Jump to content

javeajag

January Transfer Window

Recommended Posts

30 minutes ago, Auld Jag said:

Agree, if he doesn't move this month he will leave at the end of the season and all we will get will be training compensation iirc. We will need somebody into replace him if he goes this month and we already need back up for him and Graham, so would best if he moved in the next week to give us time to get a replacement in.

Don’t even get training comp if he moves to England

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Don’t even get training comp if he moves to England

Realistically, how much do you think we would get for Zak Rudden  in the last 6 months of his contract 40 or 50k with a percentage going to Rangers

It doesn’t make much sense to let him go just now, got a better chance of promotion if Zak Rudden is still around.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Realistically, how much do you think we would get for Zak Rudden  in the last 6 months of his contract 40 or 50k with a percentage going to Rangers

It doesn’t make much sense to let him go just now, got a better chance of promotion if Zak Rudden is still around.

That would very much depend on who replaced him. I know it is not everything, but 13 goals in 34 games is not a tough target to match

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Realistically, how much do you think we would get for Zak Rudden  in the last 6 months of his contract 40 or 50k with a percentage going to Rangers

It doesn’t make much sense to let him go just now, got a better chance of promotion if Zak Rudden is still around.

I agree.

If it’s under 50k it’s not worth it unless we have a replacement. We’d be really struggling for strikers as Graham has 1 good game in 3/4 and McIver and Smith don’t look as though they’re good enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

The fact that Rudden hasn't signed an offer of a new contract that seemingly has been on the table for a while, tells me he wants to be somewhere else next season. We should take a half decent offer for him and move on.

I'd hope most of our younger players would like to be somewhere else next season. That's just called ambition. Always assuming that the "somewhere else" is a club playing at a higher level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

The fact that Rudden hasn't signed an offer of a new contract that seemingly has been on the table for a while, tells me he wants to be somewhere else next season. We should take a half decent offer for him and move on.

Only if we can sign someone better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

I agree.

If it’s under 50k it’s not worth it unless we have a replacement. We’d be really struggling for strikers as Graham has 1 good game in 3/4 and McIver and Smith don’t look as though they’re good enough.

Still think McIver is worth a run in the team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

That would very much depend on who replaced him. I know it is not everything, but 13 goals in 34 games is not a tough target to match

Who’ve you got in mind , who is proven at our level ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

Who’ve you got in mind , who is proven at our level ?

I am not involved in football, so I have no idea who is available. I can guarantee that out there is a player who would provide a better return if our scouts can find them.

 

edit to add that you don’t have to look far in our history to find proven scorers who were gash when they pull on a red and yellow shirt, so previous form counts for very little 

Edited by Dick Dastardly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does it make sense to view strikers' records without considering who is partnering them or providing them with the opportunities to score? Judging by the evidence of the Hamilton game, it seemed to me that Connor Murray and Zak Rudden had a good understanding, as did Scott Tiffoney and Brian Graham. Watching Rudden and Graham together, though, seems to suggest that they're not gelling in the same way.

Edited by Fearchar
Misspelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fearchar said:

Does it make sense to view strikers' records without considering who is partnering them or prividing them with the opportunities to score? Judging by the evidence of the Hamilton game, it seemed to me that Connor Murray and Zak Rudden had a good understanding, as did Scott Tiffoney and Brian Graham. Watching Rudden and Graham together, though, seems to suggest that they're not gelling in the same way.

Re the Rudden/Graham partnership. I feel they've been given enough game time together now to suggest they're unlikely to form some sort of formidable double act. That's not to say they're both not valuable players. It's more that playing two up top doesn't suit our style of play. Or more correctly doesn't suit the style of play we try to play. We've a good few midfielders that are good on the ball but miss out too often due to long balls. Put another way neither Rudden nor Graham need to start every game to prove their worth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

The fact that Rudden hasn't signed an offer of a new contract that seemingly has been on the table for a while, tells me he wants to be somewhere else next season. We should take a half decent offer for him and move on.

That sounds about right, given that in terms of overall performance he's been no more than a half-decent striker for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Re the Rudden/Graham partnership. I feel they've been given enough game time together now to suggest they're unlikely to form some sort of formidable double act. That's not to say they're both not valuable players. It's more that playing two up top doesn't suit our style of play. Or more correctly doesn't suit the style of play we try to play. We've a good few midfielders that are good on the ball but miss out too often due to long balls. Put another way neither Rudden nor Graham need to start every game to prove their worth.

Interesting post, as was the Fearchar one above.

Ive been trying to work out why both main strikers' form is so inconsistent. Examining partnerships could well be the answer. Bone and Coulston. Craig and Somner . McAdam and Melrose. Anyone since?

Im always concerned that when we play a sole striker he gets isolated as the 'number 10' does not seem to compliment. Lawless could perhaps have filled this role. Smith has been tried in this role and produced nothing. Perhaps Murray could fill the gap.  But could he work with Graham ? 

If we lose Rudden I think we need a striker and a number 10 to replace him. 

Last word on Mc Iver. He could probably play as a duel striker with Graham which would match our style of play. His lay offs and aerial prowess are great but I wouldnt trust him to stick the ball in the pokey from a yard out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Dick Dastardly said:

That would very much depend on who replaced him. I know it is not everything, but 13 goals in 34 games is not a tough target to match

I'm surprised that any Thistle fan thinks this. A better than 1 in 3 striker is certainly a rarity for us, we've had countless strikers over the past 10 years or so that have got nowhere near 1 in 3.

In fact, 1 in 3 is a decent return for any striker. Doolan was "only" ever a 1 in 3 striker, for example.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, JAG1970 said:

Still think McIver is worth a run in the team

 

9 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

That's my thinking too.

As I have said I think there is a player in there so I agree with the above. A minimum of 6 successive games to get him up to speed and build confidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, exiledjag said:

 

As I have said I think there is a player in there so I agree with the above. A minimum of 6 successive games to get him up to speed and build confidence.

Rather surprisingly, McIver is actually better than Graham at the technical things that Graham is supposed to be good at, like winning headers against tall strong defenders, holding the ball up and laying it off to other players.

What he lacks so far is the combination of luck, craft and experience which enables Graham to be in the right place at the right time with the right finish to score a very healthy number of goals. Experience takes time to replicate, craft can be instilled through training and learning, and hopefully luck can turn. 

Graham also has great self-belief and a positive mindset. I do not know enough about McIver to comment on that aspect, but no doubt banging in a few goals would not do him any harm! Just hope that we do not have to wait too long for this undoubted potential to be fulfilled. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a rumour that mciver was supposed to be joining a team in Ireland this month.

jyst a rumour though and doesn’t look to be happening now

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If we do value McIver then a loan spell down a division may not be a bad option. Of course it's a numbers thing and we'd have to bring another striker/forward in. Plus it would likely depend on Rudden staying.

He does get dazzled in the headlights in front of goal, but as partick the dog says he does the other things rather well. By and large the lad hasn't really been an effective impact sub, tho' I gotta feeling he may be decent enough coming on to play in wider position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how many mins McIver has had or how many games he has actually started but it cant be many.

He needs to start matches to have any chance of getting up to speed, just not sure if McCall will take that chance, he always seems to do reasonably well when called upon just needs game time maybe to improve his sharpness in front of goal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Yeah! Unless there is a certain date on it, like Nouble at Arbroath. 

Don't forget we are £350k adrift of the rest of the clubs in this league? Could mean more wheeling and dealing which tales time!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×