Tuesday's results

exiledjag

Cove 3 - 1 Dundee                                          Queens Park 1 - 2  Morton 

Tuesday nights  results are IMO unexpected.  I did think  Cove might sneak a draw against an inconsistent Dundee side but thought that after our 5 - 1 defeat of Morton on Saturday Queens were sure to pick up 3 points.

There is no doubt we should have beaten Cove but last night's results make our results against Cove and Morton look even better.

Now if we can beat ICT on Friday we will put a little more daylight between ourselves and the rest.

1 hour ago, allyo said:

At this stage of the season I never tend to second guess what is a good or a bad result for us in the longer term. But on the face of it these certainly seem positive.

Very good point. I mind in our title winning season we thrashed Livi 7-0. Coming away from the ground we were even more chuffed to hear that Morton were two goals up at East End Pk. The Pars managed to get a couple of late goals to share the points and we thought that unfortunate. Of course favourites Dunfermline went on to leave the league at the wrong end whilst Morton went on to be our major challengers. If we had got our wish that day it would've meant another two points to claw back from Morton. Just checked and these fixtures took place in late October.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Very good point. I mind in our title winning season we thrashed Livi 7-0. Coming away from the ground we were even more chuffed to hear that Morton were two goals up at East End Pk. The Pars managed to get a couple of late goals to share the points and we thought that unfortunate. Of course favourites Dunfermline went on to leave the league at the wrong end whilst Morton went on to be our major challengers. If we had got our wish that day it would've meant another two points to claw back from Morton. Just checked and these fixtures took place in late October.

It was Airdrie we thrashed 7-0. We "only" beat Livi 6-1.

• Like 2

Agree with all of the above. I think the point I was leading to was that to gain the maximum from these results a win on Friday v ICT would be great. Nothing more.

I do though have one or two concerns.

It is inevitable (I think) that we will have a run of poor results and that challengers will have a run of good results. My concern is does this squad have the character and mental strength to regain the momentum?

My other concern is our manager's ongoing belief in Smith over other players such as Turner. IMO  Smith contributes nothing to the team and has had a more than fair chance to show what he can fo and has failed. IMC needs to make a decision here. We can't go up against, for example  the likes of Aberdeen,  ICT, & Dundee with a passenger in the team.

3 hours ago, exiledjag said:

Agree with all of the above. I think the point I was leading to was that to gain the maximum from these results a win on Friday v ICT would be great. Nothing more.

I do though have one or two concerns.

It is inevitable (I think) that we will have a run of poor results and that challengers will have a run of good results. My concern is does this squad have the character and mental strength to regain the momentum?

My other concern is our manager's ongoing belief in Smith over other players such as Turner. IMO  Smith contributes nothing to the team and has had a more than fair chance to show what he can fo and has failed. IMC needs to make a decision here. We can't go up against, for example  the likes of Aberdeen,  ICT, & Dundee with a passenger in the team.

I hope I am wrong, but I think that Smith starting last week was more down to Tiffoney not being 100% fit and Fitzpatrick not showing up the week before.   
Turner,Bannigan and McKinnon now seem to be vying for two positions. Any two starting works, I think.

2 hours ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

Last night's results showed that this is such a poor standard of league that anyone seems to be able to beat anyone. Look at our two poor results at home to Accies and Cove!

I wasn’t at the Hamilton game, so can’t really comment on the performance then. But vs Cove, I really think it was complacency in the 2nd half. That combined with not taking the gilt edged chances we created in the 1st half. But, if you don’t concentrate for the full game you can get hurt.

I think it is still too early to say who the definitive favorites are.   The league will probably be tight.  Surprising to see Arbroath where they are but maybe after punching above their weight so long gravity is taking hold.

We have had a great start to the season. No doubt there will be some bad unexpected results but ewe have to minimize them and back the team.  Despite last season’s collapse I am still optimistic.

7 hours ago, Cfirejkl said:

I think it is still too early to say who the definitive favorites are.   The league will probably be tight.  Surprising to see Arbroath where they are but maybe after punching above their weight so long gravity is taking hold.

We have had a great start to the season. No doubt there will be some bad unexpected results but ewe have to minimize them and back the team.  Despite last season’s collapse I am still optimistic.

No need to be so sheepish!

A large part of last season's collapse was due to inability to put out a balanced side. No attacking threat down the right flank. Even if there's a worry about our quality in depth, which I don't believe is as bad as some were making out, we should always be able to match position for position and not be unbalanced. Slight worry that Mr McCall sometimes selects player over position but maybe when he does it'll baffle the opposition as much as it does us.

4 hours ago, dl1971 said:

So we are not serious contenders? If not, who is....

Would Arbroath say “nah we’re not contenders” ?

Way too early to talk about who is and isn’t going to be in the mix in May. We have made a good start, but every team has a sticky spell at some time. Let’s wait to see how ours plays out. 

8 hours ago, dl1971 said:

I like that wait and see philosophy. Bear that it mind if we do loose the occasional game. As for serious contenders it's pretty obvious we are, unless of course the league table lies....

I think it is worth bearing in mind that ICT were way ahead after 9 games last season. We had had a pretty strong start too - 15pts from 9 games. Lose tonight and we are only 2points better off. Win and we are still 2 pts behind where 3rd place finished last season. 

2 hours ago, Gary Peebles Tackle said:

It’s not just the league table, it’s watching the games. 
I don’t think anyone can touch us on our day. We’ll not win every game, we’ll get injuries, suspensions & dodgy decisions against us, but there is no other team I fear.

3 points tonight would be tremendous.

I agree with this.

At the moment it's all about the Jags. I mean that if we turn up with the right attitude there is no team in this league we should fear. We must though apply ourselves and do so gor 90 mins.

I also agree that it's too early in the season to be thinking about titles. I do though expect much from ICT and I am waiting  on  Dundee to get their act together (or get a new manager). When you consider there is also Raith, Ayr, Queens and Arbroath the league looks competitive to me. Queens are showing some consistency, Arbroath are staring to win agsin and still have a couple of big players to come back into the team, Raith can take points off everyone but are inconsistent and Ayr might be slipping a little.

Everything up for grass. 3 points tonight would be great but if ICT play well, which I think they will, I would be happy with what would be a good point.