Thistle v QP

Albert's Ghost

7 minutes ago, dl1971 said:

We chucked it went second went in. Our lack of pace very apparent all over the park. Subs made no difference at all. A very bad day. 

We certainly did. QP won’t get an easier 45 all season. We were ok in the first half but wasteful in the final third. Thought Smith as a replacement for the injured Tiffoney was bizarre.

Instead of incorrectly lambasting refs after games as “out of their depth for the championship” IMC could put his hand up today and accept responsibility for an utterly shambolic performance. 

• Like 2

Sadly Brownlie looks completely finished

Mitchell back in now please.  I fear Akeneymi will score for fun against us on Tuesday 

Smith has brought nothing to the club since the day he joined.  I only hope we tried to move him on in the summer and he refused otherwise McCalls persistence with him is shocking.  As it is disgraceful decision to put him on instead of Fitzpatrick 

Dont know what’s happened with Dowds but has offered absolutely nothing up front this week

For me that was a weird game. For the first 10 minutes or so Queens Park had the majority of the ball and a few chances. After that we came more into it and then missed the penalty. A few minutes later they scored and after that we then had the majority of the ball in the first half. We then conceded 2 in a 5 minute spell, game over. 

57 minutes ago, Dick Dastardly said:

Let’s end the Turner love in. He may have a good set piece, but otherwise he’s a liability.

Likewise Sneddon has had his chance and let in 8.

Indeed. Turner missed a glorious chance in the first half in front of goal but wanted an unnecessary extra touch, and was a bad as anyone else today. He was on the post at the corner for the second and let it fly over his head.

I’m not defending Sneddon but neither were the back four! 

We had 2 central defenders on the bench today and instead started the a fullback in central defence. I get Brownlie might struggle for 90 minutes and Akinola is out of form but its better than playing a player out of position.

Today's midfield performance only emphasised the job Ross Docherty does. Bannigan was great at running about but he always looks like he's making a last gasp challenge because his defence positional sense isn't as good as Docherty. Mackinnon hasn't kicked a ball since he was away from the U21's. Turner looked fine when attacking in the first 45 but completely lost  in the second half when he was required to do more defensive work. 

First 45 we played well and if we had went in 4-1 up I don't think Queen's could have complained. Second half was a complete capitulation and Queens could have scored 6.

I assume Hodson was injured and that didn't help but the game was over as soon as Tiffoney goes off to be replaced by Smith. I can kind of understand McCall's reluctance to go with Fitzpatrick when Tiffoney got injured but stick Weston on. At least he has pace and tries. Its just not working at Firhill for Cammy Smith. His presence on the park is now a signal that we've given up.

Every sub made in the second half made the team poorer. Dowds did ok but when he came on we were playing with only 2 in midfield and couldn't get the ball. Fitzpatrick has been a big disappointment and seems to be regressing, Mullen barely touched the ball, Brownlie couldn't get up to the pace of the game and struggled without any midfield to protect him.

I like McCall but today's team selection was bizarre and the subs were terrible. Every season he has a game or two were he tries to be too clever so I hope thats him got that out of his system for this season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I had to watch from abroad with a poor internet connection. The pitch didn’t look very good (not an excuse, more a worry) for those at the match was it a bad as it looked?

Pitch was near perfect. The extra rain on the surface helped players ping the ball around and creating some nice passing moves.

1 hour ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Just back from that, inept and toothless.

Dreading Ayr on tuesday!

QP should have been at least 3 up in the first half.

I thought we were probably the better team for the majority of the 1st half. We made a number of chances that were blocked. No doubt the missed penalty, quickly followed by their goal was hard to recover from. The 2nd half was a capitulation.

It seems to be the way of things in this league that there are results that pop up you would not expect - us thrashing ICT & Morton, QP thrashing Ayr,  Accies beating ICT away, etc. The important thing is the reaction when these come around. Morton responded well to their defeat by us as did ICT earlier in the season so it is up to us to do the same. A win or draw on Tuesday and we are back top of the table so things are not as bad as they appear (although I appreciate that after losing 4-0 that does not exactly make dinner taste any better).

51 minutes ago, Jimmy McD said:

What was McCall thinking about when he put Smith on for Tiffony  when Fitzpatrick would have been a direct replacement .. the mind boggles..

My mind was still boggled from bringing on Brownlee but Smith ahead of Fitzpatrick for Tiffoney would've been the right decision had we been two or three goals up. With us trailing it was just plain daft. Also, even tho' it was always going to be temporary, playing both Dowds & Graham upfront was never going to work when we were second to every ball as it was.  

This is now a test of the manager.

Some injuries to our best players

Some loss of form

Some untried fringe players

Some apparent lack of effort 

2 successive humpings

Continued lack of incision around the box

Football management is not an easy ride. Come on McCall, show everyone you’ve got it.

9 minutes ago, Weebaw1 said:

He enjoys a wee jog when he gets a game. It provides his exercise for the week.

Does Fitzpatrick actually get embarrassed by his laziness which I’m sure the manager will have pointed out? If he hasn’t then I’m sure Graham will have.

I was watching in disbelief as he was dispossessed by their number 20 who then disappeared towards our penalty box with fat Fitzy strolling along admiring the run. That’s why Smith came on ahead of him.

McCall should show him(and other miscreants) the work rate of QP, especially their number 10 who was still up and down the pitch at the end. Then he may be embarrassed.