad as the decision Armstrong made against England, when he chose to pass it right instead of left.

Both terrible decisions were punished with a goal for the opposition. That's what can happen at that level.

One knocked us out of the WC and this has probably helped to put us out of the Euros.

I'll never look at Armstrong the same way but I think the manager has to take the blame for Hendry.

He should never have played him but once he did, he should have removed him at half-time.

The lad may struggle to recover from that game.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Hendry is one we will need to perservere with.  He has all the attributes of a modern centre half - pace, height and decent on the ball, at 26 he's still a year or two from his prime and he is one of the few right footed centre halfs we have. He should improve with experience and hopefully that will reduce rushes of blood to the head as per the Czech game.

The alternatives are either playing McTominay there which weakens the midfield or playing Gallagher or Hanley or playing a left footer on the right side. Gallagher and Hanley have their attributes but neither is quick enough to play right side of a back 3, both are more suited to the centre of the 3.

I don't see us going to a back 4 on Friday unless we go behind. Even then we just don't have a righ sided fullback good enough to play in a 4. We would be better switching Tierney to right back if we had to do that. I think we may regret taking Patterson rather than Palmer. Palmer was at least reliable and expierenced in a back 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, laukat said:

I think Hendry is one we will need to perservere with.  He has all the attributes of a modern centre half - pace, height and decent on the ball, at 26 he's still a year or two from his prime and he is one of the few right footed centre halfs we have. He should improve with experience and hopefully that will reduce rushes of blood to the head as per the Czech game.

The alternatives are either playing McTominay there which weakens the midfield or playing Gallagher or Hanley or playing a left footer on the right side. Gallagher and Hanley have their attributes but neither is quick enough to play right side of a back 3, both are more suited to the centre of the 3.

I don't see us going to a back 4 on Friday unless we go behind. Even then we just don't have a righ sided fullback good enough to play in a 4. We would be better switching Tierney to right back if we had to do that. I think we may regret taking Patterson rather than Palmer. Palmer was at least reliable and expierenced in a back 4.

Didn't realise Hendry was that old. Wow.

I think putting McTominay at the back strengthens the back 3 and the midfield, as I would put Gilmour in midfield and have McT, Tierney and Hanley at the back.

After the Czech game, there's no telling what Clarke will do.

I had 5 different starters to him in my preferred 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A shout out to Stephen O'Donnell for an excellent performance against England. So close to scoring a brilliant goal. Doing his Thistle roots proud.

It seems unfair to tag him with the "unlikely scorer" label. He has scored a good few for Thistle, Kilmarnock and Motherwell. One skill he does seem to have mastered is keeping his shots low and on target, when so many other "likely scorers" balloon them wildly over.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, partickthedog said:

A shout out to Stephen O'Donnell for an excellent performance against England. So close to scoring a brilliant goal. Doing his Thistle roots proud.

It seems unfair to tag him with the "unlikely scorer" label. He has scored a good few for Thistle, Kilmarnock and Motherwell. One skill he does seem to have mastered is keeping his shots low and on target, when so many other "likely scorers" balloon them wildly over.

Agree. It was clear in the post match interviews that both the manager and teammates felt he had been unfairly criticised after Monday's game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, BowenBoys said:

Now the situation is clear. Win tomorrow and progress is guaranteed. What can possibly go wrong?

Rhetorical question I'm sure but it hasn't stopped me preparing a list in my head.

Let's all use our 'one-time' for this game.

We get another before next season starts.

Edited by CotterJag
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BowenBoys said:

Now the situation is clear. Win tomorrow and progress is guaranteed. What can possibly go wrong?

here's  a further wish ,  a Scotland win any win and England don't get beat and group B and group C 3rds don't qualify ( Finland 3pts  -2 , Ukraine 3pts -1 ) which depends Spain winning and Poland beating Sweden ( Sweden 4pts +1)

 

THEN ITS A HAMPDEN PLAYING THE WINNER OF group E --  SPAIN 

 

there's more than a hint in those lines that confirms am a Partick Thistle supporter .

 

Here's the qualifiers list of ignominy with Scotland , Yugoslavia 74 , Holland 78 ( even Iran) , USSR 82 , Columbia 86, Brasil 90 ,  England 96 ,  Morocco 98 , --  lesser do or die games , Italy , Georgia etcetcetc .

oh no covid strike , they might be pulling a team from the pubs around Hampden for the game , take your boots boys and be ready with your vaccine card.

here's hoping they find some way 

Forza Scozia

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, redandyellowallover said:

I see Croatia were training at Firhill yesterday.

Hopefully Kingsley put the fear of god into them for tonight!

Hope Modric wasn't watching videos of Banzo. Don't want to give him any ideas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Going to bed now so that I can get up to watch the game live (k-o 4 am here).

You up yet?

......5 more minutes!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, CotterJag said:

You up yet?

......5 more minutes!

If I was you I would have a long lie in.....................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man, that ended up painful. Three matches, no wins, one goal scored, and five conceded (at home!)

And yet the reality is that this is the best Scotland team in years. We are years behind so many other nations.

Questions:

In his three matches, how many times did Dykes actually touch the ball? Did it reach double figures?

And during those three matches, what was the total duration of Dykes' time with the ball: Was it as long as 30 seconds?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, redandyellowallover said:

I see Croatia were training at Firhill yesterday.

 

Does that make us partly responsible for Scotland's defeat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Man, that ended up painful. Three matches, no wins, one goal scored, and five conceded (at home!)

And yet the reality is that this is the best Scotland team in years. We are years behind so many other nations.

Questions:

In his three matches, how many times did Dykes actually touch the ball? Did it reach double figures?

And during those three matches, what was the total duration of Dykes' time with the ball: Was it as long as 30 seconds?

I wondered if I could kick the ball as far as Adam can control it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 4 players in the team who are not at that level which obviously provides a problem when we play the better teams.

All 4 are hard working and 100% men but simply not good enough. They’ve done their job but should be replaced as long as there’s someone better to come in.

I hope Gilmour, Turnbull and Patterson can fill the gaps but we desperately need a striker with pace, control, attitude, physicality and finishing skills.

Can Nisbet continue his improvement?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Man, that ended up painful. Three matches, no wins, one goal scored, and five conceded (at home!)

And yet the reality is that this is the best Scotland team in years. We are years behind so many other nations.

Questions:

In his three matches, how many times did Dykes actually touch the ball? Did it reach double figures?

And during those three matches, what was the total duration of Dykes' time with the ball: Was it as long as 30 seconds?

Dykes first touch was truly abysmal - you see better ball control down the local 5-a-side pitches -  apart from winning lots of headers from long punted balls he was rank rotten with his feet & could not do that basic of thing use his strength to hold the ball up consistently  - he absolutely didn’t look like a centre forward - standard of defences he plays against must gash - paired with another centre forward in Adams who, once in the box, played as if his bootlaces were tied together. A couple of highly probable diving headers last night passed up for Jackie Chan style high flying kicks which missed the ball entirely. 

Truth be told not many positives apart from qualifying:

- First goal … central defender getting out jumped by Perisic who knocked it down to an unmarked runner

- Second goal … the worked the ball side to side & we let them do it largely unchallenged, sinking deeper until they could line up modric on the D

- Third goal - Perisic getting a run at the front post and a free header with no-one either covering the front post ball or anyone on the posts

Back to the drawing board.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What disappointed me most was the poor defending in the 3 games.  I'd hoped we would at least be difficult to beat and we weren't. A half decent England performance and we would have lost that one too.  Gilmour's  performance in that game was a positive in a tournament that was ultimately disappointing. 

Edited by fifexile
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having a midfielder (McTominay) and a left back (Teirney) in the back 3 was brutally exposed last night. They are not central defenders.  I still don't know how to encorporate Teirney and Robertson in the same team, but this isn't the answer against better sides. Upfront, Adam and Dykes are simply not good enough. As someone said above, lets hope that Nisbet |(and Shankland) can find something as we will never do anything without a striker that provides some sort of threat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Having a midfielder (McTominay) and a left back (Teirney) in the back 3 was brutally exposed last night. They are not central defenders.  I still don't know how to encorporate Teirney and Robertson in the same team, but this isn't the answer against better sides. Upfront, Adam and Dykes are simply not good enough. As someone said above, lets hope that Nisbet |(and Shankland) can find something as we will never do anything without a striker that provides some sort of threat.

Abosolutely correct.  3 at the back and 2 up front is not good enough for this level.

We also need to more flexible in our formation. After 45 minutes we should have moved from a 3-5-3 to a 4-5-1 and man marked modric in midfield. However the players we have don't allow for that. O'Donnell as a right back as opposed to a right wing back would be high risk, with gilmour injured we only really had 1 defensive minded midfilder in McGregor and up front both strikers look like they need a partner.

We should be looking to develop a team that plays either 4-2-3-1 or 4-5-1 to utilise Gilmour and McGregor in midfield and move to a possession based game. That will require a decision to be made on Tierney's position. Either he is the left sided centre back or he needs to go to right back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×