Hearts Viaplay Cup - Sunday 20 August

jagfox

7 minutes ago, sabbath said:

My Turn. 

I Said McCall should have been sacked after the comments he made after the Falkirk game. But in typical thistle style we waited until there was a mountain to climb before the penny dropped. I voiced doubts on Dools appointment after the one game, and it is little wonder that the best performance we had was without Bannigan. The squad we had last year was well good enough, if only we had had a proper manager. I give Bannigan pelters for not performing as he should in such a critical position. for at present its a waste of a shirt and akin to playing with ten men. Perhaps a real manager would further his career, because what he is doing in training is not being shown on the pitch, as i say for such a critical position its simply not good enough for this level of football.

I'm not convinced its truly Dools or Archibald back in a Tom Cruise mask, but nothing seems to change. The shutters open a few days before the season starts, we bring in players once the season begins and pray to John Lambie in the sky they hit the ground running, or they're half as good as the sales pitch from their agent. Crystal Palace went with a proven track record irrespective of his age. Perhaps this is the time we do the same and hunt for a proper manager. Sure was it not the Lambie him self who said "there is no room for sentiment in football"  

So enlighten us. What proper or real ( sic ) manager is available, below pension age and within our budget and....how do you know they would be better. 

44 minutes ago, Woodstock Jag said:

The playing budget last season was already pre-committed by the time of the Rangers game. The transfer window had shut. In terms of money spent on the squad it was probably the second highest or highest in the league. I don't think it's unreasonable for a Club Board to expect results that deliver us a top 4 finish if that's what our playing budget is relative to the rest of the league.

It is reasonable to assume that this year's playing budget is (a) not as high as last year's and (b) premised on much more conservative and realistic assumptions about income and expenditure. This will in part be because of (c) the drastically reduced headroom on cashflow (caused by last year's losses) and (d) the knowledge that last year's original budgeting assumptions, which allowed a large playing budget to be committed, were a crock of shit.

If our budget is (say) the 5th highest in the league (I don't know if it is, but it would be a finger in the air guess) that comes with commensurately lower expectations about league performance.

Put another way, it is less reasonable to demand that a manager with the 5th largest budget in the league finishes in the top four than to demand it of a manager with the 2nd largest budget in the league.

-are you saying we had a larger Budget than Dundee &QP ?  Unlikely 

bottom line is we have No idea where out budget stood in relationship to other Clubs 

we were a point away from a top 4 finish in February - we actually scraped top 4 due to other results going our way on the last day of the Season - so very little changed 

in addition -can we stop rewriting History to suit the anti McCall Narrative and blaming the losses on McCalls budget - costs on Multi levels were far higher than they were under previous Boards hence the losses - it wasnt simply McCalls Player Budget - when the black hole was discovered at Xmas / why was there no cost cutting in non playing and other costs as is the norm ? 

that aside - rushing back from the cushy seats in the Rangers Directors Box -desperate to sack McCall would seem at best strange behaviour for any Football Club Board - the question is what was behind the desperate rush ?

No board in Scottish Football to my knowledge has ever acted in such a manner - those involved with the Ibrox Rush - should not in my opinion be involved in running the Club on any level 

1 minute ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

bottom line is we have No idea where out budget stood in relationship to other Clubs 

we were a point away from a top 4 finish in February - we actually scraped top 4 due to other results going our way on the last day of the Season - so very little changed 

in addition -can we stop rewriting History to suit the anti McCall Narrative and blaming the losses on McCalls budget - costs on Multi levels were far higher than they were under previous Boards hence the losses - it wasnt simply McCalls Player Budget - when the black hole was discovered at Xmas / why was there no cost cutting in non playing and other costs as is the norm ? 

that aside - rushing back from the cushy seats in the Rangers Directors Box -desperate to sack McCall would seem at best strange behaviour for any Football Club Board - the question is what was behind the desperate rush ? whilst TJF condemned how it had been handled - surely they should have been asking questions ?   

No board in Scottish Football to my knowledge has ever acted in such a manner - those involved with the Ibrox Rush - should not in my opinion be involved in running the Club on any level 

2 hours ago, javeajag said:

Im not sure you can compare the two … McCall came in when we were I free fall and got relegated , achieved promotion and had us in touch of the play off places.

Doolan took that forward and got us to the play off final ( and never much criticised for even though it was a disaster ) 

he has seen players leave and recruited as many but it’s a transition year so no matter what happens he gets a free pass ? 

No … if last season it was unacceptable not to be in the play off spot then the same applies this season 

Do you remember last season and how bad we were before Doolan took over 

Cove and Hamilton at home are still in my memory 

It’s not a free hit but if you want progression at a football club it doesn’t happen overnight 

If you remember when Jackie Mac took over , first season was mid table and then we progressed the following season and Archie got us over the line .

In terms of development of our Football Club as a whole this isn’t going to happen overnight or even in a season 

If we had gone up last season IMO we would have come straight back down as there was no infrastructure in place , we would have had to recruit  almost a new team as the majority of players we had aren’t good enough for the Premier League as was shown on Sunday at Tynecastle

Maybe Doolan overachieved last season taking us to the Final , there was no chance that would have happened under Ian McCall 

Think there has got to be a bit of perspective here .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabbath said:

My Turn. 

I Said McCall should have been sacked after the comments he made after the Falkirk game. But in typical thistle style we waited until there was a mountain to climb before the penny dropped. I voiced doubts on Dools appointment after the one game, and it is little wonder that the best performance we had was without Bannigan. The squad we had last year was well good enough, if only we had had a proper manager. I give Bannigan pelters for not performing as he should in such a critical position. for at present its a waste of a shirt and akin to playing with ten men. Perhaps a real manager would further his career, because what he is doing in training is not being shown on the pitch, as i say for such a critical position its simply not good enough for this level of football.

I'm not convinced its truly Dools or Archibald back in a Tom Cruise mask, but nothing seems to change. The shutters open a few days before the season starts, we bring in players once the season begins and pray to John Lambie in the sky they hit the ground running, or they're half as good as the sales pitch from their agent. Crystal Palace went with a proven track record irrespective of his age. Perhaps this is the time we do the same and hunt for a proper manager. Sure was it not the Lambie him self who said "there is no room for sentiment in football"  

Need to get a reality check Sabbath , not sure how to impress you 

Remember how bad and disjointed our Club was before Doolan took over last year 

MCCall polarised opinion and the majority thought his race was run and contradicting your Crystal Palace parallel, McCall has 30 yrs experience but it was certainly his time to move on

No idea why Doolan is getting criticised after 2 League Games , he surely must have some credit in the bank after how he turned our Club around last year 

Short memories 

1 hour ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Clearly less than Dundee but not wild to say it was at least in the same ballpark as QP.

To say we have “no idea” is not accurate. We can’t say exact figures but it’s very obvious that our budget was substantially higher than that of most Clubs in the division last year.

This informed the stated expectations of the board that set the original budget, which as Alan Rough noted was for at least a 2nd place finish.

£80k of income and the difference between qualifying and not qualifying for the playoffs. A lot changed.

I’m not blaming it on his budget. I’m blaming it on the board that set that budget.

They should never have set it.

that aside - rushing back from the cushy seats in the Rangers Directors Box -desperate to sack McCall would seem at best strange behaviour for any Football Club Board - the question is what was behind the desperate rush ?

I don’t know why you’re asking me this when I, and many others, questioned the timing of the announcement at the time.

53 minutes ago, Lambies Lost Doo said:

Did they not all resign in a big huff after fan protests?

Not all of them resigned.  We still had Smilie and Gerry as CEO.  Both out of the door weeks after TJF committed funds after the financial loss was announced.  Both were implicit with the shares fiasco, yet it seems from the outside they were still able to decide crucial club decisions whilst leading an intern board.

8 hours ago, Woodstock Jag said:

Clearly less than Dundee but not wild to say it was at least in the same ballpark as QP.

To say we have “no idea” is not accurate. We can’t say exact figures but it’s very obvious that our budget was substantially higher than that of most Clubs in the division last year.

This informed the stated expectations of the board that set the original budget, which as Alan Rough noted was for at least a 2nd place finish.

£80k of income and the difference between qualifying and not qualifying for the playoffs. A lot changed.

I’m not blaming it on his budget. I’m blaming it on the board that set that budget.

They should never have set it.

I don’t know why you’re asking me this when I, and many others, questioned the timing of the announcement at the time.

So we stop rewriting History to suit the current Narrative 

the clubs financial problems were not due to McCalls Budget - we had a larger proportion of Non Playing Budget Costs than we have ever had in our History when we were in the lower leagues - the attempt to somehow make out it was “McCalls Budget” is disgraceful - and its not the first time Ive heard this rubbish being touted

Our Budget was not anywhere near QP this is nonsense - and I doubt it was as high as Dundee - we would have been in the top 4 Budgets - the aim was a top 4 finish

What we do however know is this - at Xmas the Board knew we had a £600K shortfall - and we were going bust

Now any Board would cut costs at every level - reduce the Cash Burn drastically - ditch everything apart from the first team squad - they didnt - have you ever questioned why ?

Instead they choose to Play Football Manager 2023 - things were not great on the park - but neither were they a disaster - we were not getting relegated 

So you have this Train hurtling  towards you called Bankruptcy - instead of dealing with it you decide - know what -lets react to whats been said on the FTOF FB page and the chat at Munns and sack McCall 

Actually - come to think of it - lets get McCall out the door as quickly as possible dont let him stay one hour more than he has to- lets rush back from Ibrox to do so   

And appoint another “ Thistle Legend” 

And at No Point did TJF stop and think - WTF is going on here ? we are going bust ? 

And the Boards solution to the £600K shortfall - a draw against Rangers ie luck and a handout from a Fan 

but they sacked McCall and appointed a Legend - so that makes it all OK and TJF have no issue with this ? 

14 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

I honestly have no idea how he has continued to get Contracts for 10 Years - and then get a Contract for another Two Years 

I was being sarcastic ref the "Club Legend" - he has been at Thistle for 10 Years - thats it 

We kept him and got rid of Sean Welsh - No idea why 

I hate being overly negative or picking on a player and I sincerely hope that Bannigan goes out on Saturday and has a brilliant performance. I'll be certainly post on here praise him if it happens and just to be clear suggesting Bannigan shouldn't be a Thistle player, I just thought it would be a 1 year deal rather than 2 and this season he would be a backup not someone that played no matter what. However the above point from @Jordanhill Jag is a really good comparison in my opinion.

Bannigan was really good player until he had his injury in season 15/16. After that he has never been the same player.

Welsh was arguably a better player. When Welsh was let go I assumed it was because he was a bit injury prone and unable to play enough games every season. I also assumed Archie had been told that his injury would mean he wouldn't be fit for a while and in fairness Welsh did only play 11 games for Falkirk in 17/18. Arguably Welsh did recover his pre-injury form.

However Bannigan got injured in season 15/16 and only played 6 games in the next 2 seasons. The type of injury Bannigan had was fairly serious so I don't think Archie wasn't aware that Bannigan would be out for a while.

Why did we stick by Bannigan but not Welsh? Only Archie can answer for that one. Archie was rumoured to have said his downfall was in being too loyal to some players maybe he wasn't loyal enough to Welsh or maybe we could have signed a midfielder we so desperately needed and avoided relegation if he hadn't been so loyal to Bannigan?

After Archie continues with Bannigan I can understand why Caldwell and McCall persevered. Caldwell was trying to get Erskine and Doolan out of the club so keeping Bannigan meant he didn't burn all bridges with the fans. McCall extends Bannigan's contract because we were a bottom of the table championship club when he took over that was about to play in league 1 which is a level Bannigan is more than capable of.

Prior to our financial meltdown I thought there was every chance of McCall becoming a sort of non coaching manager and a younger guy brought in as head coach, who would be in charge of matchday, training, tactics etc. Not an uncommon set up and probably better than throwing a novice manager in at the deep end. 

McCall's strengths always lay away from the training ground. He certainly wasn't overly criticised re recruitment and general man management. Conversely it stands to reason that no matter how potentially good at coaching and how tactically aware any incoming novice manager is he's likely to find the off the pitch side of management difficult. He could have every advanced coaching badge known to man and still struggle re recruitment, man management, arranging contracts etc.

Just why (I'm meaning generally) that anybody who has never been a manager before is expected to be suitably qualified at not just coaching, tactics and team selection but the other disciplines mentioned is baffling. You can add overseeing youth development (who goes on loan, who stays etc) and no doubt be expected to come up with a season on season development plan. Then when he fails or moves on the next in the door has to start all over again.

To me it looks like clubs at our level (in fact just about any club) have a choice of either picking a novice manager or an experienced manager. The former if chosen well is likely to be a fine coach and tactically aware but just as likely to struggle to find his feet overall managerially. The latter is 99% likely to have been sacked at another club, almost certainly due to failing on the pitch.

I think we should accept that finances are such that Doolan has to do it all by himself. Just as we should accept that ideally he wouldn't/shouldn't  be put in that position.  

So we stop rewriting History to suit the current Narrative 

the clubs financial problems were not due to McCalls Budget - we had a larger proportion of Non Playing Budget Costs than we have ever had in our History when we were in the lower leagues - the attempt to somehow make out it was “McCalls Budget” is disgraceful - and its not the first time Ive heard this rubbish being touted

Our Budget was not anywhere near QP this is nonsense - and I doubt it was as high as Dundee - we would have been in the top 4 Budgets - the aim was a top 4 finish

What we do however know is this - at Xmas the Board knew we had a £600K shortfall - and we were going bust

Now any Board would cut costs at every level - reduce the Cash Burn drastically - ditch everything apart from the first team squad - they didnt - have you ever questioned why ?

Instead they choose to Play Football Manager 2023 - things were not great on the park - but neither were they a disaster - we were not getting relegated 

So you have this Train hurtling  towards you called Bankruptcy - instead of dealing with it you decide - know what -lets react to whats been said on the FTOF FB page and the chat at Munns and sack McCall 

Actually - come to think of it - lets get McCall out the door as quickly as possible dont let him stay one hour more than he has to- lets rush back from Ibrox to do so   

And appoint another “ Thistle Legend” 

And at No Point did TJF stop and think - WTF is going on here ? we are going bust ? 

And the Boards solution to the £600K shortfall - a draw against Rangers ie luck and a handout from a Fan 

but they sacked McCall and appointed a Legend - so that makes it all OK and TJF have no issue with this ? 

JJ , When Doolan took over as interim manager he didn’t actually want the job , he took it on to “ help “ the Club, this was on the back of a downward spiral of the Club on and off the park.

He did well and got offered the job 

Re the finances , the previous Board were questioned about finances by TJF and were told everything was fine and they didn’t need any financial help.

JLow and her cronies then manipulated the accounts to show everything in the garden was rosy , it was only when the Fans Board took over when the shit hit the proverbial fan

When Doolan took over the Club was on a downward trajectory and he helped turn it around .

Why do you think McCall got the sack , would it be anything to do with losing 6 games in a row , getting beat by Cove or Hamilton at home ?

Even though Dools isn’t your friend we should be grateful to him for helping to turn the Club around.

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

JJ , When Doolan took over as interim manager he didn’t actually want the job , he took it on to “ help “ the Club, this was on the back of a downward spiral of the Club on and off the park.

He did well and got offered the job 

Re the finances , the previous Board were questioned about finances by TJF and were told everything was fine and they didn’t need any financial help.

JLow and her cronies then manipulated the accounts to show everything in the garden was rosy , it was only when the Fans Board took over when the shit hit the proverbial fan

When Doolan took over the Club was on a downward trajectory and he helped turn it around .

Why do you think McCall got the sack , would it be anything to do with losing 6 games in a row , getting beat by Cove or Hamilton at home ?

Even though Dools isn’t your friend we should be grateful to him for helping to turn the Club around.

Ok and again for the record - I have no issue with anyone being sacked for Football reasons - I have no issue with Dools 

however the Jlo Board stepped down - the new board discovered a £600k shortfall at Xmas - we were heading for Bankruptcy

so any competent Board would take steps to cut costs in all aspects of the Club outwith the H&S - stadium and first team - everything else is a business choice

Note this is in January -before we got Rangers in the draw - we then get lucky - £300K from the Rangers Game - but we still need another £300K to the end of the Season 

So at this juncture - rather than think - ok lets start looking at cutting non essential costs - instead they think  - Know what - results have been poor - we are a point outside the playoffs - lets sack the Manager instead /and for good measure - lets rush back from Ibrox to get him out the door as soon as we can as he has committed the heinous crime of some poor results ? The rushing back from Ibrox is disgraceful 

So my question is simple - do you think anyone involved in this -should still be at the Club ? 

33 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

Ok and again for the record - I have no issue with anyone being sacked for Football reasons - I have no issue with Dools 

however the Jlo Board stepped down - the new board discovered a £600k shortfall at Xmas - we were heading for Bankruptcy

so any competent Board would take steps to cut costs in all aspects of the Club outwith the H&S - stadium and first team - everything else is a business choice

Note this is in January -before we got Rangers in the draw - we then get lucky - £300K from the Rangers Game - but we still need another £300K to the end of the Season 

So at this juncture - rather than think - ok lets start looking at cutting non essential costs - instead they think  - Know what - results have been poor - we are a point outside the playoffs - lets sack the Manager instead /and for good measure - lets rush back from Ibrox to get him out the door as soon as we can as he has committed the heinous crime of some poor results ? The rushing back from Ibrox is disgraceful 

So my question is simple - do you think anyone involved in this -should still be at the Club ? 

As I said before the only thing wrong was the timing , but it was the correct decision as was proved by getting to the play off final and our run obviously helped with the finances as well

We do agree it wasn’t the right time but IMO something had to change.

14 minutes ago, jlsarmy said:

As I said before the only thing wrong was the timing , but it was the correct decision as was proved by getting to the play off final and our run obviously helped with the finances as well

I would say that it speaks volumes of those making the decisions - rather than deal with the fact that we could be going bankrupt - they preferred to dabble in Football stuff - sacking MCCall appointing Dools -gives the impression of action 

Chopping overhead - Cutting Costs - thats hard - balancing budgets - not popular - so lets avoid that and play Fifa 2023 instead - in fact lets look really tough -rush back from Ibrox - spring the cunning plan that it had already been decided

I will say it again - anyone involved in the whole saga should not be - im my opinion involved at the Club 

1 hour ago, jlsarmy said:

I would agree on the timing …. At least 6 months too late

• Like 3

14 hours ago, jlsarmy said:

Do you remember last season and how bad we were before Doolan took over 

Cove and Hamilton at home are still in my memory 

It’s not a free hit but if you want progression at a football club it doesn’t happen overnight 

If you remember when Jackie Mac took over , first season was mid table and then we progressed the following season and Archie got us over the line .

In terms of development of our Football Club as a whole this isn’t going to happen overnight or even in a season 

If we had gone up last season IMO we would have come straight back down as there was no infrastructure in place , we would have had to recruit  almost a new team as the majority of players we had aren’t good enough for the Premier League as was shown on Sunday at Tynecastle

Maybe Doolan overachieved last season taking us to the Final , there was no chance that would have happened under Ian McCall 

Think there has got to be a bit of perspective here .

There is no reason why we could not have been promoted last season 

it now seems to be we spent more than any body else so McCall underachieved , to Doolan over achieved to well we shouldn’t have got promoted as we weren’t ready !!!

There is no reason we can’t finish in the top four and if we get promoted we should grab it with both hands !

4 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

There is another way of looking at it. We had a home draw against lower league opponents in the cup in January. The Board might have said let’s wait and see if we win and we might get lucky with the next round draw that will give us some more breathing space. 

1 hour ago, Lenziejag said:

There is another way of looking at it. We had a home draw against lower league opponents in the cup in January. The Board might have said let’s wait and see if we win and we might get lucky with the next round draw that will give us some more breathing space. 

So your looking down the Barrel of a £600K Black Hole and the strategy is lets see if we get lucky in the Draw ? Why not take all the Money you have in the Bank and bet it on Paddys Boy in the 2:30 at Newmarket - its the same thing !!! 

33 minutes ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

So your looking down the Barrel of a £600K Black Hole and the strategy is lets see if we get lucky in the Draw ? Why not take all the Money you have in the Bank and bet it on Paddys Boy in the 2:30 at Newmarket - its the same thing !!! 

It's not the same thing, as the cup win example has implied odds.

Going back to the point of the 'rush back from Ibrox' and sack McCall thing. This was a disgrace on many levels and even to the point that the aftermath of this, ruined our glorious defeat on that day.

Why anyone would have felt that to be a good idea, is beyond me and I've yet to hear anyone say that the timing of this was proper. I don't think there is any argument to be had on this.

The arguments around whether McCall should still be manager or if Doolan is good enough etc., are down to the individual.

Personally, I've always liked the idea of Doolan as Manager and Trainer, with McCall taking on the other duties. 

3 hours ago, CotterJag said:

Going back to the point of the 'rush back from Ibrox' and sack McCall thing. This was a disgrace on many levels and even to the point that the aftermath of this, ruined our glorious defeat on that day.

Why anyone would have felt that to be a good idea, is beyond me and I've yet to hear anyone say that the timing of this was proper. I don't think there is any argument to be had on this.

The arguments around whether McCall should still be manager or if Doolan is good enough etc., are down to the individual.

Personally, I've always liked the idea of Doolan as Manager and Trainer, with McCall taking on the other duties. 

My argument is that why given the very very serious issue we faced on finances would it be seen as “ important” enough to sit at a Board Meeting - go through the decision to sack the Manager - but ( and this is important) actually go to the bother of planning the rushing back from Ibrox to do so - all the time there is a huge thing sitting in the Corner with flashing lights called a £300K shortfall- shouting pick me pick me - Im the key issue 

but nope - instead lets plan our hasty return from Ibrox 

what does that say about the mindset ? 

unbelievable 

10 hours ago, CotterJag said:

I have no problem with this. If it was me, and my manager had decided to sack me, I would want to know as soon as possible. We also do not know if McCall knew it was comming. If so, there might have been security issues. One job where I handed in my notice rather than being sacked, my manager had security escort me from the building there and then as that was the company policy. Did the board think that there was a risk of malevolent activity from McCall ?

6 hours ago, Jordanhill Jag said:

My argument is that why given the very very serious issue we faced on finances would it be seen as “ important” enough to sit at a Board Meeting - go through the decision to sack the Manager - but ( and this is important) actually go to the bother of planning the rushing back from Ibrox to do so - all the time there is a huge thing sitting in the Corner with flashing lights called a £300K shortfall- shouting pick me pick me - Im the key issue 

but nope - instead lets plan our hasty return from Ibrox 

what does that say about the mindset ? 

unbelievable 

How many times have you asked this same question and not got an answer.

We don't know the facts and never will. Please play another record.

• Like 1