McCall needs removed PRONTO

Bobbyhouston

3 minutes ago, thestreets said:

who do you suggest to replace him?

Not Archibald, Danny Lennon or Brian Graham anyway.  
Preferably see someone with no Thistle connection.  However I would fully expect Gerry Britton to bring in a thistle pal like them or Jim Duffy

Not Doolan either - he’s just in the door though if things go well a few years then hopefully 

1 hour ago, 1876 said:

When is his contract up 

It is a rolling contract, probably 1 year. Most managers are on rolling contracts. So no matter how long we leave it, it will always cost 1 year wages. Unless he has a performance clause in the contract.

If no clause and we can’t afford it or can’t negotiate a deal, then he has a job for life.

9 hours ago, dibble said:

For those calling for McCall to go right now who are you suggesting would do a better job 

You tell me who is interested and what their contract demands are and I’ll tell you who I would pick. Are you suggesting that until we have a candidate who everyone agrees on then McCall has a job for life ?

The fact is that McCall’s position is becoming untenable. Yes there is a risk and uncertainty with any new manager, but that should not be a reason for keeping the current failures.

13 hours ago, dibble said:

For those calling for McCall to go right now who are you suggesting would do a better job 

I guess by that you're meaning who's affordable who's either available or wouldn't cost much to buy out his contract?

A good question and for me nobody immediately springs to mind. One reason I'm asking if McCall is definitely on a rolling contract? Another unknown is whether his contract contains a minimum attainment clause. Could be a situation or two where it would be a financial folly to terminate just now.

Other unknowns are the willingness and/or ability of our present interim Board to terminate and appoint managers. They've enough on their plate as it is. I guess there's more to it than the fact McCall's time should be up.

As a matter of interest, dibble, would you have a name in mind yourself re an immediate successor? 

I've no idea what McCall's contract looks like, but if it is a 12 month rolling one as has been suggested, then it might mean that (a) he can be paid on a monthly basis for that period, and (b) there might be a clause that if he finds a new job within the 12 months the payments are reduced or ended.

If the Board decides on a change of manager, TJF montly income could possibly be used to fund that if other claims on it are deemed to be less important.  TJF may find that if it is understood by fans that their income is being used in that way, membership might increase.

The good news is that we don't have to rush into appointing a new manager, and we have until the end of the season to choose one.  As I have said already, I would prefer a complete outsider to Scottish football, and avoid ex-Jags and the other Scottish managers that circulate between Scottish clubs.

2 hours ago, eljaggo said:

I've no idea what McCall's contract looks like, but if it is a 12 month rolling one as has been suggested, then it might mean that (a) he can be paid on a monthly basis for that period, and (b) there might be a clause that if he finds a new job within the 12 months the payments are reduced or ended.

If the Board decides on a change of manager, TJF montly income could possibly be used to fund that if other claims on it are deemed to be less important.  TJF may find that if it is understood by fans that their income is being used in that way, membership might increase.

The good news is that we don't have to rush into appointing a new manager, and we have until the end of the season to choose one.  As I have said already, I would prefer a complete outsider to Scottish football, and avoid ex-Jags and the other Scottish managers that circulate between Scottish clubs.

Spit on. Ayr went down south for Lee Bullen and they are way ahead of where most people thought they'd be.

8 hours ago, Cfirejkl said:

Ian Cathro

he is still young!

Probably the epitome of a great coach but poor manager. I know from a good friend that he was held in very high regard at Wolves. Wouldn't be surprised if he can demand a wage higher than any manager in Scotland bar the OF.

Unearthing a coach with his potential imo is the way to go. Obviously we also need a manager. The latter to deal with the non coaching side and head up some sort of scouting network. I wouldn't rule McCall out of that position, if not by choice then down to financial restrictions. That certainly doesn't mean that the manager gets to select the head coach. 

I've nothing to back up my theory that a lot of decent young coaches are lost to the game as they cannot hack the management side of things. It does tho' stand to reason that a coach who was still a player recently will struggle with the man management side of things. Dealing with players' contracts won't necessarily come naturally, particularly  if he's left that side of things up to his agent. I know from personal experience when I became a manager the hardest part of my job was dealing with those subordinate to me.

One of the advantages of this Manager/Head Coach set up is in continuity. If one leaves we don't go back to square one. But by far the biggest advantage is avoiding the good manager/poor coach or poor manager/good coach syndrome we're all to familiar with.