Dundee Utd Vs Partick Thistle - Viaplay Cup group B

elevenone

1 hour ago, Big Col said:

Message to Messrs Holt and Docherty - 

GIRFUY.

Come on now let's not be like this.

Docherty and Holt were good signings for us and gave good service. I admit to being not totally convinced about Docherty but Holt was outstanding as a Jag.

If anyone deserves this sort of response it's probably Tiffoney who allegedly signed  for Dundee 3 weeks prior to the Ross County game and kept it quiet!

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Garscube Road End 2 said:

When we get McMillan back we will be even stronger. Especially if him and Lawless gel like last season when Dools came in.

Very true but it's good to see Young Zander doing a grand job as a stand in. From what I've seen of him he looks like he'd be capable of covering for Milne on the other flank as well.

Good atmosphere tonight considering it wasn't the biggest of crowds. The short crust bridie wasn't bad either.

4 minutes ago, exiledjag said:

Come on now let's not be like this.

Docherty and Holt were good signings for us and gave good service. I admit to being not totally convinced about Docherty but Holt was outstanding as a Jag.

If anyone deserves this sort of response it's probably Tiffoney who allegedly signed  for Dundee 3 weeks prior to the Ross County game and kept it quiet!

Docherty and Holt were outstanding signings for Thistle.

Both gave nothing less that their all and that should be recognised as such.

• Like 4

Have been very pleased to see positive reports on Stanway and McKenzie.  Maybe I just don’t understand the “jump” these kids need to make, but it’s weird to think that two months ago Stanway was regarded as a loan player and McKenzie was just a lightly used sub - and suddenly both are earning pass marks or higher.

Add that to guys like Nisbet and you wonder if we shot ourselves in the foot all those years because we couldn’t accurately assess “readiness”….

Looking forward to Dools getting the most out of these kids.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Barney Rubble said:

Docherty and Holt were outstanding signings for Thistle.

Both gave nothing less that their all and that should be recognised as such.

I’ll agree with you about Holt. But last season Docherty regularly gave the ball away. And missed that crucial penalty. He’s no great loss.

They both left to join United, a team we beat tonight, which is beautiful.

Docherty was someone I always wanted more from.. 3 games last season I thought well aye that’s why he’s captain. Was like a ghost when things weren’t going well though.

Thought Graham completely showed him up on what a captain should be tonight. Complete stand out along with McKenzie, Stanway and also Williamson. 

Earlly doors and a lot to improve on.. but the shape and work rate tonight were brilliant.

6 hours ago, Grubber8468 said:

#PTFCStatsWatch 👀

- Thistle defeat Dundee United in a cup match for the first time since 1975, when they also won 2-1 in a League Cup group game. That was actually the last year that the Jags reached the semi final stage of the competition. 🇧🇪 🏆

3 hours ago, Camallain said:

When was the last time we actually beat Dundee United in a cup game. I simply can’t think of one 🤔 (apart from the Tennents sixes 😂)

There you go. :)

• Like 1

Away on holiday just now, so restricted to listening on JagZone and watching JagZone highlights. Apart from the 10 minute spell leading up to the Dundee Utd goal when we seemed to be pushed back and finding it difficult to get out, looks like we were well in the game all the way through. 

Our first goal was a very neat move and finish, and the second owed much to a perfect cross from Stevie Lawless. Everyone played their part and even Anton Dowds had more impact on the game than has been his norm of late.

I make that 3 away wins in a row in Dundee (adding to the 2 league victories over Dundee last season). Is that a record?

Completed a rare family double last night.

Back in the 2016-2017 season a Dundee United supporting client invited me to corporate hospitality at Tannadice for a game v Thistle. Kris Doolan made my day by scoring the winner, though I had to restrain my celebrations. A member of my family was in the same position in the Directors Box last night!

1 minute ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

If this is true you could not fault his commitment during the play off games.  He gave 100%.

Agreeing with that. In same position as Chris Erskine in 2013 (though that was made public). Again the fact that he was going elsewhere at the end of the season did not affect his commitment to the cause.

23 minutes ago, partickthedog said:

Agreeing with that. In same position as Chris Erskine in 2013 (though that was made public). Again the fact that he was going elsewhere at the end of the season did not affect his commitment to the cause.

A low key example, was Williamson in the L1 championship season. It was an open secret that he'd signed a pre-contract with Falkirk when it looked like they would go up and we might not make the play-offs.

He went on to play an important role in overhauling Falkirk, including an assist (great cross) for Rudden for the first against Falkirk in the clincher which ultimately helped ensure that he would be playing L1 football again the next season.

18 hours ago, JeanieD said:

Back in 1971 there was no preferential treatment for the "bigger" clubs, there was no seeding to give the "bigger clubs" an easier ride into the latter stages to which they have already been parachuted in the first place - there was also no nonsense like 5 team groups (with all the potential for "manufactured" results that that could bring) and no bonus points for penalty kick winners. In my view the competition itself has been devalued by these changes and that, as a cup competition, it certainly isn't what it used to be - mind you neither is the so called "Champions League" which is as far away from  the format of the old European Cup as the Viaplay Cup is from the old League Cup.

Perhaps these changes haven't exactly made it a "diddy" cup but they certainly haven't, in my view, enhanced it in comparison with its predecessor.   

I should also have added that in 1971 we played 12 games in order to win the trophy (it would have been 10 but for the "supplementary play-off round" against Alloa) - this year the probable winner will have played all of 4 ties - and yet, as has been stated above, it will potentially be heralded as part of a glorious "treble".

Edited by JeanieD

1 hour ago, QXBoy said:

What a GOOD WIN that was (unless your name is Goodwin).

One for veteran Private Eye readers. Today's online Record describe him as an "Ashen-faced Jim Goodwin". who was "showered with Dundee United fan fury"

Reminiscent of Ron Knee of Neasden FC facing the wrath of loyal fans Sid & Doris Bonkers. Just a tad surprised that Jim didn't appear "tight lipped".