Transfer Targets? Who we getting in and who would you fancy that’s out of contract.

Thistle88

3 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Seemingly as a coach not as a player 

Reading the Killie website and what his role will entail I can’t see him having time really to be a player anywhere.

plus his quote about having had a chance to have a rethink about continuing as a player after saying previously he would carry on as a player makes it further unlikely I feel 

Edited by Third Lanark

37 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

We seam to be taking our time about signing Fitzpatrick or letting him go................

I understand it’s to do with queen of the south refusing to release his player registration until they get a compensation amount they have set.

I do not know the ins and outs of the legality of it but it’s clear the player himself wishes to play for Partick Thistle and the delay is with Queen of the South

Rangers youngster Tony Weston joins Thistle as Jags close in on three more signings | Glasgow Times

The Jags travel to Rugby Park tomorrow night for their second outing in the group stages of the Premier Sports Cup and Herald and Times Sport understands that the Jags expect to have completed another signing before the match gets under way.

The Championship club are pressing on with their transfer activity as McCall applies the finishing touches to his squad, and a further two new recruits are expected to have joined the Jags by the end of the week.

Thistle Weir Youth Academy graduate Aidan Fitzpatrick remains on trial at Firhill and McCall is hopeful of thrashing out compensation with previous club Queen of the South, who are entitled to a cut of the development fee.

The Jags have been heavily linked with a loan move for Rangers midfielder Cole McKinnon and speaking last week, McCall explained the areas of the squad he is looking to strengthen. The Thistle boss is after “a couple of wide players, some cover in defence and a striker”, as well as a central midfielder.

I don't think he really has. However, he has obviously developed a good business relationship with them, and in terms of the loanees we have got, it sometimes works out and sometimes doesn't. That's tends to be the way of it with all loan deals though.

Interesting quote from McCall in this article  Rangers transfer exit nears as Partick Thistle 'keen' on starlet with done deal 'very close' - Glasgow Live

McCall said: "I am pretty sure there will be another one, possibly two, in the squad for Wednesday.

"I can't really talk about them yet but one of them is close, and another is 99.9% done. That would mean we are close to where we want to be, maybe short of a striker and a defender.

"I don't think it's a secret that he (McKinnon) is one we are very keen on. That is very close."

The quote above is meant to be after Weston signed. If McKinnon is the one that's close and Fitzpatrick the one that's 99.9% done then that still means he's looking at a striker and a defender beyond those.

So does that mean we'll have 4 strikers this season? 

19 minutes ago, laukat said:

Interesting quote from McCall in this article  Rangers transfer exit nears as Partick Thistle 'keen' on starlet with done deal 'very close' - Glasgow Live

McCall said: "I am pretty sure there will be another one, possibly two, in the squad for Wednesday.

"I can't really talk about them yet but one of them is close, and another is 99.9% done. That would mean we are close to where we want to be, maybe short of a striker and a defender.

"I don't think it's a secret that he (McKinnon) is one we are very keen on. That is very close."

The quote above is meant to be after Weston signed. If McKinnon is the one that's close and Fitzpatrick the one that's 99.9% done then that still means he's looking at a striker and a defender beyond those.

So does that mean we'll have 4 strikers this season? 

We need 4 strikers- we saw how we struggled with Graham injured and Rudden away.

if we have 2 injured we would only have Westin so we clearly need backup

10 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

We need 4 strikers- we saw how we struggled with Graham injured and Rudden away.

if we have 2 injured we would only have Westin so we clearly need backup

Repeating myself (once again :)) but if McCall is going with one up top then a fourth striker isn't an absolute priority. Yes we struggled without a fourth striker last season but that was largely due to not having width (playing central midfielders out wide). We were almost forced into playing two up top in what was an unbalanced line up. Our best player, Tiffoney, was often marginalised due to that set up.  

I think there's likely to be many more goals from an attacking midfield three from Lawless, Turner, Tiffoney, Fitzpatrick(?), AN Other(?) than from a third and fourth striker.  Playing say a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1 formation (like on Saturday) will effectively mean a fair amount of bench time for a third striker never mind s fourth. Striker No 4 could be very rusty if/when called upon. So I'd make another attacking wide type midfielder with pace much more of a priority than a fourth striker.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Repeating myself (once again :)) but if McCall is going with one up top then a fourth striker isn't an absolute priority. Yes we struggled without a fourth striker last season but that was largely due to not having width (playing central midfielders out wide). We were almost forced into playing two up top in what was an unbalanced line up. Our best player, Tiffoney, was often marginalised due to that set up.  

I think there's likely to be many more goals from an attacking midfield three from Lawless, Turner, Tiffoney, Fitzpatrick(?), AN Other(?) than from a third and fourth striker.  Playing say a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1 formation (like on Saturday) will effectively mean a fair amount of bench time for a third striker never mind s fourth. Striker No 4 could be very rusty if/when called upon. So I'd make another attacking wide type midfielder with pace much more of a priority than a fourth striker.    

I feel that Graham as an older striker, cannot be guaranteed for every game. Weston performed very well at a much lower level, but he is now going to be playing at a higher one. We do not ‘know’ him yet-the vision of ‘Alegria’ still lingers-the last Rangers young loanee striker we had. And, the other striker is also new to us.  If we had two strikers who we knew very well, had played together/separately  previously, regularly getting goals, it ‘might’ make a difference. ‘Might’ but, who knows. Perhaps the 4th could be a player who could play in another position in addition to striker. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Pretty much how I see it. We don't really have wide midfielders that we can play and its hard to see how we are not going to regularly play 2 from Tiffoney, Lawless and Fitzpatrick (if he signs) so that pretty much dictates the formation will mainly be 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1. 4 strikers for 1 starting spot would suggest 1 is not going to see much game time.

On the other hand if another striker is coming in perhaps it suggests Weston is striker no 4 and a cheap backup option? McCall did say he thought he could play anywhere across the front 3 so perhaps he is cheap cover at striker and as an emergency winger

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

Starting to get concerned about Tiffoney. Injured again and missed a chunk of last season.

He will certainly be a key player for us, if we’re to be the best we can be. And, if he’s out, it will be a huge miss. That happened last season with Graham too at the end, when we were forced, through lack of alternatives, to turn to Jakobiak and Alegria, who we knew in our hearts couldn’t cut it. 

23 minutes ago, denismcquadeno.eleven said:

He will certainly be a key player for us, if we’re to be the best we can be. And, if he’s out, it will be a huge miss. That happened last season with Graham too at the end, when we were forced, through lack of alternatives, to turn to Jakobiak and Alegria, who we knew in our hearts couldn’t cut it. 

Can see Milne bombing up the left wi g to supply Graham.